Sudden death, other rabbit not eating

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It was an absessed tooth. An infected tooth. It's 800 to 1200 dollars to get it x rated and pulled and I guess very life threatening if I don't. My inscurance told me they would cover $97 which is worthless! That kind of money is crazy. I don't even know what to do! What would yu do in my situation? I know I can't let him suffer even tho he isn't in pain now I'm sure it would get to that point.

I'm so sorry :( You could call around to different vets to see if you can find a better price. Sometimes that can make a big difference, though of course you still want a vet experienced in doing this type of thing.

You could try antibiotics for a while. It may or may not help without the tooth removal, and it may be quite a longterm thing. I know bicillin has been used for jaw abscesses successfully. And you'll have to keep cleaning out the wound each day regardless of tooth removal. Abscesses/infections can be very difficult things to treat, aside from the fact of whether or not the tooth is removed. In some cases the tooth can't be removed if the infection has compromised the jaw bone. You may have a better idea of what to do once xrays are done.

If you want to read up on the medication and this type of problem, here are a few links. I hope you are able to find a good solution and treatment for your bun, and please continue to let us know how he is doing.
http://people.umass.edu/~jwmoore/bicillin/bicillin.htm
http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/jawabscess.html
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Bacterial/Absc_treat/abscess_treat.htm (warning: medical photos)

Why will your insurance only pay $97? Is it specific rabbit insurance? If so I would refuse to accept that and I would check the terms of your cover.

I'm guessing you have VPI, as they're the only ones I know of in the US that insure exotics... VPI is pretty crummy because their coverage is based off a benefits schedule (that hasn't kept pace with rising vet costs) rather than a % of the actual bill like most pet insurance companies do :(.

One thing you might look into is Pet Assure... not that many vets accept it (I get the feeling there's not much in it for the vets - I don't see anything to indicate that the vets get reimbursed for the discount they give you, heh) so you might have to use a different vet for this, but it's a flat 25% discount on ALL vet services and because it's a discount program (rather than insurance), pre-existing conditions ARE covered.

Another option is to look for veterinary schools in your area to see if you could get the surgery done more cheaply through one of them.

I called around and found a vet that has done this before and it's a little cheaper she said the last bunny they did it was around 350 to $400 which is still a lot for me I started a fundraiser at petchance.org idk if any of yu have ever herd of it, I'm just waiting for them to confirm with my vet before they can start it. They said it would only take but 2 days to confirm. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, bc I know it has to be done soon. The wound on his neck is actually looking a little better. But I know it can still come back as long as the tooth is still there.

Why will your insurance only pay $97? Is it specific rabbit insurance? If so I would refuse to accept that and I would check the terms of your cover.

I know I'm a little confused about it. It says it covers 90% and it has a maximum of $2000 per accident or illness. Im going to call again and talk to someone else. Yes I have the exotics pet plan.

I'm guessing you have VPI, as they're the only ones I know of in the US that insure exotics... VPI is pretty crummy because their coverage is based off a benefits schedule (that hasn't kept pace with rising vet costs) rather than a % of the actual bill like most pet insurance companies do :(.

One thing you might look into is Pet Assure... not that many vets accept it (I get the feeling there's not much in it for the vets - I don't see anything to indicate that the vets get reimbursed for the discount they give you, heh) so you might have to use a different vet for this, but it's a flat 25% discount on ALL vet services and because it's a discount program (rather than insurance), pre-existing conditions ARE covered.

Another option is to look for veterinary schools in your area to see if you could get the surgery done more cheaply through one of them.

Yes it is VPI the new vet I found, the lady I talked to said that there is a card I can apply for that's kind of like a credit card but is used for vet bills. But if they do a credit check I probably couldn't get it since I couldn't even get a Khols or ic penny card.

