Soft poop New food

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johncdn

Reaction score
Willow was feeling A+ until I tried a newpellet on her. After introducing it over 36-48hrs, She has a case of poopie butt http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=9241&forum_id=1&highlight=soft+poopwith droopings similar to the ones in the photo....http://rabbitsonline.net/attachment.php?id=6496

-her appitite is down, I don't think she ate much last night

-she did not poop overnight but did when she was let out this morning.....I broke the poop up and found no hair it's texture wasthick with a strong smell

-she is about 75% her active self, a bit more lazy than usual but responsive to petting.

-unlike the time she had a blockage, she is not all balled up or "loaf pan" and not hiding. She lays streched out

-her belly is nice and soft

-we removed the new food and replaced it with the regular and are pushing hay and water and have eliminated greens for now

This is the new food....http://www.martinmills.com/littleRabbit.htm

This was her usual food.....http://www.petsmart.com/global/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524441777395&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302026390&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374302023695&bmUID=1135269149544#belowFold

There is no analysis of the Petsmart food and I no longer have the bag, but I don't recall items such as "brewers yeast" and "soya oil" in it like the Martin's.

Is the new food the cause?

Any additional care ideas?

Thanks, John, Barbara, Willow

Wow...lots of details...GOOD. :)

It sounds to me like it could possible be the change in food.Did you gradually change over? Maybe go back to the old stuff for a while and see what happens.

You said that she is 75% of her active self. Is she becoming lethargic? Does she accept treats?

New food- I mixed the new with the old Tuesnight, Wed morning she had picked most of the new from the old.Switched back last night but I don't think she ate any of it.

Active- she is pretty active right now but layed around from 9am to noon and I suspect most of the night 2-9am

Treats-she usually goes crazy for a few bites off my oatmeal muffin inthe morning, but no dice today. Just offered a rasin she accepted butwithout "the rasin dance"

We want to see her eat some more.

Is the poop normal sized? Are thereany sticking together? I'd probably be safe to say that she'sprobably a bit thrown off by the new food. Encourage her toeat some hay. Maybe offer a slice of banana. Didyou examine her teeth? Maybe check them too, along with herjaw line to make sure there are no absesses.

This is her second movement today. Very muchstuck together but starting to take a more normal shape, the previouswas more like a paste. amount is about right.

Her jaw feels good not able to check teeth because she is very put off by having her bottom wiped.

Canadian dollar coin for scale is 1 inch

On second thought, hold off on the banana sincethe stool is already soft. Stasis may be settingin. Can you remember anything else other than the food thathas changed? Is she taking in any hay? At thispoint, she needs some fiber.

Got any Nutrical?

Hello John, Barbara, Willow.

S'more's poopie butt was actually the result of an infection thatdeveloped in her GI tract. She eventually went into full GI statis.With treatment and lots of TLC she has fully recovered.

IMO.....For now:

Limit the pellets
Push the timothy hay
Make sure she's drinking
Eliminate veggies, fruits, and treats

You might try giving her some rolled oats (Quaker Old Fashioned Oatmeal- Regular...NOT Instant or Quick Oats). A couple ofteaspoons a day.

I would be ready for a visit to the vet in casethings don't improve or get worse in the next few days.

~Jim

It definitely sounds like the food wasswitched to fast and it upset het tummy. The best way I have found toswitch pellets is 75% old pellets and 25% new pellets the first week.50%/50% old and new the second week 75% new/25% old hte third week andthe fourth week is all new.

You may want to give her some infant gas drops. It won't hurther if she doesn't have gas and can help if she does. Push the hay.Canned pumpkin also. Even though it's not a stasis situation you needto help firm up those poops. Oatmeal will also help.

Nutrical would be good to help give her a boost and increase her appetite. I swear by the stuff.

Do you have any new toys or games to help her get more active.I took Koda and Norman to a room they had never been in to help them.They just had to check out and chin everything so they were constantlymoving around for over an hour.

I hope this helps you and Willow. I'll be thinking and praying for you both.

Tina

Hi Johncd,

I agree with Tina and Lissa about the switching of the food going toofast. Rabbits can stress and they can go intoStasis. I'd give the little one some NutriCal aswell. Most importantly, make sure shestayshydrated. She could lose a lot of fluids withrunny stools.

