Sorting Matters Out, A few Questions on Cagemates & Travel

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lagomorphs

Reaction score
Hello. I am very interested in finding out theexperiences people have had with their bunnies regarding thefollowing;

1) How well do you find 2 male bunnies get along as cage mates vs play time mates?

If yes, are these bunnies neutered?

Can 2 male bunnies get along if not fixed?

(My long term experience is with guinea pigs. Unaltered male guineapigs can and do bond to each other without conflict.But itt is important that all their needs are beingmet, enough cage space & food especially,and nofemales are around for them to be competing for).

2) Does anyone have a spayed female living with or a floor play mate to an unneutered male bunny?

3) Have you ever car traveled with your bunny? Do you findthat your bunny likes, dislikes, or it seems to make no difference tobe in a car?

4) Do you have a single bunny bonded with another animal? If so what type of animal?

Thanks so much for sharing any experiences you may have regarding these topics.

Can't help you out with the bonding/playingquestion, but I can with the traveling question. We drove 7 hours withElla home and she wasn't to upsetand her former owners would drive fromMontreal to Sudbury with her and said she was ok with it.
Depending on how far you drive I recommend stoping every couple hoursand giving your bunny some time to relax without the car moving. Also Ihave satellite radio and find that putting on the pops station or theclassical station relaxes her.

lagomorphs wrote:
1) How well do you find 2 male bunnies get along as cagemates vs play time mates?

(My long term experience is with guinea pigs. Unaltered male guineapigs can and do bond to each other without conflict.But itt is important that all their needs are beingmet, enough cage space & food especially,and nofemales are around for them to be competing for).
I don't know any unaltered males who have bonded, just neutered males,but if it is going to work, then yes, they'll need a LOT of space andfood, and I would think no unaltered girls within sniffing distance(which could be miles, if other bunnies havea nose like mymale mini-rex who can smell bananain the nexttown). :disgust:

I have two unaltered girls living together right now, and they are onlymanaging because of space.They were previouslyhoused in a small cage in a lonely shed, and while they were happy foreach other's company, there were obviously a lot of fights, judging byall the bald spots). Now they have a big cage with multiplelevels and a tunnel and a hidey-box with two exits, the fur has grownback. (They still fight, but they don't do damage).

lagomorphs wrote:
2) Does anyone have aspayed female living with or a floor play mate to an unneutered malebunny?

Pretty sure a few people have that arrangement. I hadAurora/Dawn'sunneutered boy living here withherneutered boy and a spayed girl. Theyall got along famously.

He was a pain in the :bunnybutt:though, because he sprayedEVERYWHERE. He was young, so it's hard to say of he was ahandful because of the energy of youth, or whether he was justhormonal.

lagomorphs wrote:
3) Have you ever cartraveled with your bunny? Do you find that your bunny likes,dislikes, or it seems to make no difference to be in a car?

None of my bunnies are thrilled with car rides, because it usuallymeans going to the V-E-T. But none will panic. Somerelax and munch on hay, others sit there looking very angry withme. ;)

lagomorphs wrote:
4) Do you have asingle bunny bonded with another animal? If so what type of animal?

Pipp is bonded to me. She made that decision on her third dayhere. She was extremely friendly with the cats andwould have bonded to one of them I'm sure, but I was there first. ;)(And then at six months, she got hormonal and started attacking thecats, sothat was that).

It's not exactly the info you were looking for, but I hope it helps!

sas :)

lagomorphs wrote:
Hello. I am very interested in finding out the experiencespeople have had with their bunnies regarding the following;

1) How well do you find 2 male bunnies get along as cage mates vs play time mates?

Hmm.. I can't say that I know of anyone that has two unfixed males together.

I have one male that is fixed, and my parents have one that is notfixed. If I go to my parent's house and come home, my fixedmale goes nuts. Even though he's fixed, he will still chargeat my pants and attack if I smell like the other male.

2) Does anyone have a spayed female living with or a floor play mate to an unneutered male bunny?

I also have a spayed female and she has spent some timewith my male before he was neutered. Charlie would NOT leaveher along for more than 30 seconds. All he ever wanted to dowas climb on, AND he constantly sprayed her with pee.

I had a yellow rabbit for about 2 months.

3) Have you ever car traveled with your bunny? Do you findthat your bunny likes, dislikes, or it seems to make no difference tobe in a car?

This depends on the bunny I think.

My female Misty will be stressed for about 2 minutes, but I talk to her and eventually she flops out and relaxes.

Charlie on the other hand just scrunches himself up against the back ofthe carrier for the whole car ride... he doesn't like it atall.

Ifind that talking to them or having calm music on calms them.

Nadia

Buck Rogers, Pipp and Honey Pot, thank youfor the replies. All your experiences are ahelp.

lagomorphs wrote:

My girls get very very stressed when they are in the car and I reallycan't take them for car trips any longer than about 10 minutes becauseI don't want them getting more stressed than they already do.They have been going in the car their whole lives to go to the vets forcheckups and boosters and to go to boarding places when we go away butthey have never adjusted to the car. I think it's very important toassess how you bun reacts by taking him/her for a short ride so youknow how to prepare him/her for future car journeys.

Latest posts

Back