%*$&#@! Squirrels!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kherrmann3

Reaction score
I hate my squirrels!

:tantrum:

I used to love them! I feed them and even have named them all! They are just really ticking me off!!!!!

:rant:

OK, here's the story. I have lived in my apartment for a year now. I moved into this apartment with my boyfriend and roommate last October. Some of the first things I bought when I had "a place of my own" were bird-feeders, 100+ pounds of different types of bird seed, a squirrel feeder, squirrel food (peanuts, corn, sunflower, etc.) a bag of dried corn-on-the-cobs, and a holder for the corn cobs for the squirrels. I had them all placed out so nicely on my patio, and everyone got along. I fed all my birdies and squirrels through the Winter so I knew they wouldn't have to hibernate or starve to death. I even gave the squirrels names! My squirrel army consisted of Lester, Igor (pronounced "Eye-Gore", like in "Young Frankenstein"), and Biggie Smalls. I added Ollie Williams (named after the "It's gonna rain!" Weatherman from Family Guy) to the army this spring when I first saw him come around. I have a few more babies this fall, but I have yet to name them. I just call them all "Tiny".

ANYWAYS, I have started having problems with them this year. No matter how much "squirrel mix" I put out for them, they think the bird food is better. I mix the squirrel stuff FROM the bird food! They have chewed through the wires holding up some of my feeders, too. I found them crashed onto the porch. Nice sight to wake up to, eh?

The straw that broke the camels back, however, just started a month or so ago. I store the bird feed in a large, thick, plastic garbage can that sits out on the patio. The little buggers chewed through the stupid thing and go inside and eat the seed from the bags. They eat all the darn sunflower seeds! I tried rubbing hot-pepper sauce all over the edges where they were chewing, but they were not deterred by this. I rubbed fresh HABANERO pepper all over it. I didn't have any luck with that, either.

This is the outcome...

Can you see all the holes along the sides? This is the inside of the lid from the seed container. The only hole that is supposed to be there is the long, smooth one up top. That's for the handle.

Here is my solution:

Here's the tale of my "adventures" while dealing with this today. I went outside to fix the lid, finally. I have been at home all day, so I am just wearing purple pajama bottoms (with Happy Bunny!) and a black tank top. I just did my toe-nails, though, so they looked fabulous! I just got out of the shower. My hair is up in a towel. I look like a nutcase.

I went and opened the container. A very-surprised squirrel rocket-launches himself out of the container and up the side of my patio. He falls, lands at my feet, crawls up my pants-leg a bit before jumping off and slamming headfirst into the metal fence posts and falling to the ground. Don't worry, he was OK... I think... He ran away. So, here I am, outside and dressed like a crazy-person, yelling and making hissing noises at the squirrels to keep them away long enough to fix the lid. I took the duct tape and patched up the inside of the lid. Then I POURED cayenne pepper powder onto the tape from the TOP of the lid (so it gets stuck on the sticky-side of the tape). After that, I put duct tape on the outside of the lid to seal the pepper powder inside. I hope this works...

Here's the finished product (ghetto, I know...) The orange powder is all the cayenne pepper... It got EVERYWHERE. I was choking on the stuff (I love how wind just NEVER goes the right way when you need it to).

One unhappy customer.

My neighbors are probably going to call the cops and try to have me institutionalized. :hyper:

Luv-bunniz wrote:
*cue harry hill tune* "RO's :humour: of the weeeeeeeek!"
and if it dosent work? :whistling
... I have a .22 ...:pullhair: ... just kidding!

The next step would be to NOT go outside dressed like a trailer-park treasure that you would see on COPS, and then use pure Capsaicin powder (instead of just Cayenne) if I can find it (doubt it). Capsaicin is water-resistant compound that is found in chili peppers. It is what makes certain peppers so "hot". Cayennes may be considered spicy to some people, but they are only 30-50 thousand Scoville Units. Scoville Units are the "ranking system" for how hot a pepper is. A Habanero is between 200-300 thousand units. Pure Capsaicin is 15-16 MILLION units.

I've put ground Cayenne powder into bird seed before, and it worked for awhile. The wonderful thing about Capsaicin is, it only affects pain receptors in mucous membranes, so birds don't get their mouths burned because they lack saliva. If the Capsaicin is strong enough, though, it can "burn" any skin. I've been mincing Habanerobefore and had it get in contact with skin under my wrist. That really stung! Habanero's are so strong, they make you choke if you are just chopping them!

I don't even know if it is legal to get pure Capsaicin. It's stronger than "standard" pepper-spray in the U.S., so I really don't think it would be.

Does anyone know what the "hottest" powder I can get? Cayenne isn't that spicy... Other than inhaling it when the wind blew it back up my nose, I can eat a Cayenne pepper with no problems. I cook with Habaneros on a regular basis...

In case some people are wondering how "hot" some of these peppers are, a Jalapeno pepper is a wimpy 2,500 to 10,000 units. My cooking can destroy your colon :nurse:

I've heard of that before, but I wouldn't want to do it. I don't want to use Vaseline because it can be harmful to the squirrels. It gets matted in their fur and prevents it from trapping heat. They can actually freeze to death from it. Since it is getting colder, I don't want them to freeze :( I like my squirrels, and I just want them to knock off their naughty behavior. I think burning their little mouths is a temporary shock. I hope it is enough to deter them...

They don't climb up the can, either. They jump from the porch railing onto the lid. Even if I did the Vaseline thing, it wouldn't work, unfortunately.

Thank you for the advice, though! :)

THey make this stuff that they use for horses - keeps them from chewing......

I've put hot hot hot sauce on a stall to keep a horse from cribbing and it worked..... then our horse, Pokie, decided she likes hot sauce! Yummy....... she started licking the stall LOL! At least she didn't crib!

