Smelly Cage/Not eating as much

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sukichan

Reaction score
Basically when I first got Bailey and D'arcy they would eat a lot, I would have to completely refill their bowl every day. Now they hardly eat much from it and they don't eat much hay either. The other day I gave them some carrots and they ate them.They are still eating and drinking, but just not as much as they had initially had. And also their cage is quite smelly lately. I clean it every day and change the litter. Any advice? Thanks!

Maybe when you got them they were young, growing rabbits, and now they are fully mature? Or if they were rescues they had been neglected and underfed but now have caught up?

It's easier to monitor their eating and keeps them from overeating if you give them a specific amount of pellets each day. Say, for an adult average sized rabbit, 1/3 cup per rabbit per day, divided into two feedings. The amount can vary a lot based on how many veggies you feed. They may not be eating hay because they fill up on pellets if they are being free-fed pellets. It is OK if their pellet bowl is empty during the day (it probably will be) as long as they have plenty of hay always available.

As for the smell, maybe you need to try a different litter. I use Feline Pine (pelleted wood) and it works excellently.

Latest posts

Back