It sounds like you're doing everything right, John. "-weremoved the new food and replaced it with the regular and are pushinghay and water and have eliminated greens for now".

Keep us posted.

-Carolyn

Lissa wrote:
JimD wrote:
Limit the pellets
I would not recommend doing this. Limiting pellets may stress the bunny out more. Just my opinion.
By limiting (not totaly eliminating) pellets, the bun should beprompted to eat more hay. Following my vets directions,I didthis for both S'more and Chippy with good results. She had me reducepellets to no more that 1 ounce of pellets per pound of normalbun weight.

Smore was at 7 lbs and the vet suggested giving her approx5ounces of pellets daily. She's now down to 6 lbs...eats most of thepellets, but always leaves some...and eats bunches of hay daily.

~Jim

Pellets have hay in them too. If mybunny were in stasis, the last thing I would do is take their foodaway. I would encourage her to eat.

It looks like we made the turnaround.

Her last poop was still a bit loose but had some solids in it.......shehas also started running off under the cedar chest after she goesbecause she knows the warm wash cloth is next:X. At least weknow there was no brain damage.

She has mowed down a fair amount of hay and also had some parsley

Thanks all......we'll continue to keep an eye on her and let you know

I use the martin less active food. It just haslower protien and fat and higher fiber. I use this to maintain herweight and I replace the littel missing with some apple and oats.

Just try to get her eating fiber. Try dipping a piece of hay in waterand putting it near her mouth or stick the stem in her mouth. Itsometimes tempts them to eat plus she's getting water.

It could also be an issue of protien content.The new pellets (Martin) have a rather high percentage @ 16%, however Icould not find an analysis of the old pellets (Nutriphase). I'massuming that both are alfalfa-based as well.

Maybe I misunderstood the issue :?. Has the bun gone into statis or are we looking at a soft poops problem?

Johncdn wrote:
It looks like we made the turnaround.

Her last poop was still a bit loose but had some solids in it.......shehas also started running off under the cedar chest after she goesbecause she knows the warm wash cloth is next:X. At least weknow there was no brain damage.

She has mowed down a fair amount of hay and also had some parsley

Thanks all......we'll continue to keep an eye on her and let you know
hahah It sounds like she's feeling okay. :D

It definitely sounds as if baby girl isstarting to feel better. Just keep doing what you are doing. It mighttake a little while for her to get totally back to normal. She may getback to normal and have an occassional runny poop for a few days.

I'm glad she's feeling better. Awesome job catching it so fast.

Tina

Caution:
Directions for use must be carefully followed.

this statement alone would scare thehell out of me . what do they mean exactlly ?

INGREDIENTS

Dehydrated Alfalfa Meal,Soybean Hulls, Wheat Shorts, Barley,Soybeans, Soya Oil (preserved with RosemaryExtract, Vitamin E and Citric Acid), Brewers Yeast, Lignin Sulfonate,Dicalcium Phosphate, Salt, Calcium Carbonate, Magnesium Oxide, AscorbicAcid (A source of Vitamin C), Rice Hulls, DL Methionine, MannanOligoSaccharide, Choline Chloride, Yucca Extract, Iron Sulphate,Manganese Oxide, Vitamin E, Zinc Oxide, Niacin, Copper Sulphate,Mineral Oil, Vitamin A, Folic Acid, Calcium Pantothenate, Selenium,Riboflavin, Vitamin B12, Vitamin D3, Vitamin K, Biotin, PyridoxineHydrochloride, Calcium Iodate, Thiamine Mono-nitrate, CobaltSulphate

How old is your rabbit , is it still just a baby ? under 6 months old?

If it is an older rabbit it may be thehighlighted ingredients that is theproblem , thats a lot of Soy and rabbitsover 6 months old really dont need alfalfa . It too rich on theirsystems and may be the cause of the stinky poops .

If a rabbit is getting fresh greens and plentyof hay I dont see the need forall teh added Vitamins this food has listed asbeing in there . too many vitamins can bejust as disaterous as not enough. Personally I wouldnt use this feedfor even baby rabbits .

Latest posts

Back