Starting out?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aushi

Reaction score
I see myself breeding rabbits in the future (perhaps 5-8 years from now kind of future). I'd like to start educating myself. Where I'm from every rabbit you find is a pet store rabbit, you don't even know their age properly less their parents! We don't even have dog shelters, imagine any rabbit shelters. So with my breeding program I also plan on working on educating my country on these beautiful animals.

I'm a new bun owner, my buns are mixed breeds and I have no genetic/health records, so they won't be breeding, ever. But I'd like to educate myself properly if I do plan on breeding in the future. So here are some questions:

1. Since I'll be buying my rabbits for breeding, genetic/health history is important. I imagine in the US (closest place to me) it'd be easy to find. So where do you (if you're in the US) get your breeding stock from? Any online options? (though I'd prefer to travel and pick up myself)

2. Books? Books on breeds, standards, breeding, etc? Organization in the US that is in charge of breed standards and such?

Any other tips? :)

We get all our rabbits from other breeders. It is the most accurate way to find rabbits with a known genetic and health history. Do use caution though. Although very many breeders are trustful there are a handful of people who cant be trusted. A good breeder for a breed is one that does well in the breed club and is more than willing to educate new people on their breed. Plenty of breeders now a days have websites and you are able to contact them through there. Meeting someone in person is definitely a good option to have because a lot of breeders do not ship rabbits due to the cost and sometimes difficulties.

First visit the ARBA (American Rabbit Breeders Association) website here and there are links to all the breed websites just click on the breeds picture: https://www.arba.net/breeds.htm
Second look and buy the ARBA Standards of Perfection book. This has every breed and their accepted standard with a bunch of information. You can send in an order form from the ARBA website to order the book and it will be shipped to you.
Third join the ARBA facebook page. There are many people having discussions on there about different topics but its also a great way to get suggestions for good breeders of a breed you like or are interested in.

Latest posts

Back