Snowflake has diarreha???

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rabbitsrock_love

Reaction score
This morning I saw Snowflake has 4 puddles of wet, gooey poo. The color is like a sort of dark brown.(Like this litter tray's poo color.):litterhealthy:And I just fed her some carrots to spend the night. So why does she have diarreha? Is there some medicene to prescribe? Or should I feed her some type of food? Is the best thing to do is to take her to the vet? Please help give a treatment, a cure... ...I don't want her to die!!! :in tears:

Anyway, can everyone give Snowflake lots of vibes so she can hang in? Thanks...

Snowflake, I give you lots of vibes and hope you get better! xxx :pray::pink iris:

At the moment, I would give lots of fresh water and hay.

Carrots are high in sugar and when given in large amounts or to rabbits not used to them, can give them loose stools. If it was the carrots that upset her stomach, then it should go away if you feed her hay and water for a day.

You can also give her some probiotic like Bene-bac or a human acidophilus (mix with juice in a syringe). This will help to re-acidify her gut and that helps the good bacteria grow.

If she is not better in the morning, I would look into taking her to a vet.

Dawn

rabbitsrock_love wrote:
This morning I saw Snowflake has 4 puddles of wet, gooey poo. The color is like a sort of dark brown.(Like this litter tray's poo color.):litterhealthy:And I just fed her some carrots to spend the night. So why does she have diarreha? Is there some medicene to prescribe? Or should I feed her some type of food? Is the best thing to do is to take her to the vet? Please help give a treatment, a cure... ...I don't want her to die!!! :in tears:

Anyway, can everyone give Snowflake lots of vibes so she can hang in? Thanks...

Snowflake, I give you lots of vibes and hope you get better! xxx :pray::pink iris:
diet issues,can be mind boggoling..here is a link that everyone should have http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/poop.html --the mystery of rabbit poops,--sincerely james waller:big wink:

According to an earlier post, Snowflake was a month old July 7th when she was purchased. :(

Diarrhea in a baby is serious, especially a baby taken away from its family so young. I really would get her to a vet right away.

She'll need fluids and fiber (you can start by giving her lots of dry alfalfa or grass hay and lots of water) and a diagnosis re: what the exact problem is.

Check out the two recommended articles in our Library section on Diarrhea, take them with you to your Vet:

Enteritis Complexes: Coccidiosis, Mucoid Enteropathy, and Enterotoxemia (Pamela Alley) - describes the different intestinal ailments that commonly cause diarrhea in rabbits.
http://www.showbunny.com/gastrointestinal.htm

Intestinal Diseases -- Enterotoxemia, Tyzzer's Disease, Colibacillosis, Proliferative Enteropathy, Mucoid Enteropathy (Merck Vet Manual)
http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/171319.htm

Depending on the exact cause, eg: a Clostridium bacterial overgrowth, ask the vet about using BioSponge, a paste or powder often used in horses that they're now making/prescribing for small pets, too.

Another common drug is Questran.

Depending on what's causing the problem, they may or may not want to prescribe an antibiotic or a dewormer.

What all do you feed her? What brand of pellets? Definitely cut out the carrots, they could be the problem. For now, again, just give her as much hay/alfalfa as she'll eat. No sugars, no carbohydrates, you want her eating fiber and drinking fluids.

Hope she's okay!

sas :clover:

Oh my, at that age poos like what you described are definitely an emergency situation. She will need sub-q fluids, probably some metronidazole, and Bio-sponge or Questran.

I hope she gets better soon!

:yeahthat:

A good pellet might also be helpful. You can buy an alfalfa hay based pellet at many farm supply stores that is cheap and will help her grow. Look for one with higher fiber and lower fat.

Latest posts

Back