sick rabbit?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fantaysah

Reaction score
Pepper is holding one of her ears down and seems sad (not running up to me when i go to her, laying around more than usual) she is eating good and her poop is normal looking and solid though wetter than usual because its shiny. We do NOT have an emergency rabbit vet within 2 hours of us so can anyone tell me if holding an ear down is a symptom of anything too serious to wait until tomorrow?

What do you mean by holding her ear down? Like sagging, or completely against the side of her cheek? Could she just be hot? Any other symptoms?

Is she scratching a lot at the ear? Shaking her head? Did you check inside her ear? Willard scratched the inside of his ear with a hay stalk. He held his ear down like that for a bit, wasn't as active but sat and ate hay. But by the next day ear was back up.

And the shiny poo. I've seen that with my rabbits. It seems it looks that way right after they poo normally.

K

One ear is up and the other is straight back like when they are scared (between shoulders) she gobbled her food and is drinking fine but she is not up and about and just seems really tired ... instead of running up when i go near her cage as usual i have to reach in and touch her before she will get up. Had had had been down all day and only the one ear. The vet opens tomorrow id its an ear infection we can treat it just wandering to experienced owners could that be something serious

Yes she scratches her ears a lot the vet said 2 weeks ago that she had dry skin and it was ok. But now im worried.. if she scratches to hard her inactivity is normal?

With Willard the scratch in his ear was painful. Not to where he stopped eating, but where he just kind of settled in his litter box to munch hay.

It could be ear mites and not dry skin. Was the dry skin in just one ear and was it the one your bunny is holding down now?

K

Yes just the one ear. We already had the vet check for mites 2 weeks ago. Always scratched the same ear. So you guys don't think it could be an emergency? Im on edge since the emergency vet is so far away

If she's eating, drinking, pooping and peeing ok, I don't think it would be an emergency. With Willard, I just watched him and knew if it was still laying flat, he would be taken in to see the Vet.

If she was rolling or eyes spinning, which ear mites can start (Kreacher had them and suffered the same symptoms) I'd be in the car ASAP to that Emergency Vet.

I'm nervous too when any of the Tribe is off kilter. Know how you feel.

Please let us know what you find out. Hoping for a quiet night for your bunny.

K

Even though she doesn't look too happy pepper devoured her fresh grass and seems to be drinking more than usual... not sure if that means anything... I am hoping she just scratched it (or the storm going on outside) is her issue and nothing major... fingers crossed and i will update as soon as the vet opens in the morning..

Glad to hear you have it figured out!

Do keep a close eye and be absolutely POSITIVE you've got the infection as with my one bunny we caught it like RIGHT away but it still even though apparently treated later got horrible and tilt and all.

So thrilled you caught it in time.Hopefully the infection is gone in no time. Good eye. You definitely know your bunny.

Also 100% agree with Mia. Make sure infection is completely gone. It can come sneaking back on your bunny.

K

Latest posts

Back