Some pics of our other farm critters.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riverpines

Reaction score
Just sharing what pics I dug up of our other critters. I dont have recent pics of the buns right now and I just upgraded the pc to win7 so I didnt get stuff back on it yet. I have a lot to do there. Yuk. I hate pc stuff.

But I do have pics of some of the critters from my photoshop collection.

Here are some.

Pygoras!

Charlotte, Doeling.
CopyofDSCN7313.jpg

Jumper, buckling.
Copyof018.jpg

Sheema, doeling.
Copyof017.jpg

Angoras!

Molly, doeling.
Molly.jpg

Whiley, buck.
Copyofw.jpg

Thorn, buck.
Thorne2.jpg

Sheep!
Pooky and Mir when they were born. Ram lambs.
016.jpg

Mir with bottle. We lost the ewe and had to bottle raise Mir and Pooky.
Yes, long tail. We dont dock our sheep that are born here.
009.jpg

Daisy. She looks like a bear to me here. LOL
She is a ewe lamb.
We bought her, hence the docked tail.
CopyofDSCN7283.jpg

Last lamb, Dixie, ewe.
CopyofDSCN7276.jpg

Gosh everyone here is grown now. These pics are from last winter and spring.

That little moo cow is Pooky. Pooky like Garfields teddy bear. Not porky! LOL
That really made me laugh too, porky. :biggrin2:

Pooky is the smallest of the rams now. He and his brother are 1/2 Jacob and 1/2 English Longwool. Dad was 125 pounds, Jacob. Mom was 250lbs, Longwool! Mir takes after mom now and pooky takes after dad, who also looked like a cow. But when sheared he looked like a dalmatian!!! LOL....With 4 horns. :D

Here is dad after a shearing, bow wow!!! :)
Copyofhtdhchctt038.jpg

LMAO Now for the chickens....I would love to see them. U should have done the Win7 update after you joined RO lol

I'm guessing you raise them for wool?

Admittedly I don't know that much about sheep, why would you not dock their tails?

missyscove wrote:
I'm guessing you raise them for wool?

Admittedly I don't know that much about sheep, why would you not dock their tails?
All my sweethearts are for wool, except the chickens, oh and the dogs and the cats. :D

Because I hate inflicting pain on animals for no good reason based on my own opinions of what things are done and the whys.
I dont believe in docking dogs tails or ears either.

I personally dont have a reason to do it. No probs with flystrike as my herd is small enough to keep their tails sheared and they are not being raises in a production, commercial like manner.
They live outside is the fresh air. They dont get locked up in barns where there is over crowding and probs from that.
They eat real food like hay, and grain, not commercial processed products. So their poo is normal and does not stick to their wool, it falls clear.
I also hate factory farming!! Can you tell? ;)
I dont have any reason to dock tails, aka strangle them with a band till they rot and fall off or cut them off and burn the raw flesh.
That would all hurt!!!!

So know I dont believe in docking tails for our sheep or any other animal. :)
I dont disbud horned animals either.

We may farm and we do eat some of our animals but I am a big believer in treating animals, even if they are food, as best you can. They deserve comfort and as much normalcy as they can get no matter what their purpose. They dont deserve any more pain in their living time than whats truely needed like vaccines. I always feel quilty at the yearly vaccination time around here. I appologize like crazy and give extra cuddles everytime I have to poke a critter. :(

Thanks everyone. We love them all. We had more but had to cut back.
My mates hours got cut at work, since last summer, and its going to stay this way for the rest of the winter so I sold many of my adult critters. It was so hard and sad.
My mate works in ag making machinery, the one area that always was secure but no this time around. But he still has some work so we are happy! :)

We just live very simply. I make our cloths and our soaps and such.
We use wood for heat because we cant afford propane...its crazy in price here!
Just for hot water and the stove the small propane tanks cost us 65 per month to fill.
Wood is free. :)
We dont go out and the internet is all we have for entertainment and for a lot of other things like bills, we dont buy stamps anymore and for news, we dont have tv. Plus we home school and use the net a lot for that. :)

I also have wringer washer and our oven just broke!!! Yikes!!!
Wood cook stove?
I better go check that oven out.
It really just broke, my mate is calling me.

Its broke. No oven. The oven is electric controlled and that went out so you cant use the oven since the temp is through the electric panel. But heck we still have the stove top we can use. Just no more baking. :(
Time to dig up a used one fro cheap. CL shopping time.

This one was used. I regret getting it but it was 40 bucks and lasted a year.
The more electric stuff the more that will break. Electric start is nice, less propane when there are no pilot lights, but electric controlled, never again!

Wow. Thanks for sharing.Your living such a simple life. I admire you for that. :)

I wish we could go back to the old days, when we had only horses. That would be so cool.

April

SweetSassy wrote:
Wow. Thanks for sharing.Your living such a simple life. I admire you for that. :)

I wish we could go back to the old days, when we had only horses. That would be so cool.

April
Simple? LOL
Its work, a lot of work!!!!!!
Thats all we do here, even the kids. It takes all of us to have this simple life style.
But we do love it. Sore bodies and all. :)

SweetSassy wrote:
Maybe "simple" was the wrong word... Sorry. I think it's neat you make your soap, etc... And use wood heat, etc...
LOL, thanks.
I do like the security. Like now, we have all the wood we need for the entire winter all cut and split. We know the heat is all taken care of for this year. Thats a good feeling. Back when we heated with propane we had no clue how we would manage for the winter and it always took till the next winter to pay off all the debt from it! It was terrible.

I need close soap I just make more and I buy my washing soda and borax in bulk so it really cheap. I make my own soft soap which also is added to the laundry soap mix and for that I make my own lye from the wood ashes. :)
I use glycerin too but there again, I buy in bulk pure food grade vegetable glycerin so that too is cheap as heck when you break it all down.
With that I make soap, hand lotion, lip balms, etc. All for a lot less than anything we could buy in a store.

We recycle like crazy here to and do a lot of barter and trade for things.

We do best to live self efficient as possible. We are low income but manage pretty good! We even got our place on forclosure for less than any rent. Insanely cheap.
But its also a dump. It was abandoned and left to literally rot. We have been trying to patch it up as best we can. We didnt even have running water or electric at first.
But after 3 years it still looks like a dump but its all functional now!! LOL

If I didnt have the flu right now, I would be busy as heck, doing laundry!! But I am feeling awful so I have been kicking it all day on the pc.
I will have to take a break to go care for the rabbits. My daughter usually takes the before bed rabbit rounds but she feels even worse than me so I am taking her turn.

That is the coolest thing ever...Grizzly Adams LMAO I know I couldnt do it but I love hearing about it. What a way of life, We did a lot of the self sufficient lifestyle when I was a kid (not as much as u) but heck I never had to worry about that the folks did, I just took care of the chickens lol.

So then where r the chicken pics??? lol i wanna see 'em... :pleaseplease:

I just took chicken pic recently. With eating the chickens, we can play with color when we breed.
So we have been doing a lot of cross breeding with many breeds to see what pretty feathers we can get.
They only bad side is the prettier the chickens, the harder it is to let them go to the freezer.

We have to many really but darn they are pretty!!

I have the pics on my external hard drive that I have for my backups.
I can plug her in and go look for them.
It may take awhile. I have no idea where they are and I backed up my whole pc on there!

Riverpines wrote:
Plus we home school and use the net a lot for that. :)

I also homeschool! How old are your kids? I'm down to my youngest - Matthew is 10 and in 5th grade. I also go to school, so much of our time here is spent with studying. I enjoy the mental break of getting away to rabbit shows.

Pam

Latest posts

Back