Snowy Spayed Tomorrow!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mouse_chalk

Reaction score
Hi guys, :)

Well, the title is pretty self-explanatory- Snowy is being spayed tomorrow! Time was ticking away since she turned 2 in January, just before we got her, so we were quite keen to get it done ASAP, and we're also hoping it'll help make bonding her with Mouse and Chalk easier? At the moment she seems to love them, but they still seem quite scared of her and run away a lot?

Anyway, we're taking her in at 8.45am, our vets are literally just round the corner, and I love them. They've alwaysbeen very knowledgable aboutrabbitsand really friendly. They'll probablysend us home with painkillers, but also Snowy will go back for a check-up the next day as well, to make sure she's doing ok and get extra painkillers if she needs them. So I'm quite happy about the whole thing, but still, I can't help worry! :?

On a side note, we went into the Pets At Homestore where we adopted Barney and Snowy from in the first place (they have a rescue section in there as well as regular baby rabbits), and told the assistant manager how they'd been getting on. She really cares about the animals and looks after them all really well- unlike most large pet stores who will give incorrect information and sell rabbits to just anyone she really vets people beforehand. She says that she tries to put people off rabbits as much as possible with all the info about vaccinating, spaying, illness etc, and then if they're still interested after that she knows they'll make a good bunny owner.

They've also had some really unsuitable rabbit cages in recently- not tall enough for rabbits to stand up in or do anything much- and she's hidden them all at the back of the top shelf so people can't buy them!! And she's trained up all the staff to give anyone wanting to buy a rabbit over Eastera hard time- give them all the facts about owning rabbits etc to make sure they really want to commit to owning one. :DI know it probably still doesn't stop some people, but at least she really cares abotu the rabbits...

ALSO, she told us that she doesn't buy her hay from there, but from a local supplier that's apparently really good and cheap, so we're going there to get some this week! Yay!

Sooo, sorry this was a long post, but I wanted to put that bit in!

Wish Snowy good luck for tomorrow! :)

:apollo:Jen xx

Keep us posted when you hear she's done all all.

Good luck little Snowy!!!

Thanks! I will do! :)

I'm so stupid... Part of the reason of starting this thread in the first place was cos I wanted to ask something... and I completely forgot!

:foreheadsmack:I wasn't just boring you guys for the sake of it, honest! :lookaround

Anyway, I wanted to ask, will Barney and Snowy be ok to be seperated whilst she's in? We can take Barney on the journey with us, but the vet said that there isn't a whole lot of space there to keep them both... Will they be alright to be apart? I think that we'll be picking Snowy up at 3ish if all goes to plan...

Any input would be great! :)

Goodluck Snowy! We will be thinking of you!

And for once, I know how it feels. It's so scary getting a rabbit spayed, even if you feel comfortable with the vets and everything. Goodluck!

And your PAH person sounds really awsome. Now we need to clone her and stick the clones in each petstore everywhere...

Thanks guys! :)

:waiting:

I get to call the vets in an hour..... Argh I'm counting down the minutes! Poor Barney seems sad without herbless him... he keeps running round the living room like he's looking for her or something. I'm giving him lots of cuddles in the meantime! ;)

Prayers said for Snowy! I'm sure everything will go fine and you'll be so relieved when you can bring Snowy home! :)

Thinking of you and Snowy! Sending big hugs and bunny kisses. The lady at Pets at Home sounds fantastic hehe she even told you where best to go tobuy hay hehe.

Are Barney and Snowy in cages. You could if you haven't already have the cages near to each other so they can still see and smell one another.

Let us know how Snowy is doing, when can you go fetch her?

Big cuddle for you Snowy xxxx and a big cuddle for Jen as well because she deserves one xxxx

Guess what......

SHE'S HOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:stork: :woohoo

We picked her up about 45mins ago- she hadn't eaten much of the veg we gave her in her 'packed lunch'. We put the carrier with the door and lid off in the doorway of their cage, and Barney immediately jumped in there to groom her head lol! He then just kept jumping in and out, as if he was showing her that she should follow him? So after about 15mins of sitting there hunched up, she went out striaght to the litter tray :D(Not sure if she did anything though...) and then munched on some carrot top, romaine and some hay :D:D:D

Now she's sat on lots of folded up towels under the step in her favourite place and appears to be having a snooze....

So she's not doing amazing, but all in all not too bad I guess considering what she's just had done lol!

Thanks guys!! I'm sooooo glad she's home ok! :biggrin2:

:hug:Jen xx

Keep her kinda quiet tho! She is probably on pain meds and they might have given her something locally in the incision!

She might get pretty sore tomorrow.

I'm so glad she's home!!!! :)

Don't worry she is being kept quiet- I've left Barney in with her for now as they get upset if they're separated for too long, and he seems to be just leaving her alone to sleep now he knows she's ok. The floor of their cage is COVERED with folded up towels to make it really comfy, their cage is near the radiator which is on (not high though) to keep her warm and I've got a rice sock if need be! Think I've got everything so far?

:)

Jen xx

I know- it's so much worse for them! :(

And boy, do I feel bad lol- I keep apologising to her, and she just gives me a look as if to say 'your apology means NOTHING to me' lol! :(

Poor Snowy!

Poor Snowy! I've always felt really guilty when I've neutered a pet, they don't know it's for their own good... I've never had to spay a pet before and I know it's more invasive, and Tallulah is a fragile bunny, so I hope she'll be okay!

How is Snowy doing now? Did you get her any special treats?

Thanks guys! :)(I need to think of a more original way of saying that lol....)

I don't know if it's maybe because Snowy's older than Mouse and Chalk were, but she doesn't seem to be bouncing back too well... She's only moved the once since about 5ish, although she has nibbled on a bunch of hay and had a *little* drink of water. We put dinner down about an hour and a half ago and she's eaten a little bit of corriander but not much else! I rinsed the veg in water so they were quite wet, I thought that this might be a good way to get moisture into her?

She's loving the comfy towels though, and I'm heating up a rice sock for her at the moment to make sure she stays warm....

I know it's still early days yet, but how long before I should start to worry if she doesn't eat/move around much?

Jen xx

I'm glad Snowy did well! Sounds like you are taking exellent care of her... I wouldn't be surprised if she is putting on a little bit of a show, so this keeps up ;)I wouldn't worry about her yet, sounds like she is coming along just fine.Good idea keeping the veg a little wet, I don't see why that wouldn't help her. The fact she is eating her hay is good news.

I'm happy to hear that Snowy's doing well...i'm sure she will be feeling muchbetter in a couple of days:)

Cheryl

Thanks guys! I'm glad to hear that I seem to be doing everything right so far... I just always worry that I'm doing something wrong! :?

I've just noticed, that although Barney's eaten, he's not eaten a whole lot either... He ate some of the veg I put down for Snowy earlier (naughty bun!) and he has been eating, just not much... Could it be that he knows Snowy isn't well and isn't eating without her? They usually eat together... I'm pretty sure there's nothing wrong with the food- it's all fresh today/yesterday, washed and Mouse and Chalk have eaten their dinner fine....

:?

Latest posts

Back