Still drooling, but worse. Tried everything.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys. I'm back again with Alice and she's still drooling all over her face. (See my previous 2 threads for context.) Now she's losing fur too and it's happening more often.
I tried switching to a water bottle. I tried eliminating treats and decreasing pellets to like a tablespoon. I tried making a mix of hay. She still eats like crazy (almost all of her hay daily, which is a Lot) and drinks 2 cups of water a day. No lethargy, always bright and alert. Same behavior, still cuddly when she wants and sassy when she's not. But she's still drooling. Pictures attached below.
I'm so scared that it's an issue with her molars. Her front teeth look okay to me, but I obviously can't see her back teeth. (I tried. Got bitten.) I don't know how much it costs to get her under anesthesia and get her molars trimmed if that's the case. Does anyone have a quote/estimate? I'm, as stated before, a jobless teen with a family that Definitely isn't high-income. Is it even safe for her to have anesthesia? She's 5 years old and about 5.5 lbs if I remember correctly.
What do I do? I can't lose another rabbit to teeth issues. I'm so scared.

IMAGE CAPTIONS:
1. View of the right underside of her chin, showing fur loss and irritation. It looks practically the same on the other side.
2. Side view of Alice's face showing wet fur matted from drool.

ALSO. I have been drying her fur to the best of my ability to avoid wet dewlap/wet chin (I forgot the name, sorry) and rashes. It doesn't seem super red right now but I don't want it to get worse.

Attachments

• 20230714_195056.jpg
    20230714_195056.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230714_204135.jpg
    20230714_204135.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
I've got a feeling this must be a dental issue. Maybe just pop her to the vet to see if they can take a look inside her mouth while she's awake. It probably won't be massively accurate but if there's anything immediately obvious they may be able to see it. They quite often take a look in Miley's mouth with an otoscope during her normal appointments.
Good luck, you're doing a great job for her! ❤️

There's really no option but having a vet check her mouth again, and likely needing a dental procedure to correct the problem. It could be a few hundred dollars, or several hundred. Cost will depend entirely on the vet you see and what treatment and meds that are needed. You can always call around and ask for prices, though you may need to first take your rabbit in and get a diagnosis of what's causing the drooling.

The age of your rabbit doesn't necessarily put her at more risk, as 5 isn't very old, but the more experienced the vet is with rabbits can make make a big difference. Though a more experienced rabbit vet may sometimes cost more.

She looks like she's also developed moist dermatitis, or will be at risk of if she hasn't developed it already. And the problems will likely continue to worsen without the original cause being diagnosed and treated. So getting her seen to as soon as possible, may help keep the vet costs from continuing to increase for what treatment will be needed.

Medirabbit: moist dermatitis

(CONTAINS MEDICAL RELATED PHOTOS)
https://lbah.com/rabbit/rabbit-teeth-conditions/
Medirabbit: drooling

https://rabbit.org/veterinarians/
https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Choosing_a_rabbit_veterinarian

One of our rabbits, Norm, has a chronic back tooth issue. Before we adopted him they said he will need his back teeth cut every 6 months or so. He is 9 years old and does fine with the procedure. It is fairly quick, usually about 15 mins. Cost is around $250.

One of the symptoms he showed is drooling and taking an extended time to finish his veggies.

Back