Storm left without us.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Catlyn

Reaction score
I had a normal morning until i saw my email. Curious, i called the vet hospital to ask about the sudden bill.
I also called dad and got hold of him after a while.
Sunday morning, the 4th of this november, Dad had taken Storm to the (emergency) vet for lack of appetite, hard belly and small poops after gas drops didn't help. Kudos to my parents for recognizing a serious health issue with Storm. Not-so-much for not taking Iris along to help her hubby in recovering. I later got an explanation that if Iris were tagging along, we would've had another 150 to pay for her also staying overnight.
He stayed two nights, having made a full recovery by the second evening. Parents headed out to bring our then-healthy boy back home to his girl.
Shock hit us all when the vet had proclaimed: Storm's heart failed him even after attempts of resuscitation and he has thus passed away.
''It must be a sick joke, right? Please tell me it is!'' I asked dad when he'd finished calmly explaining how Storm had made the recovery, only to, with strained voice, follow with Storm having mysteriously died the morning he was supposed to return to his wife.
I couldn't even say goodbye to him like i could for the other two boys who left me before.
I am also worried about how Iris will handle the loss of her husband. She stuck to him like glue, quite often literally joined at the hip. I think she knows that he isn't coming back. Mum said that she's switching between slouching in the spot Storm hunched in before going to the vet, and absolutely gluing herself to my parents. It will be a few more weeks before i can see her again. I'll never be able to see Storm alive though. Heck, I'm regretting my life choices right now. Should've stayed home more.
I'm at a total loss...flopabun.jpg

Dad sent me a picture...

Attachments

• 1670330352282_20221206_125232.jpg
    16.4 MB · Views: 3
I am very sorry for yours and Iris' hearts. It won't be easy for either of you.
But in time it will be ok.

Just keep an eye in your girl for depression which can bring on not eating and another bet visit.

Do not be hard on yourself with shoulda coulda's they don't help.

Just know your Storm is no longer in pain and will be waiting for you and his widowed wife on the other side.

Well, the vet did call me like i was told she would.
She guided me through the basic effects of the medications and what they were for. Apparently rabbits can also get nauseous and refuse food because of it.
She also explained what happened monday/tuesday night.
Storm had, in fact, been healthy enough on monday evening to come home-he was eating, drinking, pooping as usual and had regained his 'sparkle of life', the will to live on and go home.
Tuesday night at around two when the vet was doing her nightly round, she noticed that Storm's breathing was oddly shallow. Deciding to look into it, they took a chest xray which revealed that his torso had accumulated a mass of free fluid which was suppressing his lung capacity. They begun preparing to drain the fluids, but Storm's heartbeats started growing faint, so they switched to resuscitation instead.
Sadly it was too late.
At least i'll have peace of mind knowing that there weren't any signs of overdosing, the vet tried her best with what she could, and that they didn't just find Storm dead in the morning.
At least he had a good life with us, however short it was.

I managed to come to terms with the situation, for the most part.
It still very much hurts to think about it, but it seems that the sudden bleeding hole in my heart, that Storm rightfully tore off for himself when i learned of his death, has scabbed up rather fast compared to the two boys' scars before.

I managed to clear my mind with clearing the snow, and felt recovered enough to write a simple paragraph. It goes as follows, typing errors fixed:

It seems that although i still can't seem to fully accept that my beloved boy is dead forever, i've, at the very least, made peace with the circumstances of his passing, now armed with the knowledge that both my parents and the vets did their absolute best in an attempt to keep Storm from dying.
Even though he might've been with us for only about two and a half years, he lived happily with us all that time. And he loved us just as much as we loved him. And that's really all that i could selflessly ask for- a happy, healthy life for all of my rabbits, regardless of how little or long they live.

I'm so sorry :(

There's something about how they are teaching us to cope with losses, with that part of life we don't get prepared much for. i have a very similiar pet cemetary under a walnut tree.

I'm so sorry for your loss and hurt. We've had a couple that were fine in the morning with never a problem, and then when I went to feed them in the afternoon, they were gone. It still feels like my heart is bruised, but I can still pull memories of all the good and joyous times we had. Blessed be.

It's been a month already, my sir. I still weep at random for my heart continues to ache for you.
You came to me one night. You just stared at me with those magnificent space eyes, those that you showed only in utmost peace and content. You purred and just loafed for me, then flopped.
I saw Lümi right next to you, kissing your ear as you slept. The little white prince was buddying up to you like in the good days of the past, when you were both alive. So i know that you're just fine with your prince on the other side.
Your queen has also stopped mourning, it seems. She no longer fusses so much and has redirected her attention to us. After you went, for the first time, she's started giving me kisses and purposefully finding us for pets. Her favourite spot is the groove in the couch in which you two laid side by side. How i'd like to see it again, even once.
But you have Lümi with you, and we have Iris.