Have you tried amonia?

Or get a metal can for the seed!

Are you sure it's the squirrels? Mice, opossum, coons will all go for bird seed.

I know it's just the squirrels. I can sit on my couch, enjoy a soda, and watch the little buggers crawl inside. Before we taped up the can, we even could sneak outside and shake the can a little bit (with the squirrel still inside). We're jerks. I would try the metal tin, but I wanted something with a latch because of our nuclear raccoon population (they are too big to be normal raccoons). My cousin lives within a mile of here and said to avoid metal cans because of the raccoons, too. They liked to flip them over, burrow inside, eat to their heart's content, then sleep in the garbage and scare the ever-living-crap out of my cousin or the garbage guys. One garbage guy reached into the can without looking to grab the bag and wound up with a raccoon "attached" to his work glove. Yeah... Waukesha wildlife SUCKS!

The opossums around here seem to like "Fancy Feast" the best lol They wouldn't even TOUCH Roundy's brand cat food (what is that telling you?)

I have also resorted to shooting the squirrels with a wrist rocket. We use bits of cereal as "ammo" so it doesn't hurt them, but still gets our message across. We have pans of food outside for the squirrels, so we just shoot them when they are where they aren't supposed to be. So far, no attempts to get in the seed can! :D

we have squirrels everywhere! we don't exactly love them:D; mom went looking for squirrel traps/poison and was informed that you're not supposed to do that(i told her to just get some of the rat poison, but she didn't:():rollseyes

cyan(sp?) pepper didn't work for us, though. i hate those little buggers......:pssd:

:rant:

:whistling

:laugh:God, I love the people from this board!

*ammo hits the target and feeds them in one shot!*

I'm picturing the squirrels figuring out the ammo, then standing with mouth open, thinking..... I hope it's cap'n crunch today!

kherrmann3 wrote:

I have also resorted to shooting the squirrels with a wrist rocket. We use bits of cereal as "ammo" so it doesn't hurt them, but still gets our message across. We have pans of food outside for the squirrels, so we just shoot them when they are where they aren't supposed to be. So far, no attempts to get in the seed can! :D

I've read through all and am sitting here giggling. :D My office mates probably are wondering what's up.

My sister had a similar problem because she also stores her seed on her patio. She got a metal wardrobe type storage locker from somewhere fairly cheap (might have even been curb shopping;)) and stores her seed in plastic bins inside the metal locker. Kinda like Fort Knox for bird seed!

Haha! Will told me that there were five squirrels on the patio this afternoon and NONE OF THEM WERE ON THE SEED CAN!

Mwahahaha! I win! ... for now...

Bo B Bunny wrote:
I'm picturing the squirrels figuring out the ammo, then standing with mouth open, thinking..... I hope it's cap'n crunch today!

"HEY GUYS !!! They got Froot Loops for us today!!!"

:laugh:

I've got TOO many funny squirrel stories.
They love to crawl inside our Jack-O-Lanterns....real funny when they get their tail sticking out the nose hole or such.

We've had problems with the racoons, too.
Bungee cords work very well at keeping the lids on the trash cans;)

Squirrels are the comedians of the forest second to coons I think!

I can see those tails and noses sticking out of those pumpkins! hehe!

UGH! THEY DID IT AGAIN!

I just stocked up on nearly $60 worth of bird seed and squirrel mix, put it all into the re-sealed can, and they chewed through the cayenne pepper again! UGH! I have their feeders completely full, too! Why would they want to climb all over and chew through the can, when they can just get it from the feeder?!

I accidentally hit one of them with a broom. I smacked him clear off my porch! (He jumped out of the garbage can when I opened it, he startled me, and I jumped (I had the broom in my hands) and gave him a good whack). Poor fella, he shouldn't come back though... I'll get out the BIG BROOM. :p

You should get a big bobble-head owl, one thats sensored and sounds like an owl and stick it on top of your seeds... with your seeds out of sight from the food you put out, so when they go looking for the seed it will scare the hell out of them lol... but i dont know if they are afraid ofowls? or you can stick the owl inside the seed can.. lol just using my imagination :biggrin2:

NetherlandDwarf wrote:
You should get a big bobble-head owl, one thats sensored and sounds like an owl and stick it on top of your seeds... with your seeds out of sight from the food you put out, so when they go looking for the seed it will scare the hell out of them lol... but i dont know if they are afraid ofowls? or you can stick the owl inside the seed can.. lol just using my imagination :biggrin2:
Haha! That would probably scare the heck out of me! Knowing me, I'd forget it's there lol I want my birdies to come around, still. The only area I have for storage is on my porch. It's rectangular with only one "wall" open. There is a porch above us, so no open space there. The garbage can is in the corner, and all the feeders are hanging is the "open" area.

I don't have anywhere to put the owl without scaring away my birdies :(

I would advise metal cans too, we had the same problem here last year and using metal cans was the only way we could keep them out. Then of course we started having raccon problems, and I tell you what, those boogers are smart! My dad used a heavy rock on top of the can so they coudn't pry the lid off, and then he got to sit at the window and watch the raccoon figure out how to roll the rock off the can, LOL.

We used to have one of those big bird feeders that lookes like a house, and was of course made of plastic. Well, the squirells got to where they would just lay on the long perch on either side of the feeder and just suck all the seed out, the birds couldn't even get to it at all. So one morning when one of the squirells was laying on the feeder, I stepped out the door really quietly, sneaked around and pinched his tail! That squirell went straight up and out, I think he made it to the nearest tree without ever touching the ground! He didn't even bother to scold me, LOL, just ran straight up the tree and disappeared.

Latest posts

Back