Snowy Spayed Tomorrow!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He might just be worried about her. Or maybe he's just not hungry. I have one bun, Sasha who usually eats up every piece of green she gets, but then out the clear blue one day she won't touch it, and I will think something is terribly wrong... then the next day she is back to normal. So hopefully he's just no interested, maybe he's more interested in Snowy and how she's feeling.I don't think it's anything to worry about right yet. :)

As I speak now, Barney is sat over by Snowy, eating the food lol! It's a VERY odd day when they're not hungry I've come to realise, and I suppose it still is quite early yet- I'm just so paranoid lol!;)I don't wanna go to bed and leave them on their own, but maybe the quiet will help her....

JEN! STOP WORRYING!! :disgust:

Worry Jen reared her ugly head again this morning! :(

Snowy hadn't moved at all, she was still sat in the same spot this morning (although she had apparently eatena small amount of greens but not too much) and she still hadn't pooed that I could see. I went to the doctors, supermarket and to my mum's for an hour or 2 and she still hadn't moved. I was going to give her some metacam but STUPID me I'd forgotten to get any yesterday at the vets!! :grumpy:So we called in at the vets, and because they were quiet at the timewe went back and took her in for the vet to have a look. The vet reckoned her temperature was slightly high, and she was (obviously) quite sore around the area, but apart from that the wound is ok! He gave her an injection of Metacam, and I've got PLENTY now to give her some tomorrow and the next couple of days if need be.

She's eaten a bit more carrot top since she's been home, and she weed in the litter box!!! But other than that she's not moved at all really, and still no poo......

I know I'm probably overreacting, but I think she did need painkillers- I really thought we had some at home!! And it can't have hurt for them to take a look at her? :?

My poor Snowy, I'm so sorry babe!! :(

Females sometimes take about 48 hours to come around.

We can double check, but I think that includes pooing. I knew she'd be sore after that initial pain medicine. Poor girl. This is why I always feel so bad for them.

I've had little babies and fully grown adults spayed (up to 5 years).

I found the younger ones bounced back with in 12 hours of coming home. Moving around and eating like normal. The older ones took much longer. Wildfire and Sugar, spayed at 2 and 5 years old, both took a long time to feel better.

I syringed mushed up pellets to Wildfire before giving her pain meds so she wouldn't have to take them on an empty stomach. Sugar I think I managed to entice with veggies.

I would keep offering her the greens, lots of fresh hay and water. You can try giving her some watered down juice to get more fluids in her or getting her veggies nice and wet is also a good way. Especially now that she's got some pain meds, she should start perking up soon.

I don't think either Wildfire or Sugar moved around very much for about a week after their spays. If she's liking the soft towels, then make sure all her food/water is with in reach of where she's sitting.

--Dawn

Thanks Dawn! :)I'd been making her veg as wet as possible already, to make sure she gets some fluids in her...

Also, she's surrounded by a pile of hay, a bowl of food (veg/pellets) and a shallow dish of water lol...

But, SHE'S EATEN!!! YAAAAAYYYY!!! :DSteve put her dinner down just now and she's eaten about half of the big bowl of veg... I'm sooo pleased!

She's still not moved much, but has peed in the litter tray twice. She also did 2 MASSIVE squishy cecals- that's NOT the kind of poo I was wanting to see :disgust:Still yet to see normal poop but I gues it's still pretty early days? And if she's eating the veg and hay, that's got to be a good sign- surely it'll have to come out some time right?

Anyway, thanks soooo much everyone for all your help- I know I'm a paranoid bunny mum, but I guess it's partly cos Mouse and Chalk (at 4 months) bounced back so quickly I hadn't really factored in that Snowy might not be so resilient!

Jen xx

I'm so glad to hear she has eaten. I hope her recovery will continue to go well and she'll be feeling better very, very soon.:)

Our Pumpkin had her surgery done when she was about 4 or 5....we're not exactly sure how old she really is!....She took quite a while to eat and move about, and she, too, had squishy cecals the first time or two that she went after the operation. Just thought I'd share that....I know how worried you get....I was a basket case when each of our buns had it done. Take care, and nose rubs to your dear girl!

A w w w , sorry I didn't see this sooner, Jen. That's pretty typical to look a lot better the first 12 hours than the next 12 hours.

The pain shot wears off and THAT's when it gets nervewracking. And the mate will react as well.

It's so important to have the meds on hand, I really wish the Vets were up on that, they almost never suggest it much lessmake sure of it. They say the shot lasts 24 hours, but I'd be giving mine at least Metacam (if not something stronger) before hour 16 myself.

But it sounds like she's doing great now.

Sorry it's so stressful -- for all three of you!

sas :pink iris:

Thanks everyone, for all your good wishes! :)

Snowy is doing sooo much better today! Last night she had a hop round the outside of her cage- I had the door open to let Barney have a run around, and she didn't move too much, but it was good to see that she can move now- she doesn't seem to be in too much pain anymore. Steve said that she ate all of her share and more of their breakfast, and was back to begging for the veg before it was down again like she normally does!

We gave her some Metacam this morning- she took it surprisingly well. I wrapped her in a towel and 'babied' her whilst my mum who was round syringed it into her mouth, and she seemed to like it! Since then she's eaten some more pellets and hay, had a hop around the cage, and now she's sleeping, but she's been flopped out sleeping, as opposed to sitting hunched up like before. On the poo front, there were quite a few on the towels she was sitting on- nice and normal looking, but a bit smaller than normal? There was also quitea few in the litter tray, although obviously some were Barney's! I've cleaned the cage completely now though so I can keep an eye on what she does...

Woo! I'm soo glad she seems better! I wish our vets had given us painkillers as well, I just felt so bad for not asking about it when we picked her up. But they had no problem with giving any yesterday, and I suppose it's only right that he would want to check that there wasn't anything more serious before he prescribed them- there was no charge for the check up anyway, just the painkillers! (And my mum paid bless her :dude:)

But yeah, good news from our house this morning! :DThanks again guys, I would have gone MAD without you all!

Jen xx

Way to go, Snowy :party: It was so sad thinking of her in pain, hooray for feeling better and being her normal hungry self! Maybe her poops are small because the "factory" is starting up again? And don't feel bad about the Metacam, you got her what she needs, even had the vet look at her and now she's on the mend :nod

Ohhh, I was so happy to read your news today! That is awesome! Yeah for Snowy!!!:pinkbouce::great:

Sorry for the double post---it kept saying error so I didn't think it went through.

Thanks you guys! Snowy's currently stretched out looking very comfortable with Barney on the bottom floor of Mouse and Chalk's cage! Mouse and Chalk themselves are asleep on the other floors! So cute! :)

Back