Special food for dwarfs

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pamnock wrote:
Iwould put production animals on 16%. Older pets and rabbitsindoors that are not used for showing should be on lower protein.

Pam
Ok thanks the pet buns will be going to their new homes soon,when you say indoors do you mean in the house or in a shed outside?

I am referring to outdoors as in outside orunheated building. (Although my rabbits are in an barn"outdoors", the building is heated, so I don't have to providehigher"fat" foods such as sunflower seedsfor themto keep warm in the winter.)

Pam

samandshawn wrote:
Ok i first brought supa rabbit because Its what they giveout at rabbit shows here as prises, so i thaught it must be ok, when Ichanged Shawn on to it his coat was so much better. So wouldyou say stick with the normal supa rabbit or put the dwarfs on thedwarf food?

The feed given out at the competition may have been better, but itbeing a prize at the shows doesn't automatically make itthat. Most shows will get free bags from the companies to begiven away as prizes at the shows as another advertisement for thecompany (and an effective one at that).

Sometimes the people running it will get the best onpurpose, but they also just as readily give it away because it was freeor they got a donation for doing it (this isn't a rip on show runners,I would do the same if I ran the show. Its called goodbusiness.)

When we were setting up a cattle show for 4-h, we were getting freethings sent to us in the mail left and right from the companies to beput up as prizes at the show.

Just remember, even if you won it doesn't mean its good.

What perfect timing to be having thisdiscussion. One of my main concerns with many commercial feeds here inthe US is that they contain animal by-products, which they are notrequired to list in their ingredient list. This is of much concern tome, and has been for years, ever since mad cow was discovered in theUK. At that time I had done a lot of reading about it and found outthat the mink farms in the midwest had experienced mad cow back in theearly 90's but no one was required to report it. There isvery little that will kill mad cow. It remains in the tissue and is notobliterated even when cooked down at very high temperatures.

I have always felt that people who actually eat rabbit are puttingthemselves at risk, even though they believe that it is healthy becausethey are raising their own meat.

We are taking an active position here at Rabbits Only to do someserious research in the available feeds and their effects on ourrabbits. Our hypothesis is that through extensive testing, we will beable to identify not only feeds that are of superior nutritive value,but can also correct problems that we are encountering with our rabbits.

We intend to conduct our research with a breed-specific approach, sothat we can identify minerals and vitamins that may be lacking in theirdiets as well as attempt to identify ways to palliate breed-specificgenetic mutations. For example, with so many instances of malocclusionin dwarf rabbits, we will be looking for ways to counter this problem.

If you are interested in participating in this study, you can help usby sending in samples of your rabbit's fur. In the new issue we willhave a form to fill out and directions on how to collect the samples.As soon as the magazine is up, we will include the link in this thread.

I think we are on the verge of some very important discoveries and Iknow that you all want to be involved the process and benefit from ourfindings. Thanks in advance for your help!

Darn! And three of the four just finished molting!:p

It almost makes me wish I kept some of Fey and Sprite's fur from whenthey first got here. They were on Small World rabbit pellets,and their fur was just awful! Yet more proof why not to buyrabbit food from Walmart!

If I can getistructions on how the fur needs to comeout I have one weaning offthat as we speak , alittle Dutch , she is slowlybeing switched over to the Heinhold alongwith everyone else .

We'll be anxious to hear the results of thetestings! Will you be using hair mineral analysis and alsolooking to identify metabolic disorders in certain breeds?

Pam

rabbits wrote:
If you are interested in participating in this study, you can help usby sending in samples of your rabbit's fur. In the new issue we willhave a form to fill out and directions on how to collect the samples.As soon as the magazine is up, we will include the link in this thread.

I think we are on the verge of some very important discoveries and Iknow that you all want to be involved the process and benefit from ourfindings. Thanks in advance for your help!

Any updates on the study?

Pam

Edit: The link to participate in the study is up . . .

http://newrabbitsonly.com/page_7.htm

We have not yet received any samples fromanyone, or at least as of two days ago when I checked my po box. Rightnow we are working on testing the samples of feed we have against JoeButtercup, but we do need the participation of our readers to make thishappen. Thanks for asking.

Latest posts

Back