Sore hocks?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peapoo_bunny

Reaction score
poor pea poo has what looks like sore hocks:(... she hasnt been on any wire,their litter is changed regularly and their nails are clipped regularly... what else can cause this? and whats the best way to treat it? peteys feet are fine

Has she been walking on any irregular surfaces(gravel or areas with multiple edges)? I'm no expert on this but I would imagine that if she was hopping on surfaces like I described that she might manifest signs of sore hocks. I would keep a closer watch on where she's going when she's out and about.

Hope this helps.

Blyre

no..she hasnt been on any surfaces like that...shes been on the bathroom tile (smooth)that shes always on... theres also several soft rugs in there for them

Wow thats so odd. :? Flopsy only got it when he got sick and his hocks were super sensitive and the wire bottom of his cage gave him sores. I know my veternearin gave me something to dab on twice a day and they healed up in 5 days.

Does she sit in her litter box alot? That's the only thing I can think of. Even if you clean it lots, she's still sitting in wet litter which can be a cause of sore hocks. I am also dealing with sore hocks but I think I managed to pin-point why. Maybe other members can help you find a solution to your problem.

Some buns get hocks from carpet, too.It is pretty abrasive to a bun's soft skin. It's not much of a worry as long as it's not getting really sore or bleeding but it is good to keep an eye on it. Bag Balm is supposed to be really good for sore hocks. I saw some in the pet section of Walmart the other day, or you could probably find it at farm/feed stores.

:shock:Carpet can give them sore hocks?! Wow, I did not know that.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention Bag Balm and as naturestee said, it's fine if it just looks like a patch of bald skin, it will get red and inflamed if it's serious. My bunnies have basically one small bump on each foot that is a skin pink color and not inflamed which is fine.

can you use some kind of cream? sometimes i use hand lotion, not sure if that is okay or heps much ether.

I would NOT use hand lotion! It is very likely to cause more irritation that it is preventing which makes it an unwise choice. Not to mention that I highly doubt lotion is safe if ingested while bag balm is quite animal safe.

Bag Balm is made for use on animals, whereas hand cream is not and usually has labels saying it shouldn't be ingested. That means you can't put it on a bunny because they tend to lick stuff like that off.

And yeah, some sensitive buns get sore hocks from carpet.

peapoo does sit in the litter box sometimes, but not very often... and she hasnt been on the carpet lately...

yeah they were red and inflamed a little... yesterday i put someneosporin w/o pain reliever on them.. and i put some on this morning... they are looking better already.. not nearly as red as they were before

hmm.. ive never heard of bag balm... is it kind of like neosporin?

peapoos feet arent all puffy and inflamed now...the neosporin really helped.. they are kind of peeling a little bit now.. is that a good sign or bad? also petey has tiny scabs and a little peeling/flaky skin now.. is the peeling/flaky skin good or bad?:?

FROM CARPET? dang it! I thought I was supposed to keep him on carpet? So the cage is lined with it. And he has had a little dot of pink on his heel, but now it is getting a little bigger.Should I go ahead and put bad balm on it just in case? What else should I keep him on?

Peapoo is having problems with sore hocks again..this time theylookbad(and getting worse everyday):(... i dont know what it is... ive started cleaning the litter more than usual thinking that that might have been the problem...it wasnt... i thought it could have been the hard floor, so part of their cage is covered with a soft blanket now... that didnt help either...any suggestions? peteys feet are fine:sigh

yeah i also read aboutthat last wk inbunny101 stuff... so ive been making sure that both their nails are short... :?

even though the litter box is changed frequently i guess she could still be sitting in the wet parts maybe... i cant think of anything else(especially since petey is fine):dunno:

I would first consult the vet. Some rabbits simply have a pre-disposition to sore hocks due to bone construction of the hind legs, how they distribute their weight and the durability of the foot tissues. (Noteto all the grammar czars - yes I am fully aware of the poor construction of that sentence LOL)

New-Skin is a liquidbandage that may help. We made little pullover "socks" for Matthew's Belgian Hare who has been suffering from a chronic case of sore hocks. We are also trying Hydrocortisone cream. We have her on solid flooring with a thick rubber mat. For those looking for reasonably priced mats, we found that floor mats for cars make nice cage mats.

Pam

Latest posts

Back