I had a normal morning until i saw my email. Curious, i called the vet hospital to ask about the sudden bill.
I also called dad and got hold of him after a while.
Sunday morning, the 4th of this november, Dad had taken Storm to the (emergency) vet for lack of appetite, hard belly and small poops after gas drops didn't help. Kudos to my parents for recognizing a serious health issue with Storm. Not-so-much for not taking Iris along to help her hubby in recovering. I later got an explanation that if Iris were tagging along, we would've had another 150 to pay for her also staying overnight.
He stayed two nights, having made a full recovery by the second evening. Parents headed out to bring our then-healthy boy back home to his girl.
Shock hit us all when the vet had proclaimed: Storm's heart failed him even after attempts of resuscitation and he has thus passed away.
''It must be a sick joke, right? Please tell me it is!'' I asked dad when he'd finished calmly explaining how Storm had made the recovery, only to, with strained voice, follow with Storm having mysteriously died the morning he was supposed to return to his wife.
I couldn't even say goodbye to him like i could for the other two boys who left me before.
I am also worried about how Iris will handle the loss of her husband. She stuck to him like glue, quite often literally joined at the hip. I think she knows that he isn't coming back. Mum said that she's switching between slouching in the spot Storm hunched in before going to the vet, and absolutely gluing herself to my parents. It will be a few more weeks before i can see her again. I'll never be able to see Storm alive though. Heck, I'm regretting my life choices right now. Should've stayed home more.
I'm at a total loss...View attachment 63078
Soo deeply sorry to hear about your sudden loss of Storm and so nice of your dad to bury him. RIP Storm, May you blink away hoppity in bunny heaven . 🤎😌

Lovely to see pics of them together… beautiful memories.

How is Storm’s wifey doing?

Will you get another bunny to keep her company???

Soo deeply sorry to hear about your sudden loss of Storm and so nice of your dad to bury him. RIP Storm, May you blink away hoppity in bunny heaven . 🤎😌

Lovely to see pics of them together… beautiful memories.

How is Storm’s wifey doing?

Will you get another bunny to keep her company???
Thanks.

Iris is doing good, from what we can tell.
She has adapted and comes to get attention from us, and she always gets it when she wants to.
She has also shared her attention with us-something that only Storm could get were her kisses, but now she gives me kisses quite often. Even dad gets her kisses whether he wants it or not! (Found out that dad isn't really fond of being kissed by a rabbit)

For the near future, Iris will remain a single rabbit. Until i can move out and get a permanent place to call my own, i can't give her everything she needs, what i want. Even then, finding her a new partner will be a challenge. As is, as long as she's still her usual self and actively seeking our attention, she'll be a single bun.

Well, sir. Half a year for you as well. Don't know what to say to you that i haven't already.
Just hope that you continue to have safe travels with the rest of the boys.
See you in december.

I can feel your pain. And I can understand your parents not bringing Iris with them. .when I took my black beauty to the vet, I didn't have time to think about grabbing her husbun too.
She passed away in my hands when we were waiting for the vet to come into the room 😔
Very beautiful area your dad has set up for visiting the ones that have passed on.
Iris may show signs of depression so keep an eye on her for the next two weeks and give her oodles of love and attention. Distraction and more time with you than you already give, may help her along.

I can feel your pain. And I can understand your parents not bringing Iris with them. .when I took my black beauty to the vet, I didn't have time to think about grabbing her husbun too.
She passed away in my hands when we were waiting for the vet to come into the room 😔
Very beautiful area your dad has set up for visiting the ones that have passed on.
Iris may show signs of depression so keep an eye on her for the next two weeks and give her oodles of love and attention. Distraction and more time with you than you already give, may help her along.
Thank you. Too bad that your buns couldn't be together at the very end.
It seems that you haven't checked the dates though. It's already been half a year since he went.
I'd also updated the thread and talked about how Iris had been doing better. She's completely okay. She finds us for snuggles and nips people, especially mum, when she doesn't get attention. She'll sleep on the bedtop counter and kiss dad's hair while she's there. She'll thump before hopping in my bed to climb to the greens rack. She used to scope and pull them from below with Storm. As she's lost the friendly competitioner, Iris does seem to be a bit lazier, but she's still binkying and throwing stuff around. Though i do think she occasionally wishes for a bunfriend to heat her up a bit. Yeah, Storm was like an oven.

Thank you. Too bad that your buns couldn't be together at the very end.
It seems that you haven't checked the dates though. It's already been half a year since he went.
I'd also updated the thread and talked about how Iris had been doing better. She's completely okay. She finds us for snuggles and nips people, especially mum, when she doesn't get attention. She'll sleep on the bedtop counter and kiss dad's hair while she's there. She'll thump before hopping in my bed to climb to the greens rack. She used to scope and pull them from below with Storm. As she's lost the friendly competitioner, Iris does seem to be a bit lazier, but she's still binkying and throwing stuff around. Though i do think she occasionally wishes for a bunfriend to heat her up a bit. Yeah, Storm was like an oven.
I’m so sorry for your loss! I grieve when every bunny passes and I bug my bunny with tons of affection because I’m always scared of losing her. Minx is so precious to me, my heart goes out to you.🙏🙏❤️‍🩹💔

It's been a year. I cannot believe it. I was broken so bad when you left us. I was so down, for so long. I somehow managed to get some light scorn for ending up in the hospital with the grief because of the ye olde ''a (insert pet type) isn't worth crying for''
Things have since calmed down and Iris is doing reasonably well without your physical presence. I've moved and she's come with me to a small cosy studio-like apartment. There's nothing bad for her to destroy, there's enough open floor, she doesn't slip all over the place and she is safe from mum's negilience and over-feeding of treats. Two and a half years with us later, she's finally learned to come when called by name. Only took a month of only being called by her real name. She's occasionally reminding me of you- the destroyed sheets, pillaged pillow, tackling me down for treats, nipping hard when tempted by an unreachable treat. She gets to live the near-perfect life you never lived long enough for. I still miss you, i still, to this day, find your hairs on my things. My one and only grumpy man. See you next year.

Latest posts

Back