Sore hocks (photo attached)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gelly

Gelly
Reaction score
So I sent this photo to our vet. My bun is a mini rex so he’s super prone to sore hocks. We have hardwood floors but the area he roams has a large low pile rug. It’s not soft at all tho and very thin. His enclosure has layers of fleece and yoga mat so it’s pretty cushy.

This is what the vet responded:

Dr. M reviewed the photos and he has advised that a nutritional diet, along with padding on the bottom of the cage can help in prevention. Additionally, if you have the availability to let him outside to dig this will also help as this is what they would do in the wild to help with their hocks. Please be aware however if you are going to take him outside that there are no wild rabbits in your area as they could be carrying diseases that could be contagious and we wouldn't want that.

Please let us know if you have any other questions or if you would like to schedule an exam.

he doesnt seem to be too concerned with them and has seen them in person multiple time. What does the forum think? I’m not going to schedule an exam because I think the photo shows enough.

Attachments

• FEEA6AAB-9D95-4914-9427-1BAAAA5EAF1A.jpeg
    FEEA6AAB-9D95-4914-9427-1BAAAA5EAF1A.jpeg
    63.4 KB · Views: 14
Apollo has the same thing. Our vet said a very similar thing also. They gave metacam because one of the hocks was inflamed but other than that they said nothing much can be done about it unless it splits open.

Keep Remy off abrasive floor and check his hocks every day. Ask your vet if they would give any pain meds, if Remy seems to be in pain.

Attachments

• 704BA572-CDC1-42C9-8111-44FFBEB1EFD6.jpeg
    704BA572-CDC1-42C9-8111-44FFBEB1EFD6.jpeg
    140.8 KB · Views: 9
I wouldn't go with any medication I would just change his flooring and they will heal in a few days or a week. If you could post a pic of your rabbit's area would be easier to suggest something but from you already told us you could either put something soft under your thin rug like a soft blanket or jigsaw mats, make sure that he can't get ends so your rug is slightly bigger than underlay.

Or you can make a natural soft bedding in his enclosure, I don't know how good he's with his toilet, if he is not toilet trained you put wood pellets into corners and mix them with some shavings or chopped straw, also have a layer of shavings mixed with straw all over his cage and straw/hay on top of that. It will create some kind of naturally soft carpet and his hocks will heal quickly. If he is toilet trained you can make toilet just little different and keep all toilet smells only in there and he should use it as usual.

For the larger areas in your room you can also have two rugs one soft underneath and low-pile on top, again, bottom layer should be smaller than top

If he is litter trained and you use wood-stove pellets place a layer of carefresh or paper based bedding on top so the pellets don't hurt his feet, hope he feels okay <3

You both should try foam mats just cover them with sheets if your buns like chewing them. My bun had sore hocks that we’re really inflamed. The foam mats worked really well! Her fur is growing back too little by little.

Apollo has the same thing. Our vet said a very similar thing also. They gave metacam because one of the hocks was inflamed but other than that they said nothing much can be done about it unless it splits open.

Keep Remy off abrasive floor and check his hocks every day. Ask your vet if they would give any pain meds, if Remy seems to be in pain.
Yes remys look like that! What would you classify as abrasive floor? We have metacam and I do sometimes give it but I heard they can affect the liver? So I try to give it sparingly but I doubt the amount we’re giving would do any sort of harm.

I wouldn't go with any medication I would just change his flooring and they will heal in a few days or a week. If you could post a pic of your rabbit's area would be easier to suggest something but from you already told us you could either put something soft under your thin rug like a soft blanket or jigsaw mats, make sure that he can't get ends so your rug is slightly bigger than underlay.

Or you can make a natural soft bedding in his enclosure, I don't know how good he's with his toilet, if he is not toilet trained you put wood pellets into corners and mix them with some shavings or chopped straw, also have a layer of shavings mixed with straw all over his cage and straw/hay on top of that. It will create some kind of naturally soft carpet and his hocks will heal quickly. If he is toilet trained you can make toilet just little different and keep all toilet smells only in there and he should use it as usual.

For the larger areas in your room you can also have two rugs one soft underneath and low-pile on top, again, bottom layer should be smaller than top
What about like a think layer of memory foam mat under the rug? I’m gonna try that. For litter, I use woodstove pellets but I mix them with water first so they get soft.

You both should try foam mats just cover them with sheets if your buns like chewing them. My bun had sore hocks that we’re really inflamed. The foam mats worked really well! Her fur is growing back too little by little.
I saw your thread a few weeks maybe months ago? It’s so stressful. I’m always on the lookout for any swelling etc.

Question on the puzzle mats- are they absorbent? He’s not the best litter trained bun and has accidents around his pen.

I saw your thread a few weeks maybe months ago? It’s so stressful. I’m always on the lookout for any swelling etc.

Question on the puzzle mats- are they absorbent? He’s not the best litter trained bun and has accidents around his pen.

from my experience puzzle mats aren't really absorbent, the urine sort of sits on the surface if you know what i mean 😂

Yes remys look like that! What would you classify as abrasive floor? We have metacam and I do sometimes give it but I heard they can affect the liver? So I try to give it sparingly but I doubt the amount we’re giving would do any sort of harm.
The cause for Apollo’s hocks was carpet. Some hardwood floors can do it also (and of course wire floors, but I doubt Remy is on that).
I use old blankets to cover the floor, and it seems to be helping. Rugs, and foam mats will help too.

It's a nightmare trying to prevent sore hocks indoors. Hard floor is no good (for other reasons too), most rugs are too abrasive. You can put a tiny amount of F10 ointment on the hocks and rub it in so it gets absorbed and he doesn't ingest too much of it. What I have (but I understand not everyone is as crazy as me :) - is a combination of vet bed (which I don't recommend as I don't think it helps much and is a pain to get hay off), duvets, layers of fleece, memory foam mats, memory foam dog bed, chenille bath mats, soft mattress protectors,...

It's a nightmare trying to prevent sore hocks indoors. Hard floor is no good (for other reasons too), most rugs are too abrasive. You can put a tiny amount of F10 ointment on the hocks and rub it in so it gets absorbed and he doesn't ingest too much of it. What I have (but I understand not everyone is as crazy as me :) - is a combination of vet bed (which I don't recommend as I don't think it helps much and is a pain to get hay off), duvets, layers of fleece, memory foam mats, memory foam dog bed, chenille bath mats, soft mattress protectors,...
Yeah, layers are best

Attachments

• 00CF0161-E24B-436D-BACB-6DFAA36D2CF7.jpeg
    00CF0161-E24B-436D-BACB-6DFAA36D2CF7.jpeg
    220.5 KB · Views: 12
I’m still looking for a memory foam dog bed that will fit the dimensions of my pen

Back