Soft Poop???

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fancy77

Reaction score
I think Jay Jay has diarrhea, but then it seems like cecals. It smells so bad and it is soft. I have not changed anything in his diet. he has been pooping like this since yesterday afternoon. What do I do or give him to get it normal again. I have been looking and cand find and answer. THX

If it was cecals they would be little shiny grape like looking poops; is he pooping any normal fecals? or is it just the soft ones?
If a rabbit is eating too much protein he/she can often produce too many cecals and yet be producing normal firm poops also. In that case I would look at the diet carefully and determine where the excess protein is coming from. Too many pellets or treats?

I would eliminate everything other than hay and hopefully you have different varieties of it so he has choices. just cut his diet down to hay and water for a few days.
It would also be a good idea to give a dose of benebac .

Ifall the poops are soft and do not look like grapes then this could be another issues.
cecal are very strong smelling but usually have a distinct appearance .

The poop is soft and large, they are all formed together in a tube shape. I have cut out his treats for a few weeks now cuz of soft poop, and it seemed to help then this. But all he eats is pellets, hay, and lots of water. I gave him some benebac, a couple hours ago and the poo is now formed again like normal and the smell is gone too.

Cut out the treats entirely and increase he hay, decrease the pellets..if the bun is not a baby should be grass or meadow hay, timothy, oat, or brome. if the hay is really good the bun will eat it and like it unless he has dental issues.

Those poos are bad news. Definitely go to a hay and water or pedialyte diet. I would give some probiotic as well. If it doesn't improve within 24 hrs (of the hay only diet), he needs to go to the vet.

edit: this is assuming he's not a baby. Baby rabbits + diarrhea = emergency.

OK I will do that. He is around 3.5 months (Flemish Giant)How many doses of Benebac can I give in 24 hour period?? I gave one already this morning. Since the dose I gave this morning he has had more solid poo and the smell is gone. The poo is not hard tho just formed.

I think more than 1 gram will not necessarily be any more effective, but I'm not sure. You can give more, I assume, if you like. It's good that his poos are getting more solid and less smelly, but keep a close eye on him. He's still quite young and in that age group I consider diarrhea/soft poo to be an emergency.

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/poop.html
http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/squirts.pdf

I would take him, or at the very least a fecal sample (mushy and hard poos) to the vet. It may be coccidia, or an intestinal bacteria overgrowth. It's possible that you may be able to clear it up with just a hay and water diet, but if it's a large overgrowth or coccidia, medication will be needed.

OK I use Timothy now and his background with this hay has not been great...he has never ate it like its going out of style. I am going to get Oxbow in a bit. He doesnt seem any different, and I have struggled with soft poo with him on and off since I have gotten him. I have called my vet and they didnt seem to think it was too big a deal. since it has been an on and off thing. They just said to do the hay/ water and watch him to see if he changes. The protein he gets in his pellets is 18% Fat is 3%

From the websites it seems the problem is not enough fiber. meaning more hay. I am no expert lol but i will try different hay cuz he has the mushy poo thing going on.

(Unformed Cecotropes: Mushy or Runny Stool)

I just buy Kaytee timothy Complete at farm and fleet. ; this is not the greatest of all pellets and probably oxbow BBT is the best but I cannot afford to have that shipped here along with the hay
it is still a timothy pellet and low in fat and protein
You can get it at farm and Fleet for about $3- $4 cheaper than at petsmart and petco :)

OK thx I know Fleet Farm here has bags of that kind but the ounces are so small. I like to buy large bags so I dont have to run to the store once a week. I will be looking on line also to see what I have for options.

Side note: I thought it was gud 2 have high protein pellet food for buns under 1 year.

about 3.5 months

Now since I took the pellets away he has nice hard poop today. I wonder if it is the pellets I am feeding him??

Latest posts

Back