size

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know you are looking more for convenience until you can build the bigger condo, but NIC panels would be a cheaper option. You can make it less messy looking and build it to fit the space you have to keep it. If you get them at Walmart or Target, (where I have gotten both sets of mine) they are only $15-$20 tops. I just used an old sheet and a random blanket to add layers to the bottom so they didn't ruin the carpet. If you are worried about the bunny fitting through the bigger holes, put cardboard up to block them. I did that when I got our second rabbit and expanded the cage. She was so tiny she could just walk right through them. Now she tries to hop through them on the top, so I still keep them covered.

Anyways, I promise you, it will be a better investment than that little cage. I bought one for my first rabbit because I was not very educated before I got him. Now, I use that old cage bottom as a little box. :p

15362_111006_090000003.jpg

15362_111006_070000001.jpg

If you still need convincing to use the panels instead, you could always use them as a shelving unit since that's their original purpose anyways. :) Just trying to help encourage you to save money.

I have an NIC cage for Layla. I usually don't like the look of a lot of NIC cages and wasn't happy with my one I had for my rabbits before, but I like the one I built her now.

Like your husband, I tend to like the clean look and don't think I could do an exercise pen as a long term cage. I bought an x-pen and put it around the front of the cage and leave her door open so she has about triple the regular space but when I'm gone/during the night she's in her NIC condo. I do also have a smaller plastic-base cage which she gets to spend the next week in since I'm visiting my grandma for Thanksgiving, but I'm bringing along the x-pen so she has room to run in the garage.

As for NIC cubes, I bought some on Amazon and they did not have the larger holes, annnd came with cool connectors that work well for holding together the cubes along with zip-ties. Hopefully you find a good solution that works for you!

where do you get the ones with the small holes .. im going to show it to my husband but i really dont think he's going to like it i really do appreciate all ya'lls help though we'll see what happens

When I first got Cinder we had a starter cage for her but then she grew too big for it so I bought an extra large dog kennelf or her. Now she has a hutch and a huge outside area to run around my backyard. If it rains or gets too cold she comes inside and stays in the kennel.

Rosalie wrote:
where do you get the ones with the small holes .. im going to show it to my husband but i really dont think he's going to like it i really do appreciate all ya'lls help though we'll see what happens
I sent you the link to walmarts site earlier in this topic and they are the ones with the small holes. As said not all brands switched to the larger holes.

Rosalie wrote:

A few months back I got a pack of them (ended up returning them, as they were the wrong color) and if I remember correctly they were all the small size. ThoughI can verify that the ones from Target includeBOTH gridsizes.

PS- I'd go to a storeand peep in the box just to be sure. :)

It's true, NIC grids are pretty awesome for building bunny stuff. We've built Gus's cage, his play pen, and some bunny proofing out of the NIC grids. However, if you're only planning to house the rabbit for a few weeks, I'd save my money and use the play pen you already have. If you're worried about jumping out, you can always put a sheet over top. And make sure you don't put anything close enough to the edge (like a hide box) for it to use a springboard. We had Gus two years before he learned to jump out of a pen. :p

Hope that helps!

And don't forget to post pics of your new bunny and condo when it's ready!

Rue

lol sophie can jump out with nothing in there that lil bunny can jump super high and its almost 3 feet high but she will only do it if i leave her sight

Latest posts

Back