Sudden death, other rabbit not eating

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ya when I give it to him it will be gone in minutes! I just don't know if I should limit him or just let him eat what he wants.

ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1388533184.819690.jpg can yu see the bump or bubble under his chin? It just feels like fur to me but he jumps every time I try to feel it but it just doesn't look right to me!

In some pics, it looks like a dewlap (which is mostly a female thing, but some males get them too), but in others it looks a bit odd... I can't say with certainty whether or not it's something to be concerned about. Does it feel like "extra"/loose skin or something more substantial?

In some pics, it looks like a dewlap (which is mostly a female thing, but some males get them too), but in others it looks a bit odd... I can't say with certainty whether or not it's something to be concerned about. Does it feel like "extra"/loose skin or something more substantial?

Yeah it does look like a dewlap both Brooke and Lady have one... I think it's from them being pigs. I'm going to have to make them work out more instead of eating and sleeping like little pigs. Chico and chica doesn't but they are more athletic at times than those two..

Vanessa

Actually, dewlaps don't necessarily correlate with weight issues - it's just a genetic thing ;) (though they tend to stand out more on rabbits who have a larger frame and/or who are overweight, and not all females have them in the same way that some males do)

It just feels like fur really it started with just a little bit of fur sticking out. I thought it was sticking out because when I was syringe feeding him it would drop on his chin and I couldn't get it all cleaned off. I thought maybe it was from him cleaning it off but then it got bigger. He seems fine to me. I'm going to look up some pictures of dewlops and compare

Has your vet looked at it? Is this something that has suddenly appeared?

Yes it has appeared within id say a week, but I didn't really notice how big it has got until today, I'll probably stop by the vet and ask what they think just in case. What is a dewlop? Is it like fat? Extra or loose skin? Or just fur?

That's NOT a dewlap. A dewlap is like a double chin, and most often it's the females that get them, but it isn't going to develop over only a week. I would be very concerned over a lump that large, developing so quickly.

It's theoretically possible for a dewlap to "appear" to develop very suddenly - for the longest time I thought neither of my girls had one and then one day I suddenly realized that Gaz did, lol. That said, her dewlap is quite tiny and I can't see failing to notice something as big as what's on your rabbit.

A dewlap is extra skin whose purpose is to provide extra fur - the reason they're primarily a female thing is that the dewlap provides them with extra fur that they can pull out to add to their nest when they kindle. Why males occasionally get one is a bit of a mystery as far as I know.

I'm inclined to agree with JBun that the size and sudden appearance of what we're seeing on your rabbit isn't really in line with it being a dewlap. If it feels like loose, furred skin and not something more tangible then chances are it's not a tumor or growth of some sort... however, it's definitely still suspicious enough to warrant discussing with your vet in the near future.

I guess in that sense it could be a dewlap, if it developed slowly but it just wasn't noticed.

The pictures I see on google some of them look exactly like his, but I'm still not taking the chance, I'll probably still get him looked at

Yeah, better safe than sorry! Hopefully it is just a dewlap, but I'm sure you'll feel better after you've had it checked out :).

I don't know how to make a new thread but the lump on bun buns neck started to pretty much go away. And then came back so I made an appointment for Wednesday because that's the soonest the exotic vet will be in, so a day after I made the appointment (today) his lump popped and there is puss comming out! I got as much of the puss as I could with a wash cloth, but I really wish I could take him in now! I'm afraid if I wait until Wednesday it might get infected more with it being an open wound! I have no idea how to clean it or if I should even mess with it! I knew it was too good to be true when I thought it was going away! I'm so mad at myself for not taking him in anyways! He's still acting normal and eating normal and everything so I don't think he is in pain! I'm just so worried. :(

Squeeze as much of the puss out as you can, a couple times a day. Then if you have betadine, make a watered down solution, like the color of weak tea, and irrigate the wound with it. You may also want to give the vets office a call tomorrow and ask them what you should do with the wound until you see the vet Wed.

Latest posts

Back