Someething Bizarre Happened

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dajeti2

Reaction score
About an hour and a half ago, I waslaying on the floor with Apollo. He got up and was walking to thekitchen. He stopped and lifted his tail. He does that when he goespotty so I told him better not be peeing on the carpet. He ignored me.I could see he was straining and I kinda freaked out.

I snatched him up and flipped him over. He had this huge wad ofhair and stuff on his butt. I filled the kitchen sink with warm waterand soaked his hind end. I was in panic mode and not really thinking,just kinda reacting. I took him out and saw that it was coming out ofhis butt.

It eventually came out. It was a nasty stinky mess of hair andpoops and a few cecals. I've never seen or heard of anything like this.I gave him a tummy massage and his treatment after. He's pooping now.Since that thing came out they are still one the small side and notenough for my liking, but there are a few poops..

He's going to the vet tomorrow, that's all there is to it. Whatwas that thing? Why did it happen? I'm looking online to see if I can'tfind something but would appreciate anything you have to offer aswell.

Tina

Sounds like he passed a blockage. I'm no expertbut it can only really help him to get it outta his system. Good tohear he's starting to poop again even if they are small.

Tina, I straight away thought huge furball blockage, what have you got him on? Eating I mean is he still molting etc???

Ok this sounds likethe Blockage moved this is a good thing .your goingto have to do weeklytreatments with some sort of hair ballremedy to keep itmoving swiftly Petra malt, Nutri cal ,a tspof olive oil all will work at leastweekly , to help push it through , Also Xraysto ensure there is nothing tornor a polop in htere , andalso to rule out a forein object , alsocheck the poop to see what it actually consists of, there maybe something in therethat isnt part of a normal diet.

keep us posted

I hope Apollo is fine, andnothing else is wrong. I don't have anyexperience with that, but hope it'sjust him passing out some hair and his system hascleared now.

Rainbows! :)

I agree with Gypsy -- give a tiny bitofNutri Cal while he's molting. Passing that yuckymass is a "good" thing :p

Pam

Oh thank heavens. I'm the type of personI react when something is happening but afterwards I fall apart. I gothim comfortable and then freaked out.

Thank you so much for putting my mind at ease. I feel muchbetter now. I listened to his tummy sfter I gave him theNutrical and it's not near as noisy as it was and it's not as hardeither. He definitely feels better, and now, so do I.

Tina

Wow, how scary! Thank goodness he's ok though and that you reacted so quickly.

Maybe some oats to help push things along for now? On top of other treatments I mean.

Could be because this is molting time of year. Let us know what the vet says.

{{{{{{{{Tina}}}}}}}} breath hunny ;) I know Iwould be tweaking also, but it sounds like you did the right thingwhich is good....Definatly keep us posted about how he is doing!

Whew! Sounds like he passed aplug. Except lots of poops now that thedam has broken sort to speak.

:highfive:Go Apollo!

So glad he passed it! :shock:

If it was a blockage, I suggest adding more fiber to his diet in ways.Whether that's adding pumpkin more often or something else but it'simportant to make sure he has lots of fiber.

I feed pumpkin to my boys every second day when they are sheddign andwhen they really blow their coats, I give it to them daily.

I'm glad he passed the nasty mess.Some of our cats have passed similar hair/poop wads but never therabbits. Sounds like he should be on the mend.

But that's just it. Apollo won't touchcanned pumpkin but will nibble fresh. He gets it once to twice a week.He has unlimited hay, and gets pineapple and papaya everysingle day.

I think it's because this is such a huge molt, I'm sick and healways gets wonky if I'm not feeling good plus the weather keepschanhing. It's hot for a few days cold for for a few days. It justkeeps fluctuating back and forth.

I just don't know what to do except what I am doing.

Tina

Maybe you should do a search for other high fiber foods that he likes.

There have been suggestions (from vets and members on this board) thatpapaya and pineapple don't do anything to actally help keep your bunnysafe from hair balls.

Here's what they all get:

Everyday
Unlimited Timothy hay
Pellets
Water
Dried pineapple
Dried papaya
Salads

Twice a week
fresh pumpkin-Apollo
Canned pumpkin for every one else
Fresh pineapple and juice
Salt-free, sugar-free Shredded wheat
2 yougurt covered raisins
3Craisins

They are brushed every day, 3 times a day if moulting(more ifneeded). The get plenty of exercise every day. Nutrical twice a week ifthey are moulting. Try and keep the temperature as constant aspossible. Keep the humidity levels down.

I do every thing I can to prevent this from happening, that'swhy it's so frustrating. Plus it's my baby that's not feeling well andit's so hard emotionally.

Tina

Well I think you're doing the best you can forhim. Look at it on the bright side, he was getting enough fiber to helppass it. That's a positive.

Tina, please don't beat yourself up. You takesuch good care of your babies, I know it's not from a lack of anythingon your end. I really think this was just a freak occurrence, andshould show us all that no matter what, anything can happen at any timewith our rabbits.

Still, I'm like you and I'd be all feeling guilty and everything else,so I know how you feel. Remember how bad I felt for not giving themtheir water bottle one night??

Latest posts

Back