Sticky potty

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

svmax

Reaction score
Hey there,

I have 2 rabbits(male&female) they are not spayed/neutered.
Female is of 3 months. Male is 1.5 months

Recently I have found that the pottty they do is sticky, I mean when they are in the cage, at the bottom there is a tray.

Previously the potty were small balls and were not sticky.

Now the potty balls are bigger and they are stuck in the tray, when I remove the tray and wash it, some potty comes out easily, but some can't be removed with water pressure.
So I have to remove it with a brush

Is there anything wrong?

It sounds like those are cecotropes, likely from the young male. All rabbits will eat their cecotropes which are moist, clustered cecal pellets (different from fecal pellets which are 'normal' poos). Young rabbits, however, can take awhile to get the hang of what they are supposed to do. They eventually figure out how to eat those pellets directly from their body. When they do that, then we never even see those cecotropes.

From your description, it sounds like your cage has a wire bottom with a tray below. Those are not ideal for rabbits since they can cause sore hocks, are uncomfortable for bunny, and can become a trap for bunny nails that then get a nail ripped right out.

Are your rabbits housed indoors or out?

This link shows photos of cecal vs fecal pellets:
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/GI_diseases/drop/Drp_en.htm

Can you post a picture of it? It could be uneaten cecals or it could be something more complicated. Are you saying there are no normal round fecal balls now? Are you seeing a jelly or mucous type substance in the poop as well, or any blood? Also what is their exact diet like(type/brand and amounts of pellets and hay, veggies, treats, etc)?

Back