Spaying & Neutering

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys. So I am getting my two females Bailey & Maghie spayed on Thursday & I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions on what I should do when I bring them home. I already had my two males neutered at different times several months ago & everything went great but i was reading some articles that stated females have a harder time with the surgery. so just wanted to know if any of you guys had tips on things I should do when I bring them home. For example is it ok to put my two females in the same pin when I bring them home or should I keep them separated? They are originally each in a separate pin with my males.
Thanks!

Hi,

definitly do not put the girls together after surgery, females can have very strong ideas about who's boss, and working out their pecking order can involve a lot of humping, chasing, tufts of fur flying, and that is when everything goes quite well. If they don't get along there could be real fights, and you don't want that either.

I wouldn't change much, keep them seperated until they start eating normally again (might be 2-3 days), then under supervision let them back to their respective males, but be sure they get along in harmony. Here's how I handled it (but with an intact buck).
It might be that some does need longer to recover, mine was up and about pretty fast.

Others might recommend keeping them seperated until all hormones have dissipated (weeks) and bond them properly afterwards, never did that so can't say much about it.

Ok thank you. Also will my males be ok not having their females for the days it takes them to recover?

Once your females have adequately healed, they will need to be re-introduced to their respective males. It will be as if they had never met before because the females will smell totally different. Proceed cautiously and hope they decide to bond. (no guarantees, of course)

Back