Should I try to get two unneutered males to be friends?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

belleshadow

Reaction score
I am going to be moving into an apartment away from my parents and I have six rabbits, but I wanted to take two of them with me so that they don't get lonely while I'm gone, and anyway the more rabbits the better right? So I know that I want to keep one of my males because he is very sweet and he is everyone's favorite, but I was deliberating whether to keep another male and try to get them to be friends, or to keep a female and neuter the male. I don't really have the money to neuter the male to be honest, but I was just wondering what you guys think and if anyone has ever managed to get two unneutered males to get along. Thanks.

Bonding two unneutered males doesn’t sound like a good idea. Rabbits will fight over territory and they will fight until blood and in some cases death. It’s best to get them neutered before bonding. The same with females. Bonding an unneutered buck and unspayed doe will result in kits. I’d keep a female and neuter the male, that might make bonding easier.

Just bear in mind that an intact female may be difficult to bond. Spays are quite costly but if you got an already spayed female from a rescue, it would save quite a bit of money and allow you to pre-screen for potential compatibility. In this scenario, after your male is neutered (6 weeks past) you could contact a rescue to set up a time to bring your male to meet some potential spayed females. Rescues typically will work with you to ensure you wind up with a bond. If one girl doesn't work out, you can exchange her for another.

Back