Starting a Pedigree for Unpedigreed Rabbits?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hnms06 wrote:
Thanks! So if I sell before 6 months I just leave it blank and the new owner can fill it in?
Yes.

I thought about bringing up another discussion but it would complicate things too much. Its about the whole F1, F2, F3 thing - that you go through before rabbits are "purebred".

If y'all want to discuss that - feel free to ask -

TinysMom wrote:
hnms06 wrote:
Thanks! So if I sell before 6 months I just leave it blank and the new owner can fill it in?
Yes.

I thought about bringing up another discussion but it would complicate things too much. Its about the whole F1, F2, F3 thing - that you go through before rabbits are "purebred".

If y'all want to discuss that - feel free to ask -
I got question for this??

On my lionhead buck, hes pedigree haves F3 and F2?? Why's that? And 3rd of 5 at lionhead N??

The F3 and the F2 are not full pedigreed at that point (so they aren't purebred).

3rd of 5 at Lionhead Nationals means there were five in his category and he came in third out of the five.

I've read about f1 hybrid where a purebread is bread to another type of rabbit to change body type or whatnot. Does the f1 also apply to a rabbit that has a pedigree that for example only goes back 1 generation? or is this something else altogether?

So then I take it that hes pedigree and him is no good because there is a mix breed in there??

mistyjr wrote:
How could that be because they have to have a purebred to have a pedigree?
A rabbit does NOT have to be purebred to have a pedigree.

However - it MUST have a pedigree to be considered purebred.

There is nothing wrong with your buck's pedigree and it is not worthless. I am assuming that the F2 and F3 are in his parents/grandparents and not him. If so - that means that he is now purebred. If he is an F3 - that means his offspring will be considered "purebred".

I'm going to give an example using my doe Nyx - I only have half a pedigree on her.

Because I only have her mother's information - even though she is by blood "purebed" by pedigree she is "F1" - which means the first in the line towards becoming purebred.

Now let's say I breed her to Mercury (as I did) and I get a doe. She is now F2. (The bucks would also be F2).

Now I take the F2 doe - back to her dad Mercury for linebreeding. The F2 doe's babies become F3.

Now as long as I take those F3 babies and breed them to other F3s - OR - purebreds - their offspring will now be considered purebred. Why? They have three generations of documented flemish giants in their background.

TinysMom wrote:
mistyjr wrote:

There is nothing wrong with your buck's pedigree and it is not worthless. I am assuming that the F2 and F3 are in his parents/grandparents and not him. If so - that means that he is now purebred. If he is an F3 - that means his offspring will be considered "purebred".

I'm going to give an example using my doe Nyx - I only have half a pedigree on her.

Because I only have her mother's information - even though she is by blood "purebed" by pedigree she is "F1" - which means the first in the line towards becoming purebred.

Now let's say I breed her to Mercury (as I did) and I get a doe. She is now F2. (The bucks would also be F2).

Now I take the F2 doe - back to her dad Mercury for linebreeding. The F2 doe's babies become F3.

Now as long as I take those F3 babies and breed them to other F3s - OR - purebreds - their offspring will now be considered purebred. Why? They have three generations of documented flemish giants in their background.
He's pedigree
Grandparents and hes 4th great grand parents haves the F2 & F3

mistyjr wrote:
So then I take it that hes pedigree and him is no good because there is a mix breed in there??
I really need to point out something here.

A pedigree is basically a piece of paper that states the lineage behind the rabbit to "prove" it is purebred. It is useful in keeping records and knowing the parents of offspring - its useful for showing and getting rabbits registered and helping them get "grand champion" status when they get wins.

But as far as what comes into my barn - the pedigree means nothing compared to the rabbit themselves. I can see a typey rabbit with no pedigree and a non-typey rabbit with a pedigree and I'll pick the no-pedigreed rabbit hands down. Why? Because in three generations from that rabbit (which I can tell is high quality) - I'll have purebreds. Yeah - that may be two years down the road - but if the rabbit is good quality - I'll go ahead and get it.

mistyjr wrote:
TinysMom wrote:
mistyjr wrote:

He's pedigree
Grandparents and hes 4th great grand parents haves the F2 & F3
Once again - any rabbit can be "pedigreed". I can sell you an F2 rabbit that has a pedigree of the generations I know about - and it is a "pedigreed" rabbit. It just isn't a purebred rabbit.

There is a difference between "pedigreed" (meaning - it has papers) - and "purebred" (meaning it has the documentation on the papers to show its at least 3rd generation of that breed).

okay...

I was reading somewhere and i read that they have to have a pedigree to be able to be shown??

mistyjr wrote:
okay...

I was reading somewhere and i read that they have to have a pedigree to be able to be shown??
Maybe at ARBA Nationals? I don't know.

All of the shows I've ever been to - I never needed their pedigrees and I don't mess with taking them with me (unless I'm selling a rabbit -then I will take the rabbit's pedigree with me).

The only other case I can think of right off is the Statler Award (I think) for lionheads. In that case - they are judging the offspring (4 I think?) of one rabbit - and you need the four rabbits plus their pedigrees to prove that they are the offspring of the rabbit entered.

Back