Skyler Monroe, 12/30/07-5/13/10

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SnowyShiloh

Reaction score
My little Skyler passed away this afternoon at 2:20 pm. He was diagnosed with e. Cuniculi back in September, but had been doing fantastically well since the diagnosis. His only symptoms were the thing in his eye getting slowly worse and he couldn't eat anything high in sugar (like fruit or carrots) because it upset his stomach. Other than that, he was happy, exuberant, binkied, and generally looked like the picture of health. I always kept a close eye on him for any signs of anything sinister because I knew he would most likely be facing some bad stuff like paralysis and weight loss soon and was more susceptible to other illnesses.

Yesterday I noticed that he tripped while hopping into his litter box. The sides of his litter box are a good 6 inches and he's clumsy, but I made a mental note to watch him even closer than normal. He was acting the the same other than that. When I went downstairs at 12:30 (slept in late, long story), I went to feed them and instantly knew something was wrong because he didn't get excited when I picked up the bag of food and didn't even move when I filled his bowl.

He was sitting loaf style in his litter box with his chin on the edge, which is how he often likes to relax, but he startled when I touched him and lurched around and fell over. I took him out of his cage and he couldn't support his head and his eyes were glazed. He was almost completely unresponsive and limp. There was some brown around his nostrils and when I looked in his mouth, more brown. I ended up using a Q tip to wipe some cecals out of his mouth that he was apparently eating when he forgot what he was doing (or something) and cleaned up his nose. I could tell he was in serious trouble, and naturally his vet is out of the state right now. I could just tell he wasn't going to make it and didn't think taking him to the vet was going to accomplish anything (plus he hates car rides and going to the vet). I gave him some subcutaneous fluids, just in case it would help... it ended up not doing anything for him, but I'm glad I did it anyway.

After the fluids, I made him a little nest with a blanket so he would be supported in an upright position and lay down with him. I put a little piece of banana in front of him to see if he'd respond to it (he loves bananas) and he actually tried to take a couple of bites, but he didn't swallow. I petted him and talked to him for the next half hour, but he was completely unresponsive unless I shook him gently. He would try to take a bite of banana then. At 2:05, he started having convulsions. I held him for the next 15 minutes as he convulsed. His little heart was beating so fast at first, then it started to slow down and he began to look like he was gasping for air... I held him and rocked him gently and petted him, and sang to him the whole time, telling him he was a good boy and so brave. That it was time for him to go to heaven and he could let go. Right before his heart stopped, I told him to say "hi" to Mae Mae and Cinny (my bunnies who died before him) for me. I held him and cried for a long time after he died.

I feel fortunate that his death was pretty peaceful and he didn't have a long, drawn out death full of suffering. Just yesterday he was bouncing around like usual. He even got banana as he died, even though he couldn't swallow it. He died in my loving arms instead of alone in his cage. I can't believe he's gone and think it's utterly unfair, but I'm relieved that his passing wasn't horrible for him.

Also, for those who weren't around on the forum at the time, Skyler came to me in a very interesting way. Another forum member (JAK Rabbitry, aka Jesse) who is also a breeder bred his mother and ended up with Skyler. She fell in love with him and wanted someone on the forum to take him. I convinced my fiance to take him, so just a little over two years ago, we had him flown from Pennsylvania to Anchorage, Alaska. Then we made the 7 hour drive down to Anchorage to pick him up. He traveled over 5,000 miles to get here and did great on the trip!

RIP, sweet little Skyler. You were a wonderful bunny- always full of life and joy, and so sweet and loving and funny. Not to mention adorable beyond all reason. You're lying here next to me on your blanket but I miss you already anyway. It was a great 2 years and almost 1 month. I know you're frolicking in heaven with Cinnabun and Tallulah (both of them died in the month of May, too) and are happy and healthy and can see perfectly now.

A few of my favorite pictures of Skyler:

As a little baby- this picture made me fall in love with you:

Babysky1.jpg

Babysky4.jpg

With mama and brother at Jesse's house:

Babysky2.jpg

With Teddy:

Babysky3.jpg

When we got home from the airport:

Mylo019.jpg

The first day we had you:

Mylo033.jpg

Holding on for dear life on the drive home from Anchorage:

Mylo057.jpg

In the temporary cage I built in the kitchen the day we got home:

Mylo062.jpg

With your 2nd birthday cake a few months ago:
IMG_2218resized.jpg

What will always be my favorite picture of you- we had such a wonderful day that day... I so regret that you never had the chance to play in the yard yet this year, the snow has melted by now but new grass hasn't grown in yet.

IntheGarden118.jpg

Always eager to say hello:

IMG_1786resized.jpg

Always demonstrating the newest fashion trends:

IMG_0758resized.jpg

IMG_0814resized.jpg

Skyresized137.jpg

You LOVE bananas!

