%*$&#@! Squirrels!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
0600236_160_CC_v1_m56577569830812111.jpg

Hi can you get something like this. I would think it wouldn't be that easy to chew through. And you can sit on it.

Susan

Hrmm... I like both of those ideas (metal can and box storage/bench). I just need to get the money together (being unemployed STINKS!).

I wonder if I can find a metal one that's big enough...

We keep our sheep feed and goat feed in metal cans in the shed. We get the cans at Tractor Supply. They have several sizes.

We're down to 1 sheep and 1 goat right now. The sheep is a pet - he's no longer able to be shown.

so....

• 1 sheep
  • 1 goat
  • 2 cats
  • 2 dogs
  • 2 horses
  • 3 rabbits
We'll be getting lambs before long...... and maybe a kid.

Aww! I didn't know you had horses! *jealous* What kind of horses? :p

I want a herd of fainting goats :p I bet they would keep the squirrels away. I can see it now... little squirrel hops up onto porch, goat falls over *thud* Squirrel leaps of porch from the noise...

Heh...

LOL! I love those fainting goats.

You didn't know about the horses? I feel like I talk about them all the time! We have 2 quarter horses. Pokie is a red dun and Dakota is a chestnut. He's like a big puppy! He's my puppy horse! LOL!

Bo B Bunny wrote:

You didn't know about the horses? I feel like I talk about them all the time! We have 2 quarter horses. Pokie is a red dun and Dakota is a chestnut. He's like a big puppy! He's my puppy horse! LOL!
I love chestnut horses! Bays are my favorite, though :p lol Gray dapple with black points, too :D

I want a horse now :( I'd love to see my apartment manager's face when I would ask about owning a horse here lol

I'm not sure what to suggest to keep them from chewing your storage containers, but I do have one recommendation as far as keeping the squirrels from eating the seed. Safflower seed is one that squirrels have been known to avoid if they have more desirable options for food. It also tends to be less desirable to birds like European Starlings and Grackles which typically hang around feeders often. Safflower is a favorite of cardinals and other birds like titmice and nuthatches will feed on it as well. So, that might be something you want to try in the future.

good luck :)

I love bays also! I want a mammoth mule tho! I want the kind that look like a castor bunny. LOL!

Pokie's zebra stripes on her legs are pretty darned cute tho! and her dorsal stripe!

kherrmann3 wrote:
Bo B Bunny wrote:

I love chestnut horses! Bays are my favorite, though :p lol Gray dapple with black points, too :D

I want a horse now :( I'd love to see my apartment manager's face when I would ask about owning a horse here lol

pipwin wrote:
I'm not sure what to suggest to keep them from chewing your storage containers, but I do have one recommendation as far as keeping the squirrels from eating the seed. Safflower seed is one that squirrels have been known to avoid if they have more desirable options for food. It also tends to be less desirable to birds like European Starlings and Grackles which typically hang around feeders often. Safflower is a favorite of cardinals and other birds like titmice and nuthatches will feed on it as well. So, that might be something you want to try in the future.

good luck :)
Ugh! THAT'S what I forgot to get at the seed store! I was meaning to get safflower for that exact reason. Bleh. Now I have to go back...

I don't mind starlings too much. They've never been much of a problem. We've shot all of our grackles with cereal bits. :D I have a lot of chickadees, cardinals, and a nuthatch here and there. No titmice (giggles at name). I may be 21, but I'm still immature :p

I saw a squirrel today and thought of you !!! LOL! I know they are driving you nuts but they are so darned cute! I love all the wild animals like that! Especially when they store all their nuts and stuff...... then go hunting it. I love watching them dig - trying to find what exactly they did with that wonderful stash! Then, when they find a good walnut - it's like "BINGO! Hit the jackpot!"

She needs a nice little (evil) mini-horse! LOL! They are mean little suckers sometimes!

Bo B Bunny wrote:
I saw a squirrel today and thought of you !!!
I don't know if I should be proud or insulted by that lol :p

I agree that they are adorable. That's why I started feeding them in the first place. It all started with a hanging spring that holds a corn cob. Then I got them their own "squirrel munch box". Now they eat everything lol.

The squirrels and I have come to an agreement, though. I keep their feeders full (refilled twice/day) and they won't chew on my stuff. For now, it works. I need to go get more squirrel food, though. They mowed through 10# of squirrel mix already ...

:nerves1 My poor wallet...

I think chipmunks are cuter than squirrels, though. I don't mind red squirrels, as they are tiny and cute, but chippies just have a HUGE awww-factor about them. I wish I got flying squirrels. That would be super-sweet!

Well, we have them here, but not here. They normally aren't in the areas where people are... I live in the city, so no flying squirrelies here. We occasionally get turkeys. My roommate's parents occasionally get flying squirrels (Nashotah, WI) by them. They own a bunch of farm land and live on a lake/swamp They get all the cool birds there, too. I saw a bunch of indigo buntings and orioles there. Jerks

find somebody with a black walnut tree....you'll have all the rodent food you can handle! LOL

every rodent in the neighborhood comes to my yard during hardhat season! ( if you don't have it on, you WILL get beaned by a walnut!)

furryface wrote:
find somebody with a black walnut tree....you'll have all the rodent food you can handle! LOL

every rodent in the neighborhood comes to my yard during hardhat season! ( if you don't have it on, you WILL get beaned by a walnut!)
I know that all too well! My roommate's parents... I should probably just start saying their names. They are Mary & Meredith. They are not lesbians (I have had to explain this one too many times lol). Meredith is a guy. ANYWAYS, they have a TON of black walnut trees by them. That's probably why they have all sorts of cool critters out there.

When our roommate, Sean, was younger, his dad was mowing the lawn and he hit a black walnut that was hidden in the grass. The black walnut shot out of the lawnmower's side chute and gave Sean's older brother a black eye! No joke! They had to take him to the emergency room :p

Their yard basically has a forest of MONSTROUS black walnut trees :p Their house is in the middle lol

Latest posts

Back