Smallest Rabbit Breed

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HerbyBear

Reaction score
I don't know if this has been discussed on here before, but I just have a quick question and I'm looking for a straight forward answer. What is the smallest breed of rabbit in America that can be pets. And, how big do they get (weight and length)? Thanks in advance.

We're thinking of buying another bunny but want the smallest possible :)

I would say between a netherland and a polish. Both awesome pets.

Maximum weight is at or around 2.5 lbs, length varies but estimated under 12 inches from nose to tail.

you will have to go to a breeder that has small parents to get a small bun...go to a pet tre you will end up with a 5bs "netherland dwarf"

I figured it was Netherland Dwafs. They're adorable. I can't find any local breeders though. Anyone know of some in New Jersey? :D

AquaticRex wrote:
http://www.petfinder.com/pet-search?animal_type=Rabbit&pet_breed=Netherland+Dwarf&location=NJ&distance=0

here are a few that are looking to be rescued around NJ. make sure to look at the map, as they could be further from NJ in some areas
Very few of the rabbits pictured here are actually ND's, so I recommend talking to some breeders if you plan to bring home an ND. That doesn't mean you have to buy from a breeder if you would rather rescue, but a breeder can help you understand what characteristics to look for in and ND so that you don't end up with a 4 lb. mix that is not in any way an ND. Or if you want to or don't mind buying from a breeder, they can help you locate one.

Google and e-mail some breeders in surrounding states for suggestions. I'd be one, but I don't raise ND and I don't know of any ND breeders in NJ, but I'm sure there are some!

Oh my goodness! I just fell in love with Fluffy!

And you're right, I am most concerned about making sure I am getting an actual Netherland Dwarf. I need it to be small because of the amount of space available at the house. I want to rescue, but I want to be sure that it's definitely a ND.

If you want to PM me pics of any you're considering, I can tell you whether they're a true dwarf ND. :) Didn't think of that option to begin with, but feel free. lol

I thought the absolute smallest was a Brittania Petite.

They're wonderful rabbits, I think. Very high strung, though.
I would not get one for a child, for example.

Moro Ferret wrote:
I thought the absolute smallest was a Brittania Petite.

They're wonderful rabbits, I think. Very high strung, though.
I would not get one for a child, for example.
How big does the Brittania Petite grow up to?

max weight is 2.5 lbs. same as a dwarf but these rabbits are derived from wild bunnies. Please research the breed before you buy one. My little rocky has the greatest disposition but i also have the time to take him out daily and handle him. These little rabbits are fast too. But very darling. If youre looking for a less challenging rabbit i would recommend a dwarf or polish.

Again please research the britannia before you buy one.
Pic of rocky.
rockyy.jpg

Latest posts

Back