Spots carrying Coccidiosis =(

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tekeetakshak

Reaction score
After taking spots to the vet yesterday, theveterenarian told us that Spots has Coccidiosis. I'm not sure what isis, but he gave us medicine for Spots. He was looking better after hedrank it up, and then several hours later he'd go in a slump, and thenbe fine again. So, I'm guessing the medicine is working, but it justneeds to have a long term affect.

Anyways, today we called up the store that we bought Spots from and they said they could take care of Spots for a week.

The weird thing is, that the animal store told us that Coccidiosisresides only in cats and dogs. The vet said that Coccidiosis is a fataldisease in baby bunnies.

Two different perspectives...unfortunately, either way it seems fatalfor Spots. The vet said the medicine has a chance of working on Spots'sside, because the illness wasn't severe yet.

We gave the medicine to the Pet Store as well, so maybe Spots will get better.

I don't know what I'll do if this rabbit dies. As some of you may haveknown, Shadow passed away very quickly as well with GI Stasis. :(

Glad you got her in andchecked!!! I believe thats a type of parasite/worm?If so, I know of someone else on the boards bunny that had it at a realyoung age and he took his meds and came out of it just fine in a fewdays!

I'm under theidea that all rabbits cancarry low counts of Coccidiosis... It's only when somethingthrows the digestive tract out of balance that the coccidia "bloom" andcause problems. Very young rabbits with high countscan die. Older bunnies will appear to "lose condition" (poorfur, poor muscle tone, poor flesh, low energy) and fade (evenif they are still eating normally). Rabbits can re-infectthemselves by ingesting their own droppings. Cages and litterpans must be cleaned every day to break the cycle (during medication).

Because we show our bunnies, and they are exposed to "God-knows-what"at the shows, we do treat our rabbits twice a year with Albon(sulfurdimethoxine ...sp?). Our vet told us this will helpkeep the count down and doesn't let it become an infectiveproblem. We have never had a problem with themedication.

I believe it also very common in Pet Store bunnies, because of the waythey keep them all in one pen, allowing them to eat the feces of otherrabbits. The pet store needs to seperate the infected rabbitsat least until after they are treated.

Don't be upset, just follow the vets instructions accurately.Keep the cage and litter pan clean (daily). I wish Spots aspeedy recovery.

Poor Spots. :sad:

Thank God you acted quickly.

Coccidia is a parasite. As BlueGiants said, most rabbits have it tosome extent. The only time it becomes a problem is when there is anoverabundance in the animal.

There are two types of coccidia - intestinal and liver. The intestinalis the one most commonly seen. Also common in young rabbits. It ischaracterized by a foul-smelling diarrhea.

Spots definitely needs those meds. Please keep us updated on his progress.

Thoughts and prayers,

:pray:

-Carolyn

Thanks for all the help everyone :)

I really do hope Spots will be fine under the care of the store.
Hopefully they'll know what to do, because they're putting Spots in aVIP, so to say, cage just for himself (like in a quarintine).

I wouldn't know what the medicine is called, but I believe it's a brown-orangish syrup that's fed to the bunny with a syringe.

One type of treatment is Albon (perscription);another that is used by breeders, and in some areas can be purchased ina feed store if I'm not mistaken, is Sulfaquinoxaline.

Some breeders would treat routinely for coccidosis with a sulfa drug yearly. Others don't treat unless necessary.

When you do find out the meds the vet is using, let us know. Just curious.

:)

-Carolyn

Latest posts

Back