So while we were out....

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mouse_chalk

Reaction score
Ok, so this is big news.....

GIANT news!

I'm really scared to tell you all, I don't know why. I just am. But Ali said she will kick my butt if I don't post this now!

We adopted a new bunny today.

A giant bunny!!

They had her down as a Flemish, but I don't think she's big enough.... She's 6/7 months old, and we've not weighed her yet but I'm sure she's at least 7kg/ 15lbs if not more.... She's about twice the size of Snowy!

She was in the adoption section in Pets At Home.... she was originally returned (I think) to another store outside of Bristol but after being there for a while, nobody wanted her so she was transferred to our local store. She's been there since at least the beginning of November, when we first noticed her. We honestly nearly got her then but had our holiday coming up, and Chalk and Snowy's ops, etc etc.....

We knew we wanted her but were scared to make the leap. We didn't want to upset the others, but they have calmed down a LOT since the fights....And she is an upstairs bunny! She is going to be living in our bedroom! At the moment she is in a pen, which isn't huge but big enough for tonight. Tomorrow we'll be either making it bigger or bunny-proofing the room so she can be free-range in there. Then she can have free roam of the upstairs landing as well once we install a stairgate....

Hmmm.... do you want pictures?

Here she is....

Introducing, DOTTY!!! :D

IMG_8220.jpg

(checking out RO and my conversation with Ali- she's not shy at all!)

IMG_8222.jpg

IMG_8227.jpg

'My ears aren't big!!'

IMG_8232.jpg

IMG_8233.jpg

That's it! Please don't be mad at me! I have been shaking since we bought her home... I am so excited.... I can't believe we actually have her!!

Oh she's BEAUTEEEFULLL! I love her!

Jen, could she be a checkered giant?

Why would we be upset with you? It's great!

I'm mad! Mad that you're not giving her to me!!!

She is STUNNING! And huge :shock:. I am so proud of you two for taking her, and so happy for you. She's simply gorgeous.

lemme get this straight....:shock:

this is a rabbit board right?

you are showing us pics of a beautiful bunny right?

you have adopted said bunny, instead of leaving her in a pet store window right?

now we are supposed to be mad at you?:?

Bo B Bunny wrote:
Why would we be upset with you? It's great!
Erm.... I don't know..... I'm sorry guys! I guess I was just nervous lol. I was worried that people might think she was just an impulse 'buy' and we hadn't thought her through properly. It's true that she was partly impulse, we have wanted her for ages but didn't really think it was possible until we actually came face to face with her. We've been going in there for weeks saying 'lets see Dotty!' and almost hoping that she would still be there, because if she wasn't we would worry where she had gone.

Sam, the manager, we know pretty well and when we were walking in she was talking to a customer. She said she saw our faces as we approached her pen and just knew we would have her lol! Then she had to go and pick her up so we could rub her nose, and she was SO friendly!

As for breed, I have no idea!! I guess she could be a checkered giant, although I have no idea about weight and stuff. I did think she looked a bit like a giant papillon- linky! but again I'm not sure of the weight.... Either way, I'm pretty sure she's not a purebred lol! I'll post in the rabbitry a bit later...

Umm... I can't remember what other people have said now lol! I'll post again in a minute when I've read it all :p

LuvaBun wrote:
WooHoo :)

Jen, she's gorgeous - AND you've got your bedroom bunny :)

Is she spayed? Are you going to introduce her to the others? Who knows, she may be the 'peacemaker' between them ;)

Congrats to you and Steve.

Jan
Thanks!

YES! Finally! A bedroom bunny!!!! :woohoo

She's not spayed yet. Or vaccinated. Vaccinations are first stop, and then spay will follow closely behind, because I'd forgotten what an unspayed sexually mature bunny smelt like!! :shock:

We haven't even thought about introducing her to the others yet. We think that we want to leave her up there to settle in first, before she interacts with other buns. We'd like to get to the stage where she can come down and play down here with us. Steve wanted to have her on the sofa with him and watch a fllm last night LOL but I said we should keep her seperate for now just in case she has any health issues. So far she seems perfect!

Oh, I'd heard about giant breeds being vocal? MAN is that true!! She honks ALL the time! She was honking so loud last night she honestly sounded like 100 guinea pigs in stereo, and I sat up wondering if she was ok, but no, she was just loving her timothy hay THAT much lol!!! :p

And everything she does is on a magnified level to me! I thought I could hear her scratching her ears, and thought it was going on a while. So I sat up to look, and it was just the sound of her eating hay! Then she DID scratch her ears and I felt the floor shake! :shock:

She's so friendly as well. I have pictures (on my mobile so hard to get off but I'll do it in a bit) of Steve lying on the bed last night and her lying snuggled up against him. She LOVES noserubs and has barely run away from us. She kicks a bit when you pick her up but once you have her, she snuggles under your chin.... She is not litter trained whatsoever lol.... Have to sort that one out!

Also, a couple of things we didn't think through. We had a spare corner litter tray and spare bowls, but we didn't really think about the size of her, because she barely fits in the litter tray, and she can empty the water bowl pretty much in one go! We are going to get new bigger ones later I think lol...

She seems like she might like to eat cables, so we've put everything out of the way, and I think that later we might just make sure it's bunny proofed and let her be free in the bedroom. We plan on getting a stair gate at some point, and covering the bannisters in the hallway with flexible plastic, so she can have that to run about in as well :biggrin2:

So that's all the latest on sharing our bedroom with a giant!! :bunnydance:

Jen I am so chuffed for you.. I mean like really chuffed :biggrin2:To help ya out a bit I bought Sully a nice dog bowl out of pets at home becuase he is so big (and to be honest not very spacialy aware) and was couping it all the time every time he came to say hello :p

I posted in teh rabbitry that yes def. giant pappillion but may be crossed with british or conti giant (we don't have a lot of flemish over here) but with giant breeds the bigger the better as you can see from the standard.

She is very beautiful I am so glad you got her :)nice xmas present for you and her!!!

Latest posts

Back