Splinter isn't what I thought he was?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Epic_win

Reaction score
I always assumed Splinter was Hollan/Mini lop mixed. His sister is about4 pounds. But he is strangely tiny.

He is 5 months old and hasn't grown in about 2 months. He has a very flat face too.

He is 2.1 pounds.

I thought that Hollands were 3-4 and Mini lops were 6?

What can he be mixed with to cause him to be that tiny? Especially when his sister is 4 pounds?

Pictures

028.jpg

038.jpg

Compare him to the dresser to see how tiny he is!

My thought is that he is a holland lop that is carrying a non fatal double dwarf gene a bit like my BEW girl i had last year. It doesnt mean much except they never grow to the same size as a normal holland (most people just call it a runt!)

He definitely looks like a Holland. He may have another growth spurt in him because of his age. He is terribly cute and it's funny that he's so tiny because he's always so disapproving! "I'm tiny, but I'm fierce!"

Buck holland lops are mostly smaller than does. They do not stop growing till a year old so he may hit the 3 lbs mark, maybe not. I had a doe that was over 4 lbs and her son just tipped 3lbs at 3 years old, pure bred holland lops. It just sounds to me like he has the dwarf gene and she does not. They look like pure holland lops to me, just pet quality as far as type. Very cute ;)

bunnybunbunb wrote:
Buck holland lops are mostly smaller than does. They do not stop growing till a year old so he may hit the 3 lbs mark, maybe not. I had a doe that was over 4 lbs and her son just tipped 3lbs at 3 years old, pure bred holland lops. It just sounds to me like he has the dwarf gene and she does not. They look like pure holland lops to me, just pet quality as far as type. Very cute ;)

He looks like a holland because he head is all flat and what not. But his sister has a long face, she's huge and her ears about drag the groundlol

So I thought that would mean they were mixed?

Yeah he really is that tiny!

I've actually never seen a bunny this old that was this small. LOL

He's so tiny it's like searching for a rat not a bunny haha

That's how Clover is. She flops in her cage, under her blankie and you don't even know she's there!

Reminds me a bit of my lionlop Lint. Till about 4 or 5 months she was barely two pounds and then she suddenly started growing. She is about 9 months now and weighs 2 kg!

Epic_win wrote:
bunnybunbunb wrote:

He looks like a holland because he head is all flat and what not. But his sister has a long face, she's huge and her ears about drag the groundlol

So I thought that would mean they were mixed?

You wouldn't believe the Holland Lops I have saw. You would think they where grey hounds with French Lop ears! Long noses, long ears, long gangly bodies, etc. They are pure Hollands in my opinion.

P.S. if they where mixed with Mini Lop they would be even chunckier with big broad squishy heads.

A friend of mine just had an accidental litter a few weeks ago that is a mix of Mini and Holland. Mom is a Mini whose play area was infiltrated by a very happy little Holland buck. Right now the babies aren't not distinguishable to me as one or the other. I'm waiting to see if they develop the flat faces or the pointed faces. I'm assuming that genetics of the two lop varieties could give a mixture within the same litter like you saw with your two siblings. I'll let you know how they turn out and see if she can get me pictures. The babies are looking like a broken blue, two blue otters, and a broken agouti. Whatever they turn out to be, they definitely are cute OOPSES. :)

Sorry for being so ignorant but I always thought the major difference between Holland and Mini Lop was their size. Do mini lops have pointed faces then. My neighbour has a lop that I alwaysclassified as dwarf/mini because of his size. his face is rather flat though would that make him a large Holland?

Hi Sabine. :)

Hollands due tend to have a more flat face. That is why they are said to be more likely to have problems with their teeth. Minis have more of a pointed nose that is more typical of most bunnies.

Of course, there is also the size issue as my minis are over twice the size of my Hollands. :) My husband keeps arguing that someone ought to call them something other than a "mini" lop. I told him that he needs to look how large some other lop breeds are so that they look more "mini" to him.

I've also seen European breeders call what I know as a Holland a Mini on their websites. What then do they call Minis if they used that name for Hollands? Or are they not distinguishing between the two breeds?

My Holland male is smaller than my females...with the exception of my one girl. I weighed him last night and he was not three pounds either, but closer to 2.5.

I think in Britain the mini is called dwarf lop and the holland Mini. But I have heard breeders in Ireland referring to their dwarf lops as mini unless they weren't dwarf lops (I based it more on the size) but truly mini/holland lops. I must dig out the picture of Nightshade, Magic's dad again and post a new thread. I think at the time people thought he was a dwarf/mini lop. It's all very confusing:?

I didn't know he was that tiny, either! That's adorable! :D

My Nethie was around two pounds when he was six months old, he started growing again and stopped by the time he was a year old. He wound up being just under four pounds (not overweight, either!)

If he's only 5 months old, he still has quite a long while to grow ;) I thought my mini rex buck Ray was going to be tiny, (and he is smaller than both his parents, and his grandfather and grandmother) but he did grow a lot within the last couple months before he turned 1 years old. ;)

Splinter will probably have a growth spurt soon ;) lol.

Emily

Latest posts

Back