Storrs, Connecticut show - October 18, 2009

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm going to Lebanon, PA. Yeah, and I have my room reservations already too! LOL! But it's only a 5 hour drive for me! (But we've hit some really nasty weather going in both directions! Remember the year it was below -10 every day... and on Sunday it went above "0" and everyone started to cheer!!!?)

Now that I'm home and not on Ali's laptop where I keep deleting my LONG posts two sentences before I'm done....I'll share.

I LOVED the show. It was flemmie heaven for me - being around 130 plus flemmies...I loved it.

I loved the ice cream....chocolate fudge crunch...yum.

But the very very best part - was seeing Cathy (and getting a big hug) and seeing Roger - and Sharon - and of course - Ali. That really made the day for me.

I left the show with the following thoughts in mind...

1. Someday I'd like to get a Netherland Dwarf that is show quality - not so much to show - but because they are cute. I will be looking for personality first though.

2. I may get a polish at some time too - once again - for personality.

3. Mini rex (at least Roger's) aren't what I thought they were like - and next time I go to a show Roger is at - I'm taking a large purse and leaving early (with a plane reservation that includes bringing a pet along). His mini rex were awesome (I didn't spend time with Cathy's as I was too focused on the flemmies).

I also found the breeder I want to get more flemmies from - and Art is even in favor of the idea. Boy - am I shocked.

All in all - the day was one I'll always cherish and hold close to my heart. It was the perfect near-ending to my vacation...

Peg,

So your saying that if we go to the same show again I have to count my bunnies and check your purse before you leave??

It was nice meeting you in person Peg and I am glad that my MR changed your mind about the breed.

Roger

RAL Rabbitry wrote:
Peg,

So your saying that if we go to the same show again I have to count my bunnies and check your purse before you leave??

It was nice meeting you in person Peg and I am glad that my MR changed your mind about the breed.

Roger

Um......Um.....

Yeah...sorta.

I may PM you about if you ever ship - I was telling Art about your rabbits and he was even going, "Wow...I can see why you'd want one."

I think absence makes him more agreeable to my bunny wants - he even agreed to me bringing in more flemmies from the East Coast next year (but I'm limited to 3 at most - 2 light greys and 1 white).

Your mini rex were awesome - they really were. I think I could've held them for hours.

The most interesting part was that I'd just talked to Art and found out that two more rabbits had died from a virus and it was all I could do to keep from crying - and petting your mini rex was so therapeutic and it just helped me to keep from becoming hysterical or something since I was so tired.

Yeah - I can definitely see a mini-rex in my future - if it comes from your rabbitry!

Sorry you lost some rabbits. It's always hard.

Whenever you decide to ship let me know. We'll slip one in to the carrier LOL. The flemish would never even notice!

RAL Rabbitry wrote:
Sorry you lost some rabbits. It's always hard.

Whenever you decide to ship let me know. We'll slip one in to the carrier LOL. The flemish would never even notice!

I'll probably hold you to that....your mini rex are just so awesome.

Honestly - I've never ever cared for minirex before and couldn't see why people loved them so much other than the fur. The personality of the mixes I'd had were super hyper and demanding and I just felt like they weren't for me.

But holding yours and petting yours really was therapeutic and they were so good natured and calm. It shows that you breed for personality...

I have to add here (partly for Ali who loved his rabbits too) - here is the breeder I met at the show that I'm adding rabbits from.

I was not only impressed by his rabbits - but by the breeder himself. I watched him with his son - I watched him with other people - and I watched him with his rabbits and how he handled them.

http://iberiaflemishgiants.tripod.com/id12.html

I can hardly wait to get light greys from him next spring/summer to add to our breeding program.

(Of course I'm hoping to beg, buy or steal (but not borrow) a white from Cathy at some point in time too).

Juan is one of the nicest people that I have met in the rabbit world.A true gentleman!

RAL Rabbitry wrote:
Juan is one of the nicest people that I have met in the rabbit world.A true gentleman!

So you'll put in a good word for me too - right?

Seriously - when I started thinking about breeding flemmies - the two people Cathy told me about were Juan and Jack Langley...Jack lives in Texas...so I went with him.

Now that I've seen Juan's rabbits - WOW.

We talked about bringing some down here this spring and he said that if his rabbits start breeding Jack's rabbits - or if the offspring of my pairings beat Jack's rabbits...he wants to know immediately.

"True gentleman" - that's exactly how I described him to Art last night...

Sure I'll put in a good word for you.

I would ship as early in the spring as possible, flemish don't do well with the heat. I would also use Continental Quickpak. They guarantee that the animals they ship are always kept in climate controlled conditions on the ground and in the air.

I do take into account personality when I breed my rabbits. I won't breed a rabbit with temperament issues. I handle my babies from day one and feel that's why they are friendly. I am looking into the possibilities of using some of my retired breeding rabbits for therapy work.

Let me know when you are ready and I will pick out a good one for you. Maybe a doe with a surprise inside. There are lots of people that show MR in Texas.

Roger

Oooh...a doe with a surprise inside...awesome!

I just got an email back from Juan (he mentioned me to his breeder's club too - I am dying to find out what he said..).

He gave me his list of current litters and upcoming litters and after looking at his website - I feel like a little kid giddy about Christmas because the Christmas wish book catalog has come in the mail.

He has a doe that is due around November 5th - and I'm seriously considering seeing about getting something out of her (depending upon what she has). I figure that way we're probably looking at shipping in February/March (I don't know if he'd be comfortable shipping them at 8 weeks - nor would I...perhaps a couple of weeks later?).

So much to consider.

The one positive thing about the virus that went through my rabbitry is that it cut my numbers down. I was limiting myself to my five flemish until I rehomed or lost at least 20-30 rabbits. Now I can seriously consider adding another 3-5 by springtime and being comfortable with that number.

But a MR doe with a surprise inside...oh wow...that would be fun. I've got to say that based on what I've seen of MR on the show tables down here - I'd probably be winning on the tables as they are no where near as nice as your MR.

And that was even when I wasn't considering getting a MR!

Oh Cathy....be expecting a pm from me.

Know that breeding that was done after the show? The one with the buck I LOVED?

Well - I may be getting something from one of Juan's litters due in November (meaning - I won't be getting it for a while)....and I may try to steal a rabbit from you in that shipment.

Um...borrow?

Beg?

Thanks Cathy but there are alot of very nice mini-rex out there.

Peg, now for the hard part!! Picking a variety of MR

RAL Rabbitry wrote:
Thanks Cathy but there are alot of very nice mini-rex out there.

Peg, now for the hard part!! Picking a variety of MR

Yup! Lots of very nice ones out there... and yours are tops!

Ohhh! CASTOR Peg!!! Get a Castor!

I want whatever one Roger had me hold (that color) - I think it is castor?

GORGEOUS color....but even more awesome personality.

Peg,

You held Tigger one of my herd bucks. He was BOB that day in the in the Specialty. He wasn't entered in the show. The senior buck that was entered decided to have a bad hair day and start his molt so I substituted Tigger and he came through with flying colors. Castor is one of my favorites as well as black otters.

So a castor doe it is!

Oh man...I forgot they came in black otters - that is one of my favorite colors too.

I'll just have you surprise me - I love both colors.

I was telling Art about getting a MR doe with a "surprise inside" and he rolled his eyes at me.

BUT...he didn't say "no".

Latest posts

Back