Showing Jr's

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djluster

Reaction score
I know I should know this but how soon can you show a rabbit can you show them right after they are 8 weeks or do you have to wait tell they turn 3 months. The reason I as is I have a litter due in a few weeks and I know there is a show middle or October and my kits will be a few day to a week under 3 months so could I show them or not. I just don't know the official ruling on this as far as when the soonest you can show if there coats are in.

I suggest you join the ARBA and whatever breed specialty group you're planning on focusing on. They have guidebooks and lots of literature on showing that should tell you everything you could want to know about successful showing and raising of rabbits. It's really inexpensive, too, only like $15 or something. I found the ANDRC guidebook to be a gold mine for my Dwarfs, and the ARBA book is great too.

I belong to arba and the a few Dutch groups I just didnt remember what they said about starting to show I thought I remember 3 months but I wasn't sure if the 3 months I's law

I think it is based on the weight of the rabbit before they can start showing. For juniors there is a minimum weight that they have to reach before they can show. For Dutch I don't know what it is at the moment, but it is written in the ARBA Standard of Perfection.

I think for a Dutch it has to reach 4 lbs to show as jr but I don't have my Standard of Perfection in front of me.

For Dutch, to show as a junior, the rabbit must meet a minimum weight of 1 3/4 pounds and be under 6 months. We've shown a number of rabbits who were still in their baby coat. They may not place well, but we show them to get comments on type, etc.

GorbyJobRabbits wrote:
its all about weight... though I'm not sure why there is a minimum weight for the dwarf breeds.
It's like with any other breed. Showing a rabbit that is too young is not good, so weight limits are there to keep babies out of the showroom. Babies that are too young usually do not meet the weight limit anyway.

Latest posts

Back