I called around and found a vet that has done this before and it's a little cheaper she said the last bunny they did it was around 350 to $400 which is still a lot for me I started a fundraiser at petchance.org idk if any of yu have ever herd of it, I'm just waiting for them to confirm with my vet before they can start it. They said it would only take but 2 days to confirm. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, bc I know it has to be done soon. The wound on his neck is actually looking a little better. But I know it can still come back as long as the tooth is still there.

I'll be hitting your fundraiser as soon as I can. Is it active now? Let me know..
Vanessa

I'll be hitting your fundraiser as soon as I can. Is it active now? Let me know..
Vanessa

I actually have 2 of them I signed up for the petchance.org isn't active yet because they call my vet to make sure my info is legit it said 2 days but the weekend probably didn't count so I'm hoping it will start today bc I feel more confident about that one since they call my vet and everything. but I have one on give forward that is active now here Is the link http://gfwd.at/1aTPymE.

Ok I just donated $50... and posted it to my facebook page and some other rabbit pages I know. I'm hoping others will pitch in and donate as well so you can get going to the doctor... how soon can you go?

Vanessa

I
Ok I just donated $50... and posted it to my facebook page and some other rabbit pages I know. I'm hoping others will pitch in and donate as well so you can get going to the doctor... how soon can you go?

Vanessa

i just received it! Thank yu so much. It meens a lot! I want to get him there by next Wednesday bc the lady I talked to at Allen veterinary hospital in ft Wayne Indiana said that even though his wound is looking better and he's not acting painful he still plays and eats, she said even if it does heel up that tooth will cause the lump to come back. She said rabbits can crash fast one day they will be fine and they can be horrible the next day. My vet has him on baytril until the tooth is pulled. She seemed pretty confident that they have done this a lot and that they will get my buns better. So his insurance should be refunding me $75 from his vet visit the other day and I'm putting that towards his procedure. And then your 50$ the bad thing about his insurance is that whatever they cover I have to come up with it first then they refund me

I

i just received it! Thank yu so much. It meens a lot! I want to get him there by next Wednesday bc the lady I talked to at Allen veterinary hospital in ft Wayne Indiana said that even though his wound is looking better and he's not acting painful he still plays and eats, she said even if it does heel up that tooth will cause the lump to come back. She said rabbits can crash fast one day they will be fine and they can be horrible the next day. My vet has him on baytril until the tooth is pulled. She seemed pretty confident that they have done this a lot and that they will get my buns better. So his insurance should be refunding me $75 from his vet visit the other day and I'm putting that towards his procedure. And then your 50$ the bad thing about his insurance is that whatever they cover I have to come up with it first then they refund me

I'm going to see what I can do about getting you some more donations..
Hang in there and go ahead and set the apt for next Weds. I got some friends I'm talking to that will give me the money and I can make donations for them via credit card. Don't let your bun suffer any more. We are going to make this happen!

Vanessa

I'm going to see what I can do about getting you some more donations..
Hang in there and go ahead and set the apt for next Weds. I got some friends I'm talking to that will give me the money and I can make donations for them via credit card. Don't let your bun suffer any more. We are going to make this happen!

Vanessa

Thank yu Vanessa! I was so worried after his vet visit when the vet said it was life threatening and then I herd the price! I didn't really think I had any options I didn't know what to do. I knew I wasn't going to let him suffer but I didn't want to put him to sleep either. I held him forever that night

Vanessa I just tried to reply to your message it's not showing it on my end did yu get my reply?

We are at the vet now :( my poor baby is nervous. I hope they keep him away from the dogs. My local vet always keeps him in the room with the kitties so the dogs doesn't scare him

We are at the vet now :( my poor baby is nervous. I hope they keep him away from the dogs. My local vet always keeps him in the room with the kitties so the dogs doesn't scare him

Awww, poor baby! I hope he is ok and I think the kittens wouldn't scare him too much! Heck my rabbits are not scared of my dogs at all. Only when they growl at each other!! But walking near where the bunnies are, they are actually curious! :)

Praying for you guys..

Vanessa

Latest posts

Back