Spaying

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dhill711

Reaction score
My baby girl is 10 weeks today. She has alot of tummy issues and the last time we went to the vet (tuesday) the vet said her heart was off beat when she breathed it would slow. She was not sure if was because she has ileus (sp)or if it is a hereditary thing. So I will be taking her back to get a re-check. I inquired about spaying Sally and mind you this Vet specializes in rabbits everything rabbits lol heart scans etc, and she flat out said no. She said the risk is too high and there is not enough evidence proving uterine cancer if they are not spayed. We already lost her cage mate to GI Stasis and this has been overwhelming! I am very mixed on what to do. Everyone here says its a must but then my vet says no. I would re-consider the vet's opinion if she did not specialize in rabbits but honestly she had me pretty convinced. It could be about her heart too I imagine? Can anyone give me a site that proves or disproves the uterine cancer theory? Maybe studies done etc? I would have to wait til next summer anyway because this is something I would want to be home for (to keep an eye on her). And is there anyone who has not had their doe spayed and everything was great? Thanks so much!

fantaysah wrote:
With a heart condition your vet is right to say no! She will just have to live as a lone bun! Its not worth the high risk of her dying now

Thank You! That makes me feel better I am really struggling. I am ok with her being a lone bun she is spoiled by all here. She wants to be held 24/7 so cute! I call her our "lap bunny"

I agree in this particular case, though spaying usually prolongs life on average

You might want to get a copy of Rabbit Health in the 21st Century. It has some helpful stuff in it. [I really hate that there is no index, though, & this is the 2nd edition.]

I'd be struggling too with what to do, but I agree with the others that if her heart is at risk, spaying would only make it worse. Cancer is a gamble, but there's nothing saying she'll 100% get it. I've heard others says that if a female has at least one litter the chances of cancer go down, but I don't know if there is any merit to that - plus a whole litter of kits would be tough to find homes for in a timely fashion I would think? We'll have to ask the breeders on that one that usually have kits hopping around :)

If she has a heart condition, then your doctor was right to guide you towards not spaying her.

If she did not already have this preexisting condition, I think most of us here would urge you to spay her. But it's better that she live as a lone bun than potentially die during surgery.

I'm glad your vet screened her heart and was able to catch it before the surgery.

Hi there, I would not spay her - the risk is way too high - just enjoy her - her uterus is a natural part of her body and its not like it NEEDS to be taken out - now I know there is a cancer risk - but her preexisting heart condition is a much greater risk. Well you see you bring this happy and healthy bunny with a heart condition in and then something goes wrong - its just heartwrenching - and it doesnt need to be done. Dont worry about her hormones - they will go crazy during her teenage time - which is about 4-10 months - 5and6months probably being the worst and then when she reaches adulthood at 10 - 12 months she will be sweet and calm. Sullen was crazy during her teen time - every rabbit is different of course.

Wow Thank you all so much for the responses I feel 100% better about it now. I know I do not want to ever lose her and my biggest concern is her heart. She is so sweet and I am prepared for the spraying and rejection when she goes through puberty lol. I am grateful for my sweet lil bun and look forward to many many years ahead! Thank You everyone!:hugsquish:

Yes I agree here too. You didn't mention she had a heart condition before, so me encouraging spaying for your bun was me saying that not taking into account this information. Now what your vet says makes sense. I understand why she is saying not to spay. But the health benefits gained by a spay in an otherwise healthy rabbit DOES outweigh the surgery risks.

Latest posts

Back