Slippery cage tray solutions

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alplily

Reaction score
I keep my two little Holland lops in an extra large, folding wire dog crate (in my living room), which gives them plenty of room when they can't be roaming about in the house. The removable floor tray is very slippery, which makes it hard for the buns to jump in and out, but any time I put a mat or something down, they pee all over it. Otherwise they use their litter box pretty faithfully (but they are still "in training"). Both are males and both were neutered just over a week ago (doing great, but I know hormones will take a while to settle down). I've tried a floor/entry mat, a cotton area rug, towels, etc. Newspaper also gets peed on and shredded.

So, any ideas would be appreciated. I am considering adhering strips of anti-slip tape to the tray.

I pulled them out from under a house where a man was letting his daughter keep rabbits (breeding non-stop), so, all things considered, they are doing great and are adjusting well to indoor, pampered life.

Seagrass mats might be an option. They'll chew them up in time (which is what they are made for) but it will give traction.

Once their hormones have settled more, they may be more agreeable to some of your prior options.

Might be an idea to put down a cut off of linoleum, some of them have quite good texture which is enough to give them some grip.

I use foam tiles. They provide some cushioning and traction, and pee accidents can be cleaned up relatively easily. The ones with a smoother surface are the easiest to clean off.

A few things with using foam tiles though. Some rabbits will just want to chew them up, which could be dangerous if the pieces were ingested. The tiles with the fake wood laminate covering the top can sometimes prevent this(except with very determined rabbits) as long as they can't get to the edges of the tiles to chew them(metal edging or keeping the edges outside of the rabbits cage). The seams where the tiles connect can also be a problem if urine leaks into it. I use clear mat tape to prevent this(not a perfect solution though), with newspaper under the tiles to absorb any leakage. These tiles don't give as good traction as the plain foam ones because of the smooth laminate surface, but they are the easiest to clean pee accidents off of and work the best at preventing chewing I've found.

I use both, the regular foam tiles for one pair of rabbits and the laminate tiles for my other messier group who are more inclined to chew. The cheapest regular foam tiles I've found are at Costco, but they don't always have them available there. The wood laminate ones I bought online.

There are also rubber mats which would be more durable, but I feel they would also be rougher on bunny feet and could potentially cause a rabbit to develop sore hocks.

Thanks, folks. Grass mats have not worked. I will look into linoleum and the foam tiles. Little stinkers!

So, I put down strips of duct tape, which I had at home. Simple fix. Much better for the buns now! I will watch for any edge chewing.

Back