Strange noises and suddenly mean :(

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ehxsnohs

Reaction score
I have a three month old holland lop female that used to be so sweet but I've noticed the past week or so she has suddenly become super skittish and anytime I put my hands into the cage to refill her food dish or give her more hay or veggies, will make this loud grunting noise and lunge at me as if shes going to bite. I dont know where this is coming from, she has free run of the room for at least 5/6 hours a day. Shes always been spoiled with tons of veggies/hay and has never had anything done to her that could have scared or hurt her. Ive had male rabbits in the past that were always so calm and happy so maybe this is normal for females? Help.

It sounds like she may have hit sexual maturity, so her hormones are kicking in. Becoming more territorial over her cage area and grunting/lunging would indicate that. You could look into having her spayed, as that may improve her temperament again. Otherwise, start from the beginning - sit with her in her room and do something quiet, like read a book, and pet her if she allows you when she approaches. My girl Clem has gotten more skittish and less accepting of pets around 4-5 months, so you're not alone.

I would also agree with the above statement. Spaying will more than likely help. Your rabbit is at the age that a lot of people put their buns' on Craigslist because they think they will stay that way. Just a little research would show them that the problem is easily fixable, and spaying also reduces the risk of uterine cancer.

Latest posts

Back