size

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rosalie

Reaction score
what size cage is big enough for a holland lop until i can build him/her a bigger cage? trying to stay kinda cheap because when i get the time i'm going to build a large one if anyone knows where I can get one let me know plz thanks =]

For that price you could build half a room enclosure with NIC pannels. It's much more flexible and less expensive. I have found that the cage I bought in the beginning was just a waste of money because they really are never large enough.

i found the cage i showed ya'll from some place else for 45 dollars and i wont have time til after Christmas to build one and im getting the rabbit on the 3rd of Christmas

I have a cage similar to the first one, but the large size. You showed the extra large, which would have been nice to get my bunny. She is small, 3.5 pounds and the cage is sufficient... Yours will be about the same size I think maybe slightly bigger. But I have a large pen for her that I put her in when I'm home and she stays in her cage during the day. Setting up a pen is another option. But I heard the NIC panels are great to build with. I eventually plan on doing that.

MiniLopHop wrote:
For that price you could build half a room enclosure with NIC pannels. It's much more flexible and less expensive. I have found that the cage I bought in the beginning was just a waste of money because they really are never large enough.
I havent found them many places the one place it would cost me 40 dollars just for one box of them

In my opinion it's always nice to have a generic pet store plastic bottom cage for the times you go away and need to have someone bunny sit, or if you go somewhere for a weekend and want to bring the bun with you and can't bring the NIC cage or set up the xpen.

I have a big generic cage at my parent's place for when I visit... If you found one for 45 and it isn't too terribly small, and if it's only temporary then it should be alright. :)

Rosalie wrote:
MiniLopHop wrote:
I havent found them many places the one place it would cost me 40 dollars just for one box of them
For $45 for that little plastic cage, you could get 2 packs of BRAND NEW nic pannels From walmart.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Whitmor-White-Wire-Storage-Cubes-Four-Cubes-Interlocked/5005200

Dont waste your money on the cage, just save it and buy something more practical. $45 is too much to pay for one of those, you can get them used for $20. Why not hold off on getting the rabbit until youre prepared for it.

Watermelons wrote:
Rosalie wrote:
MiniLopHop wrote:
For $45 for that little plastic cage, you could get 2 packs of BRAND NEW nic pannels From walmart.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Whitmor-White-Wire-Storage-Cubes-Four-Cubes-Interlocked/5005200

Dont waste your money on the cage, just save it and buy something more practical. $45 is too much to pay for one of those, you can get them used for $20. Why not hold off on getting the rabbit until youre prepared for it.

i dont want to buy a used one and i cant wait because im going to a show and getting one because i cant find anyone around here who breeds what i want..... i've been looking for several months and this is the last show near me for quite a while

I dont see and larger holes there. Just because 1 or 2 brands got cheap and changed the hole size doesnt mean all 100 something brands changed. Those are still smaller holes.... and it works out much cheaper then that plastic cage. Walmart ships for free to the store so just order them and pick them up at the closest walmart.

Its your money, spend it however you want, regardless that cage is too small and seems like just a waste of $45 when you can put that money into something much much more practical.

yeah but as marisa said it would be nice to have a spare cage to take on overnight trips or if i need someone to bunny sit It will be in the playpen most of the day and as for the nic pannel cages wouldnt they be harder to clean .. unless I went out spent more money and bought a piece of ply wood and tile to put on top of it and if i ever wanted to move it i would have to take it apart .. so it would be more expensive , less convenient and be of no use to me when i built my proper cage which i plan to

Why not save buying a cage for "overnight trips" later? 80% of the members on here that aren't breeders, use NIC cages, dog kennels or just x-pens and dont seem to have problems.
If you have the playpen why are you in a rush to buy a cheap plastic cage like that? Just keep the rabbit in the play pen.
Its too small to use as a cage, and then to say there is the play pen... well just keep the bun in the play pen, save your money.

You made to post to find out if that cage is good enough. It's not. There are plenty of options you could purchase now before december that would be good long term cages.

because he/she could jump out of the playpen if left in there unsupervised, because why wait and buy overnight trip cage later when i can buy it now and she will only have to stay in it at night(unless we go out) and only for a few weeks when my husbands parents come home so we can use their shop and tools to build the bunny condo and he will have some time off after Christmas to help me build it why waste my money on nic pannels and build a cage I wont use ever again when I'd rather have a wood bunny condo (after the few weeks in the smaller cage) that is off the floor and easier on me to clean and take care of

$40 a box is more than double what I pay for pannels. The boxes I get now have 50/50 on the sizes of their squares. I use the small squares on the bottom where they might try to stick their heads through and the larger ones on top that are there just to prevent jumping. I built 2 squares up along walls to protect cords and molding, 3 squares up across the middle of the room to prevent jumping.

I use a throw rug over the floor area to make sure there is no carpet damage, but the buns are very good. I just sweep (yes a broom on carpet, hay will kill your vaccuume) daily to keep the hay tidy and then run a shop vac over the rug once a week. House bunnies are no dirtier than cats in my opinion, other than a little hay smattering.

Personally I do not change their living arrangements while I am away. No one would cage their cat when they go on vacation, so why would you cage your bunny? I also use cat carriers when I need to take them to the vet etc. I am taking the kids to a holiday party over the weekend and I do have a portable playpen for that. It folds up and I take it with us to set up for the evening.

This is my bunnie's set up in my office. Houdini can be a little naughty which is why they have a cage at all. My other two don't need as strict bunny proofing so they have run of the house. They have a bed, litterbox, and dishes in our bedroom, but they are free to go where ever they want 24/7.

083-1.jpg

my husband would lose it if i had a cage like that he is a neat freak but he likes the wood one he and I made for sophie that is 5'x 2 1/2' x 3' that is 2 story and has lots of room plus she plays in her play pen a lot of the time but she aint really the playing type she mostly lays around unless I get in the floor and play with her then she will run around me and grunt and lick my face

Back