Starting a Pedigree for Unpedigreed Rabbits?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hnms06

Reaction score
What is the best way to start a pedigree for Unpedigreed rabbits?

I understand the concept of the pedigree: information for both parents back 3 generations.

I am starting out with 2 rabbits that aren't pedigreed but would like to add pedigreed rabbits later and am wondering if it is important to start a pedigree for my babies. It seems like I should because some info is better than no info and and if I end up keeping any of my babies to breed then they are one step closer to a complete pedigree.

What do you think?

Thanks!

I want to also do this to my lion head babies. I was told to start the father and mother info and the babies. I want to do it too

I think that they would be considered F1 lionhead as they are first generation purebred because you know mom and dad are lionheads so you would basically take a blank pedigree mark everything unknown except sire and dam. One of the breeders on here used to breed lionheads and will probably be able to explain it to you and maybe even link you to a partial pedigree. good luck!

When i went to the show last week. I bought a lion head baby from this lady. One of her babies had a half of a pedigree.

Yeah that would be great! I know that if you breed a pedigreed rabbit with a non pedigreed rabbit the babies have a partial pedigree. I've found blank pedigrees online that you can enter the info in. I've also seen software made for making pedigrees but the ones I've found are $70-$80 and I don't really want to pay that much for software right now I'd rather get a doe! :D

I dont have the bunny. I just seen it at the show. I was going to get the bunny but I didnt know about the pedigree that way so I got the other bunny instead! Sorry

But I have a litter right now. They are 4 weeks old. When I start litter, Do keep one of the babies to make a pedigree. I am kinda lost on this pegiree part. I never filled one out or dont know what to do... :p

I will scan one of my old pedigrees tonight and post it as a picture.

It will probably take me a couple of hours to get around to doing this.

TinysMom wrote:
I will scan one of my old pedigrees tonight and post it as a picture.

It will probably take me a couple of hours to get around to doing this.
okay.. But I have a question though.. Do I keep one of the lionhead babies to start an pedigree? I have the momma and daddy, But the daddy is going to get sold. Hes colors and haves wooly texture on hes ears. I just want to start an pedigree on momma. So how do I do it. I never done this before and ever filled out a pedigree.

Thanks, Misty

Great thanks!

To Misty: If you keep one of your babies then it will have a partial pedigree that goes back 1 generation. If you sell all the babies then they will know the info for the parents and if they breed the baby they got from you then they can continue the pedigree.
Most pedigrees go back 3 generations but I believe some go back farther and all you have to do is fill in the blanks basically. That's about as much as I know about them so far! :D

So, I cant start one for the Momma, Just the babies?
I was wondering because, I have a litter of babies, The mom is black and the dad is chestnut. The babies are 2 chestnut and one haraquin baby. I am selling the daddy due to poor coat and haves wooly on hes ears. And I am keeping the momma, But I got a pedigree black tort last weekend. So their is no way that I can pedigree the momma.

Nope not unless you can find someway to track down her parents and their parents and then their parents. lol

Hijacking is fine! :D maybe we'll both get lots of info on pedigrees if someone else reads this!

Yeah, I have too agree with ya.. When Maybe if my haraquin baby is a doe, I will keep her and get rid of the rest. And start an pedigree on them. But the sucky thing is that momma isnt pedigree and my new baby is.

mistyjr wrote:
So, I cant start one for the Momma, Just the babies?
I was wondering because, I have a litter of babies, The mom is black and the dad is chestnut. The babies are 2 chestnut and one haraquin baby. I am selling the daddy due to poor coat and haves wooly on hes ears. And I am keeping the momma, But I got a pedigree black tort last weekend. So their is no way that I can pedigree the momma.
The pedigree is a record of the ancestors of that particular rabbit - not the offspring. So unless you know the parents and grandparents behind the rabbit - you can not do a pedigree on it.

You can however start a pedigree on the offspring of the rabbit since you know the mama and the daddy.

I hate sharing pedigrees on the internet because I know unethical breeders will forge them or copy them but change little things here and there. However - since Angel is a retired doe and I don't think her breeders are well-known - it wouldn't help anyone to use her information.

angelspedigree.jpg

You will notice Angel's name is on the far left and the n the pedigree is broken into two parts- with her sire's information on the top and her dam's information on the bottom.

Feel free to ask specific questions and I'll try to help.

Oh I came up with another pedigree question...

When making a pedigree for a baby when do you weigh them for the weight that goes on the pedigree? obviously their weight will change as they grow so is this something that is done before they are sold?

Latest posts

Back