Shy, aggressive rabbits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

labell

Reaction score
Hey people. I've been looking for arabbit fourm since I got a pair of rescue rabbits three weeks ago. Iknow they might still be adjusting, and afraid. But I can't touch them,catch them, hold them, or go in their cage without them freaking out,and the female, Ella, will attack if I go near either ofthem. I love them dearly, but I'm tired of getting bitten,and not being able to interact with my rabbits. Any suggestions on whythey're behaving this way? Any suggestions on what I should do?

My bunny was scared at first too. He would lookat where my hand was when I was petting him or touching stuff in thecage. If I would pet him from the side or where he could not see me, hewould bite me.
Try to just sit near the cage on the floor. I found out that he likesto interact a lot more when I am on his level. And also they get usedto you just being there.

Try not to pick them up if they don't like it. They will learn to trust you.

i try, but when i sit by the cage, Ella, thefemale tears up newspaper and covers the front of the cage so theycan't see me. Plus I can't sit on their level because I got surgery onmy leg four weeks ago and I can't sit on the floor. I've triedeverything I've read on adoption websites and in rabbits books, andeverything the lady I adopted them from said. Twix, the maleis fine on his own, but around Ella, you can't touch either of them.

I don't know what to do about the agressiveness,but both of my bunnies are quite shy. They'd run away anytime I cameclose to the half of the room they were in. I found that spending a lotof time in there room halped them to be me used to me, even if I was onthe other side and they were in their cage. Now, they'll run up fortreats and pats, but only from me.

As for the newpaper hiding scheme, I'd just take the paper out for alittle while when your in the room, (Not for too long, you don't wantmesses.) You don't want to freak them out too much either. I'd start bystaying on the other side of the room while the newspaper was out themmove closer until they feel more comfortable with you there.

~Christine~

I've been wanting to do that....I'm out of schoolfor 2-4 more weeks, and I think I'll take my homework in there and justsit in there while I do it just to keep them company maybe.

yeah I think spending time in a room is the best thing. Is Ella neutered ?

and maybe try to separate them and just try to interact with the boy.Maybe if she sees you two together, she'll want to be involved too.Kinda like jealousy thing.

Ella isn't fixed, but Twix is. Youcan't separate them, Ella will tear everything up throw the litter boxacross the cage. I could try eventually. But she won't evenlet me get to him. She'll bite me. :(

labell,

Welcome to the forum. It sounds like you are having a really hard timegetting to know your buns. That can be really frustrating. Do you knowyour buns history at all? Maybe that could clue you in to why yourfemale is exhibiting such aggressive behavior. I am sure with all theknowledgeable minds here on our forum someone will be able to give yousome more ideas to try! Don't give up, the harder you work forsomething the greater it is once you achieve it :D

Fergi's mom

I know the history of their year longlives. They were bought (separately) as easter bunnies lasteaster, and both of them were let go in the wild after easter by theirowners, and lived on the streets for a couple of months. Theywere rescued about the same time and bonded instantly. She's veryprotective of him. That's their history.

Well then when you think about it you can't notunderstand where she is coming from. What a horrible experience, anyanimal would take a long time to bond with after a life like that.Especially if that was her first contact with humans and they justabandoned her. She is probably agressing you because the only thing sheknows is that she has a "friend" now and she might think you are tryingto seperate her from him. That's what I would think anyways. It soundslike it will just take a lot of time and patience to gain her trust.

Fergi's mom

We plan on getting her fixed, because she'llprolly become more mellow. I'm not a patient person. These are my firstrabbits, and I'm just overwhelmed because I'm sick of waiting aboutthis. I don't know what to do anymore.:(

hello and welcome to the forum, I am new heretoo, and have found it VERY helpful!! I just posted a question about myaggressive bunny too, I think she is in her "teen" years, can't waittil thats over!! Just do what I do, have loads of patienceand repeat "I love my bunny" over and over ;) Seriously Ihope things improve for you!! Tracy

Seriously, the harder you work for something thesweeter it is when you finally get it. That's how it is with bunnies,you have to work for their trust, they are a prey animal and thereforehave very set instincts about any situation they are nervous in. Herreactions are normal, I certainly don't trust everyone I meet rightaway, it takes time to build up a relationship with any animal. Pleasekeep trying, it is so well worth it in the long run :D

Fergi's mom

Yeah, I know about prey animals....I'm a horse person.:)

I will try, but I hate seeing them in distress when I just clean theircage out. Twix and I bonded, or so I thought. We'd take justhim out and he'd sleep with me on the couch. But now he won't even letme touch him. I'm so confused.

I'd haveto agree with Fergi. But, I can sympathize with you. I rescued twobunnies male(Thumper) and female(Ms Sassy) in September. I bought themfrom a breeder close to where I live. He had both bunnies inapproxiamtely 1 foot by 1 foot cage. These arent small bunnies either.They could barely turn around. I didnt see any water dish, and no food.It has taken them until now to let me pet them.Thumper WILL NOT let mepick him up. Ms. Sassy will, but she's hesitant and it takes a lot ofcoaxing. I said all that to say this....I'm sure your bunnies arescared to death of humans. Especially if all theyve learned from us inthe past is betrayal and neglect. I think in time....they will come totrust you. Good luck.

Lanna

My bunny still does not let me pick him up. Ithink he is afraid of heights since he was not let outside a lot as ababy, so he did not jump on furniture.
Sometimes I try to pet him and he just takes of like crazy for no reason. But most of the time he likes me.

I see changes in him all the time, he becomes more comfortable.

WelcomeLabell!???

Everyone has given you such great advice.? :)??

In my experience with Tucker, it took months to?get him to warmup...and then some!? I would literally walk past him because if I?bentdown to?pet him, he'd scoot.? What really helped him to get to know mebetter was at night, I'd always sit?next to his cage and talk to himfor about 10 minutes after lights were out and it was bedtime.?? Hewould hop into his?hide-away box the minute I'd approach the cage whichwas such a bummer.? It's so difficult because they're so darned?cuteand you can't touch them.??I'd open up the door to his cage and justsit there and talk to him.? As days/weeks past, I'd offer him a treatand as he was eating?it, he'd let me pet his head.??For a while, Ididn't think it was going to ever work where he would hop to the doorto greet me, but one day, as I was walking by him, I bent?down to picksomething up that was near him and he didn't bolt.? He actually put hishead on the floor and?with his ears back, presented himself to me topet him.? I gave him?two short pats, and then walked away.? Everythingin moderation at first.??

I hate to tell you but it took about 6-8 months for Tucker to comearound. That's especially long I think. Fauna was butta in my hand in 2days or less.? Tucker's still shy, but he will come to me when I callhim, he comes up to me for pets when feels he needs them, and alwayshops to the front of the cage when I open up the door at?night lookingfor?me to spend that time with him.?

Sometimes when rabbits are bonded as your two are, they seem?moreinterested in each other than people.? Even?if that is?the case, onedoes seem to be more loving than the other.?

It's obvious you love the babies.??Patience, Patience, Patience is whatI've learned?from my charges.??They'll come around, and getting?themfixed will definitely help to mellow them out.?

Hope you don't have any?babies?on the?way anytime soon.? Does canbecome more territorial and aggressive when they're expecting.? ?

There are a lot of posts on this forum about pregnancy.? You might wish to check them out.???

Is My Rabbit Pregnant?http://islandgems.net/palpating.html

-Carolyn

Latest posts

Back