snotty nosed 12 week old bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Shiloh,

Did you get a copy of the labs? I certainly would like to take a look at that. Couple of things concern me. Based on your post....I would want some more detailed info. Maybe the doctor would be willing to spend a few quality moments with you since I am of the feeling that "inquiring minds want to know". And I would like some more information.

From what I can see in the picture...that looks like dry skin. We use cool mist humidifiers. They can be purchased at any pharmacy or major big box retailer. The cool misters come in several styles. Some make something like steam...but it's not. I prefer the ones with the conical shaped wicks. We also have given them a bath every now and then for this. We use large cat litter pans and put an inch or two of warm water in it. We use an oatmeal based shampoo and skin conditioner that does a great job. But just in case, I would have no problem doing a scraping and taking a look under the scope....just to be sure.

Randy

Randy

Randy and AngelnSnuffy, thanks for helping me! Randy, you were kind enough to reply to my PM and I forgot to thank you for that.

The vet called me to tell me what showed up in the culture so I don't have a copy of the lab reports. I could call tomorrow though and see about getting it! I think they actually told her over the phone what was on it because she said she called the lab to ask. What concerns did you have about it? This vet is nice and helpful but I wish I'd had our normal vet! She has more experience and it shows.

It turns out that we have a mistifier already! I had no idea. I told my boyfriend we need to buy one and apparently we have one upstairs in the closet that he brought from his parents' house. He said it's good and goes through a gallon or two of water per day. Do you recommend giving her a bath? Do I find oatmeal shampoo at the pet store and can I just bathe her in the sink like you would normally bathe a small animal, get her wet, rub in the shampoo and rinse well?

I'm sure Tallulah would be thankful if she knew you were helping her. At the least, she'd bounce over to you, jump on your shoulder and snuggle you.

Tallulah has poopy butt today :( The had it last night too. It looks fairly messy and there are normal round poops stuck to her fur, but the good thing anyway is that today the area directly around her anus is clean, so hopefully she's not pooping more mushy ones and the messiness is just left over. She's acting great and has a couple mushy poops in her litter box, but the rest are all normal. I'm in the process of switching her over to Zupreem Nature's Promise timothy pellets, perhaps I gave her a few too many of the new pellets yesterday. Today I have only given her lots of timothy hay, does that seem to be a good approach? I've only been giving her a few of the new pellets at each feeding (she gets fed pellets twice a day), but I will give her fewer in the future.

Her nose continues to be a little damp.

How old is Tallulah now? She still looks pretty small so can probably have her on an alfala pellet for a while yet if that's what she's used to already.

Hope she's feeling ok today :D.

Oh Tallulah...still worrying mommy half to death! I tell ya.

How is she doing today Shiloh? Is she a Holland lop (sorry, I forgot:foreheadsmack:). If so, I heard that they are more prone to having sludgebutt (don't know if that is an actual term but that is what I have heard it being called) especially due to treats. Are you feeding her treats? Hopefully once she is transitioned with her food she will be all better.

I hope she gets better soon. :hug2:Give her lots of nose rubs and pets from me and my crew.

Michelle, I'm actually trying to transition Tallulah from one brand of timothy pellets to another. My vet suggested I use timothy with her from the beginning. I believe the brand I was using may have caused her poop problems before (Kaytee Timothy Complete, some bunnies don't handle it well) so I want to get her on the brand I usually use, the Zupreem Nature's Promise Timothy. Unfortunately, the transition isn't very easy on her even though I'm going slowly. She has a sensitive little tum tum!

Jackie, Lulu lives a very sad life and never gets treats :( She only gets her pellets and hay and looks at me oh, so pathetically when Rory gets a treat.

She still has poopy butt this morning :( I picked all the poops off that were stuck to her last night and at least there aren't any more today! The poops in her litter box look normal for the most part. I'm only giving hay to her today again, does this seem like a good choice? Should I make another vet appointment? If I do, I'll be sure to request Dr. DeLeon, I'm still not convinced the vet we had last week did things right. It was so weird, I brought Tallulah in and was asking questions and her reply was always either "I don't know" or "maybe". I brought Lulu in to get some answers so it was kind of frustrating, even though she was a nice girl (she looked like she was about 25).

Boy,I don't blame you. I would get so mad if a vet answered my questions like that.

I hope my little Tallulah gets better. I've been watching this thread, butjust now decided to post. I never know what to say and these threads. But you are always here for Macey so I just wanted to make sure you knew for surethat I waspraying for Talllulah. :pray:

Get better soon little girl!

Some of my rabbits have had pasteurella and I have had to do fun things ;) like picking bunny boogers away from their nostrils and off of whiskers (the things you do when your a bun parent).

My vet prefers injectable Baytril to treat them (easier to administer), unfortunately a couplehad a reaction to the injections at the site of the injection (caused a hard lump under the skin).

Yes, I havehad experience with TMS: Trimethoprim/Sulfamethoxazole,grape flavored! yum! The ones getting it get it twice a day. It works well and its so much fun to get them to take their medicine:laugh:.

I had one bun that came down with pasteurella (snuffles) last week and like Randy said the others were exposed to it by the time it was diagnosed. (I have several that sneeze when Iclean the roomor distribute hay, so I wasn't quick to call the vet.)He is on the mend and is doing better after a week.

Good luck, you will probably see improvement after 2-3 days.

Wabbitdad, the culture came back negative for pasteurella and the vet thinks it's because it's so dry here. She wasn't given any medication.

Montana, Tallulah and I appreciate your support! :hug:

SnowyShiloh wrote:
Wabbitdad, the culture came back negative for pasteurella and the vet thinks it's because it's so dry here. She wasn't given any medication.

Montana, Tallulah and I appreciate your support! :hug:
My apologies, I was reading through the posts quickly and missed where you had said itit had come back negative.I am glad she is o.k.

How old is she?

I find sometimes w/ my young hollands (usually younger than she is probably) their fir is such a fuzzy texture around their lil bum that poop gets stuck and built up there pretty easily sometimes, what I do is clip the area pretty short and generally by the time it grows out they've learned to take better care of themselves in that regard!

Hope you get her sorted soon, good news that the culture tested neg for pasturella!

Wabbitdad, no problem! :D I read what I posted again and it sounded kind of short tempered, I promise that's not how I felt when I was typing it out. I was just too lazy to re-cap everything :) Good to know though that that medication will be a good one if she does ever have pasteurella. Grape flavored, you say? I hope your bunnies get better soon! With so many buns I'm sure you experience a lot of bunny illnesses simply because you have so many, you must gain as much experience in one year as I would in my whole life even if I had at least one bunny all the time!

An update on Tallulah's poop: I just put her in the bathroom for five minutes while I vacuumed (I think the sound might scare her and she doesn't need to be scared) and when I came back, she had peed on the bath mat and left 40-50 poops all over everywhere. I kid you not. They were not at all mushy, they were actually pretty dry and some of them crumbled when I tried to clean them up. They varied in size from normal sized to very tiny, with most of them being quite small. They were all perfectly round. How odd, why would she have poopy butt and tiny dry turds? She is getting lots of water and as much hay as the can eat. I figure the poopy butt might be due to cecals.

Oh, the mystery that is Tallulah!

SnowyShiloh wrote:
I figure the poopy butt might be due to cecals.

Oh, the mystery that is Tallulah!
:yeahthat: that's the fun I find....and I think that's exactly what starts it! There is alot of butt checking that goes on around here w/ the lil ones!

Latest posts

Back