Snuffles and Concenia??

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
oops sorry for the confusion. Invermectin is the one given 10 days apart. The other (Albone is given daily for 21 days) and is for coccidia.

I dunno about the whole ivermectin thing being given orally either when it is for injection but that is what the vet said to do and I have read others do as well.

tonyshuman wrote:
Typically, it's not recommended to give a drug in a way that it wasn't made for. I'm not sure about the injectible Ivermectin, though. I've read the ingredients and I don't think they would be damaging if given orally, but I don't have experience with that so I can't say if it's a good idea, sorry.

10 days apart sounds normal for coccidia, I think.

Hi,

I have a follow up question. How long after a bun has been on Azithromycin is it safe for him/her to be around other buns?

I have 2 new buns (Puffin who was having the GI issues and black tar poop issue) and our newest and final addition (no name yet).

The new ones are completely 100% separated on the top condo (total of 3 stories) and do not have contact with Peanut and Delilah. I do wash my hands often BUT my biggest fear is that they are going to get what Peanut & Delilah may have. They do sometimes have contact with areas that peanut and Delilah have been in BUT I try to minimize this.

Peanut and Delilah have been on Azithromycin (sp) for 2 weeks now. Peanut is 2 lbs or just under get's 1.5 cc's & Delilah is 4.6 oz or so and gets 2.1 ccs a day. I have seen 98% improvement in Delilah and about an 85% improvement in Peanut. Some days Peanut is better than others. He does not have discharge or any of that...he just sneezes and maybe a lil dampness (if any) will be present.

Any thoughts.

Just for clarity....Ivermectin can be administered orally, injected or topical. It is not the first choice for parasite control as there are safer and better drugs with broader coverage. Albon is ineffective against coccidia and as a sulfanomide, can cause serious GI issues. These are just old school treatments that we now know are not the most effective.

Randy

I am soo sorry for the confusion (not much sleep last night) LOL But what I am asking about in my prior question is regarding the sneezing and treatment for 2 weeks (so far ) on Azithromycin (sp) for SNEEZING and the chances of it getting passed to the new young bunnies that are separated...

None of the bunnies are on Albone or Baytril any longer. :)

ra7751 wrote:
Just for clarity....Ivermectin can be administered orally, injected or topical. It is not the first choice for parasite control as there are safer and better drugs with broader coverage. Albon is ineffective against coccidia and as a sulfanomide, can cause serious GI issues. These are just old school treatments that we now know are not the most effective.

Randy

Envyme wrote:
Hi,

I have a follow up question. How long after a bun has been on Azithromycin is it safe for him/her to be around other buns?

I have 2 new buns (Puffin who was having the GI issues and black tar poop issue) and our newest and final addition (no name yet).

The new ones are completely 100% separated on the top condo (total of 3 stories) and do not have contact with Peanut and Delilah. I do wash my hands often BUT my biggest fear is that they are going to get what Peanut & Delilah may have. They do sometimes have contact with areas that peanut and Delilah have been in BUT I try to minimize this.

Peanut and Delilah have been on Azithromycin (sp) for 2 weeks now. Peanut is 2 lbs or just under get's 1.5 cc's & Delilah is 4.6 oz or so and gets 2.1 ccs a day. I have seen 98% improvement in Delilah and about an 85% improvement in Peanut. Some days Peanut is better than others. He does not have discharge or any of that...he just sneezes and maybe a lil dampness (if any) will be present.

Any thoughts.
If peanut and Delilah are in the same room with Puffin and the other new one they have already been exposed.

There is little that you can do right now but it doesn't hurt to wash your hands and the 2 new ones could have stronger immune systems.

I have never had a respiratory infection from one bun pass to any of my other buns although they are all on the same floor of my house.

Back