IMG_2763.jpg

The picture that I had made into a Christmas tree ornament right before I found out you were sick:

Skylerwithbear1.jpg

Skyler002.jpg

PaulsCamera106.jpg

I can still see you! Black and white fur doesn't make for good camouflage.

IntheGarden116.jpg

Tallulahslastphotos044.jpg

Big, beautiful eyes:

Tallulahslastphotos041.jpg

Chillaxin':

Skyler017-1.jpg

I'm so sorry, Shiloh. He was a really special little guy and he was lucky to find his way to you. Such a sweet, adorable little guy who meant so much to you and to everyone who saw pictures of him. I remember him from the first pictures JAK put up here, and I was really sorry to have to tell you I thought it was EC when the symptoms first appeared. EC is a terrible disease and it's such a shame it took such a special bunny from you.

Big hugs to you and your crew.

Binky free, sweet Skyler.

Oh Shiloh,

I'm so sorry Skyler Monroe has gone to the Rainbow Bridge :rainbow:.

Binky Free Skyler, I bet you are running through the fields at the Rainbow Bridge with Cinnabun and Tellulah.

Susan:bunnyangel2:

I am so sorry for your loss of Skyler. Such a handsome little man who was fortunate enough to find a family who loved him so much.

I vaguely remember the trip he took to get to you. I think I had just joined the forum then. I was in awe that someone would take such measures to get the perfect bunny for them. And I absolutely remember the pic of the beautiful birthday cake that was made for Skyler's special day. I think I felt kind of bad I didn't get to have any to share in his special day.

I hope all of the good memories of Skylerheal you heart. :dutch:hearts

Binky Free Skyler at the Bridge. :rainbow:

myheart

Shiloh, May the Lord Above give you peace. Skyler was an adorable bunny, the pics are beautiful. Remember all the joy he brought you and take comfort in knowing he is hopping around beautiful green pastures playing with other bunnies. You are in my prayers and thoughts. Blessings to you. :pink iris:

Thanks for the thoughts, everyone. Reading your messages and hearing from other people who care about him is a good thing.

Last night I went to Joann's and bought stuff so I could make him an urn. I ended up finding a figurine of a Dutch bunny, so had to buy it! I also bought a tiny cross stitch of a robin in a birdhouse and a Winnie the Pooh cross stitch, and a picture frame that suits him perfectly. They're all going to go on my dresser, which is the bunny memorial place. I sewed the bird cross stitch up last night and it's all ready to go. I've always equated the bunnies with birds (Tallulah with hummingbirds and Skyler with robins) and the Winnie the Pooh cross stitch is just in keeping with the "feel" of the bunny memorial spot. Sewing them gives me good time to think about Skyler while being productive.

Last night I also cut off Skyler's whiskers and tied a ribbon around them. It seems kind of mean to cut his whiskers, but I don't think he'll mind. I think he would want me to have part of him. I also trimmed off some fur from his chest and his back, so I have some white and black fur. I feel really guilty because I nicked his skin when I cut :( It didn't bleed or anything because it wasn't a deep cut, thankfully, but I can't get over that I cut my little bunny and it would have hurt him if he'd been alive.

We're going to bring him to his old vet (the one who treated him for this illness is out of town, can't remember if I mentioned that before) and she's going to do a necropsy on him tonight, then he's going to be privately cremated.

When Lulu died, I posted in her Rainbow Bridge thread for a good year on a regular basis, so don't be surprised if this thread gets pretty long eventually...

I can't believe all the other bunnies who have died recently... Clover, Pebbles, and a couple of days ago Jack, and a little one named Red just died too. It's terrible. Why do bunny deaths seem to come in batches? I remember Archie and a couple of others passed away right when Tallulah did also.

This afternoon we went and dropped Skyler off for his necropsy. I decided not to open his box and hold him one last time because I don't want to remember him cold and dead. I didn't take any photos of him after he died, either. Bunnies are just so completely different after they pass away... That seems really obvious of course, but there's no mistaking a bunny lying on his side, dead for more than a few minutes, for a bunny who is taking a nap lying on his side. As often as my bunnies have given me shocks of horror when I thought they were dead (but were really sleeping), there's really no mistaking the real thing.

Tonight I'm going to bake banana bread using the rest of the banana Skyler had (and some other bananas). I'm going to give all of my guys banana too. I'll always think of Skyler when I make banana bread now!

This is from the other thread in case you dont read it: "Snowy we dont have any more rabbits left. I read about ecuniculi that it also depends in part on rabbit's genetics. Our rabbits were from pet store which is not a good thing a lot of time. We dont know how they were bred and they could have been inbred or bred from animals with health issues and therefore weak. Some rabbits infected with this parasite live and never have any problems at all. SOme have mild problems at times of stress or other illness and some get very ill and or die. I think this can be treated on early stages when there are still no symptoms with antiparasitic medication.. I forgot what they are called and I can have a look around for you what we gave Black. If you give it to your other rabbits they will not go on to develop this full blown condition may be? but I dont know for sure.. just a thought to ask more expert at this illness."

Back