Sore hocks?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mini had blood all over the paper in her pen this morning. She has a sore hock that bleed. I have it bandaged up with antibacterial cream. I cut off the access to the bottem level and put towels down. I am going to cover the ramp with something soft because it has those wood blocks on it. She might have tore it open on them. Of course the vet is closed for the holiday. I have to go to the store for med supplies and will get some Bag Balm. So far she hasn't tore the bandage off and seems to like the towels.

ed

Also, try Nutri Cal if the rabbit is loosing condition and weight due to pain. Nutri Cal is easy to digest and also contains vitamin E to help skin problems.

I'm going to try Vicks Vapo Rub today. I had read about it in medical column and my husband tried it on his sore cracked hands. Nothing else had worked, but the Vicks cleared the painful condition right up.

I'm also giving Heart baby aspirin for pain management.

Be certain to watch the front feet - as the rabbit begins to distribute more weight to the front feet to relieve pressure on the rear feet,they may develop sores on the front feet.

Pam

The vicks vapo rub worked well for softening Heart's (Matthew's Belgian Hare) feet and allowing good drainage of puss. However, her right hock ulcerated down to the bone. The other closed up well, but was fill with fluid. It was very soft and squishy, so I was hesitant to lance it open again if there was no actual infection present.

So, at this point I decided to go to the vet for a second opinion. He said we're doing fine with her treatment and felt that the Desitin I had put on for the last few days was doing a good job in healing the wound. He recommended we continue treating as we have been and also said I could increase the amount of aspirin I was giving her for pain (up to 3 a day) - but I think I'll stick with one a day.

I also made nice thick socks for her to wear (vet thought they were very cute and innovative LOL). Heartisalsocurrently on a board covered with a thick rubber mat and a layer of straw.

She still has a decent appetite, but has lost some weight, so I'm still giving her Nutri-Cal.

I'm hoping that the ulcerated hock will close up soon (it's very gross). We had already cleared up most of the infection, so the vet feels that antibiotics are not necessary at this time (I was also trying to avoid antibiotics if possible, because the infection appeared to be localized top a very small area).

Heart is such an awesome, loving girl and Matthew just adores her. I hope she gets better soon :inlove:

Pam

Is preparation H really good to put on their feet? I heard it constricts blood vessels but I wanted to make sure before I do it. Would it be safe if he licked it?

MaevePotter wrote:
Is preparation H really good to put on their feet? I heard it constricts blood vessels but I wanted to make sure before I do it.Would it be safe if he licked it?
I have used Preparation H successfully for sore hocks.

Latest posts

Back