Sleep in the same room as your bunny?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LuvaBun wrote:
However, they are no use at all if Shadow decides, at 5 in the morning, that he wants to play and jumps on the bed and digs at me :pssd:
Our dogs do that sometimes, either dig at us or lick us to get us to wake up and play. I could never have a bunny loose in my room at night, our dogs sleep in bed with us.:)

I have the 2 baby flemies, 2 guinea pigs and a hamster in my room and at night surprisingly the only one that makes noise is the hamster and his wheel.

*Goes and hugs bunnies of being so quiet at night*

My dog always wants to be let out of my room at about 1 am when my little brother comes home, so she doesn't sleep in my room if I can help it. She looks so sad when I kick her out before bed though.

It used to bother me.... our house is an old farmhouse and we have a room outside of our bedroom...we have all hardwood floors so we hear a lot of little noises that carpeted houses would absorb. This room is in the central part of the house and two bunnies are in there. Tony rooms with my son. Clover drinks all night and hops back and forth a lot. Bo starts ringing his bell if he thinks he needs food or something and will thump if he sees ANYTHING that isn't supposed to be there.. a bug, a cat, whatever. He also likes to pull his hay and it makes the hayrack hit the side of his cage.... we won't even go to the Tinkleball subject....

Along with having a dog that sleeps next to me and snores quite loudly, a cat that thinks the best time in the world to purr as loud as possible into Mom's ear is when she hits the pillow, and chickens/ducks/geese/turkeys living next door... where one Rooster thinks the moon means it is the time to crow!

Lucy lives in my room and we have had our confrontations because we have different opinions on when bed time is. With just the one it's not so bad, but she does this weird digging thing where she'll dig out the side of her cage and then bite at the plastic bottom. Which is so odd, it will go scritch scritch scritch scritch, zshork zshork zshork.
But if I get upset and make some noise around her cage, some stomping and growling and then back to bed and she'll finally fall asleep. She knows now that if she bugs me too much she gets exiled out to the hallway where she's all alone and can't hear me breathing or moving about and she gets very upset then.
I've found that a big exercise in the day time and a feeding at night makes her much calmer and happier.

Art used to say that "nothing" would ever come between us. Now he says "no one" will ever come between us - because many many times I've slept with a sick bunny in my arms....or between us on the bed (with a towel underneath).

I love having bunnies in my bedroom...except for when they want to dance on the pillow while you're sleeping - or like Tiny who would do bunny 500's about 5 am and then jump on me on his way across the bed....

Bo B Bunny wrote:
Along with having a dog that sleeps next to me and snores quite loudly,
:rofl:eek:ur youngest choc lab sleeps in with me if hubby is working nights - her snoring probably breaks health and safety regs. bunnies only sleep with me post op or if im concerned for their health. i wouldnt get any sleep if it was all the time:rollseyes

Before I penned off part of the room for the buns to be in I used to get Sky landing on my head at 3am, or Badger peering at me and tickling me with his whiskers, or Star coming and chewing whatever book I was reading.

I LOVE going to sleep with Badger on my pillow or w2ake up to find myself cuddling Sky and his sleeping with me (this has happened a few times), but the amount I wake up in the night if they are able to get on my bed is not worth it. Although they may disagree.

We slept in the same room as the buns for about six months when we first moved to Florida. The only thing that really bothered us was when they decided to do 500's in the middle of the night and the bed was part of the course. I actually missed all the little bunny noises once they got there own room.

Zeus (RIP) and Barnaby use to be in my bedroom untill I moved in Jan. I shared a bedroom with Zeus for all of his 2 years. When I moved I set up the extra bedroom as the bunnies room. At first I really missed having them in the same room. One night I tried to sleep in their room though, and boy where they loud. I must have just been use to it before? Well plus now I have 3 bunnies instead of 1 or 2 so that could be why too.

Ned lives in our bedroom. He can be so loud at night, but I've managed to find ways to work around it. I take out all his toys with bells at night, but make sure he has lots of willow baskets since it's not as loud when he chews them and dropping them doesn't make much noise. I also give him his salad right before I go to bed so I have time to fall asleep before he starts making noise, and I also replenish his hay at night so he has that to munch on. He has a water bowl instead of bottle so that doesn't make any noise. There are about 5 really heavy books on the top of the cage because he likes to lift the lid with his nose and drop it. Unfortunately, he's chewed the covers on the books but I'm just glad to get sleep!

Bo B Bunny wrote:
Along with having a cat that thinks the best time in the world to purr as loud as possible into Mom's ear is when she hits the pillow
Oh can I concur with this one...Hobbes loves to coo in my ear at about 4am, pretty much every single morning. I don't know why...or what he wants (aside from the indication his VERY loud purr is giving...that he wants love and misses me being awake). SHEESH!!

I've taken to petting him in my sleep, and then he plops down between or next to my legs. :)

Scone sleeps in my bedroom, and I don't have any problem with it. At night I tend to sleep soundly enough that Scone's hopping around or chewing on old magazines doesn't penetrate. Sometimes (as he did today) he decides to remind me what "crepuscular" means, and he sits on my pillow licking my nose at 5:30AM, but mostly he waits until just before the alarm goes off to wake me up.

Every once in a while, though, when he's gone to the other end of the house to use his litterbox or get a drink and something startles him I'll be awakened by a loud thump and the sound of a doppler-shifted bunny disappearing back under the bed.

When we first had Clover we kept her indoors and for the first night and we didn't get a lot of sleep, not because she made a noise but, because I just kept wanting to see what she was getting up to. lol!

When we first got Dotty neither of us slept well. I was constantly waking up every time she moved, went in the litter tray, everything. She honks when she grooms herself and because she's a giant bunny eating hay is really loud for her! I used to constantly wake up whenever she drank or anything.

Now though, we've gotten really used to it and sleep through most of it. We generally only wake up if she thumps for any reason- it's REALLY loud and the floor shakes when she thumps, or if she decides to throw her food bowl around- even with her new 'Hungry' bowl she still manages to tip it half-way and then drop it back down on the laminate floor. :rollseyes

Of course, there's also the times that she decides 5am is a good time to jump up and try and get cuddles from me. It's lovely and all but waking up early to a giant bunny sat on my pillow and licking my face can be a bit of a surprise at times! And she doesn't let me go back to sleep either- it's like 'Hoooraaaay! You're awake! Noserub time!' and she settles down for long-term cuddles- usually about half an hour to an hour and then just as I'm wide awake she'll jump down!

Still, for all the loss of sleep, we couldn't ever not have Dotty in our bedroom. Even though Steve gets jealous when we go to bed and she jumps up and goes to sleep in between us cuddled up to me! :p

OH!! Just thought of something that REALLY helps!! WHITE NOISE! Set up a fan or some static on the radio, and it'll go a LONG way to help cover the bunny noise. ;)

mouse_chalk wrote:
We generally only wake up if she thumps for any reason- it's REALLY loud and the floor shakes when she thumps.
Oh boy...I remember Teeny's thumps reminded me of lightning! They were SO LOUD!! You could feel his in the floor, too...really stunning!

Hopefully soon we'll know that sound again...:)

Latest posts

Back