Should I get a second?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elliriyanna

Reaction score
I am getting my first bunny shortly and he will be neutered when he reaches about 6 months ( Partially personal preference). My boyfriend and I have been talking and he said we can get a second if this one doesn't smell ( he is extremely odor sensitive).

The question is ... should we? Is there a downside to getting a second rabbit ... I mean assuming of course that they don't reject each other

A resounding YES! Bunnies are very social and can flourish when they have a life partner. If you do as much research into bonding as you've done before even getting a bunny I'm sure you will have no issues! In my experience guys tend to smell worse than any bunny anyway ;)

well I have 3 months before he gets fixed, thats ... Admittedly less time than I like to have, But still plenty to research bonding.

Luckily I am not new to bonding, being a rat owner its something you have to do.

LOL I tend to not smell my boyfriend :p And with my sinuses, Often times I don't smell much.

Urine odor of intact males is much stronger than that of neutered rabbits, so don't let your bf judge the odor of your rabbit until after he's fixed. ;)

Once your boy (bunny, that is) is neutered, allow 8 weeks before having him bunny date some other fixed rabbits. That way you get to pre-screen the rabbits for potential compatibility. It will be up to your bunny to do the choosing.

Some bonds go easily, others are more difficult, some are v e r y difficult, and sometimes they just don't work. That is why it is best to go through a rescue to choose another fixed rabbit. They work with you to ensure that you wind up with a true bond. Getting a rabbit through any other means runs the risk that they won't bond.

We have rats too, but rabbit bonds can be far more complex. But, knowing you, you will exhaust your research on bonding beforehand and will be well prepared. ;)

Unfortunately ... I can't have him choose. The other rabbits won't be neutered or spayed. All the rabbits would be from craigslist or breeders. There is one rescue and I have contacted them but you can not meet before you adopt, I am not ok with this.

I would LOVE to have a rescue to go to and let him pick out his companion.

Yeah I figured rats and rabbits were different but hey its some experience.

I will definitely be researching a lot if we decide we want a second.

I would agree with the above and say since you're not going through a rescue than whatever second bunny you get make sure you have the supplies and resources for a second living space just in case

well I found a second rescue that has rabbits but they said sometimes they spay/neuter sometimes they don't. So I will have to contact them if /when we are ready.

I would go for it ( and I did w/ mine also ).

they are some character(s) w/ one another.

esp. when it comes to grooming ( a lot of licking of the fur involved )

It sounds like you are finding shelters that happen to have rabbits. Have you searched for actual "rabbit rescues?" I've never heard of a rabbit rescue not allowing bunny dates, nor have I heard of ones that do not neuter before adopting out (or getting a signed guarantee that new owner will fix the rabbit).

If you don't mind listing what state you are in (assuming it is the US), then I'm sure someone on here would know of a rabbit rescue.

The one is mostly focused on rabbits but since they don't have a shelter they are foster based you can't meet the rabbits, The other is a farm rescue that also takes rabbits and they sound much more willing to let him meet the rabbits. They said they do not alter older rabbits due to the risks. But thats ok, I would be looking for one near his age.

Sorry I don't tell my location, Its just a privacy thing.

Also since I do not drive ( my boyfriend does, my pets never go without due to this and getting to the vet is no issue) they have to be pretty local.

NO

Why?
I have an odour sensitive fellow. One is good.. twice is like three times the smell.... UNLESS you are totally on top of things.

One rabbit can live quite nicely on it's own with it's people. It has it's own territory. You don't have to go through the hassle of trying to bond them (and dealing with the fall out if it doesn't work).

NO

Why?
I have an odour sensitive fellow. One is good.. twice is like three times the smell.... UNLESS you are totally on top of things.

One rabbit can live quite nicely on it's own with it's people. It has it's own territory. You don't have to go through the hassle of trying to bond them (and dealing with the fall out if it doesn't work).

What do you consider totally on top of things? Litter will be changed daily ( which is why I do not plan on standard disposable litters) and his tile and flooring will be wiped down daily as well.

Sorry I don't tell my location, Its just a privacy thing.

I wasn't asking for an address. No one would have a clue who you are or where you are with just a state listing. But, to each his own.

Try here:
http://rabbit.rescueshelter.com/

Usually the rabbit rescues are at the bottom of the list, once you click on a state.

Keep in mind that there is a possibility that cleaning a litter box too often will actually discourage bunny from going there. They like to go where their scent is. (at least a scent that a bunny can smell)

I only change mine twice per week. The bunnies smell it, but us humans can't smell a thing.

I wasn't asking for an address. No one would have a clue who you are or where you are with just a state listing. But, to each his own.

Try here:
http://rabbit.rescueshelter.com/

Usually the rabbit rescues are at the bottom of the list, once you click on a state.

The two they have listed that are in my area I have contacted, neither are rabbit specific rescues.

well actually there are 3 ... And I have contacted all 3 I just didnt mention the other because they never got back to me. But none of them are rabbit specific.

I don't know if you've looked at the house rabbit society website but they have some great articles especially about bonding. What really spoke to me was reading that the vast majority of rabbits crave the companionship of at least one of their kind. It makes sense too. Yes a rabbit may be content living with two humans, or a cat, or whatever, but wouldn't Bunny be happiest living with someone they can communicate with? Now that I've lived with pairs I can honestly tell you I will never have just a single rabbit again.

I have a question: The rabbit that you have already is a boy or a girl?

well I don't have my bunny yet but its a male, but he will be neutered and we will let his hormones come down before we start looking for a second.

Um ... I have my own experience and let me share it with you.

I had the same dilemma for a year whether or not I should get a playmate for my Perry (2.5-year, lionhead, neutered male). 5 weeks ago I took the plunge and I got my Perry bonded with Lucy (1.5-year, Rex standard, spayed female). I have to tell you, this is not easy. The bonding takes for a long time and quite honestly I'm getting discouraged by it. Yes, it's cute when Lucy grooms Perry and when they share food and lay next to each other. But, Lucy turned out to be a pushy little bunny girl. She chases my Perry around, she pulls fur from him and when they have too much space, she flat out claims certain areas to herself and makes it into a habit of chasing Perry away like it's a sport. I don't like it. They keep telling me to keep putting them back in a small playpen to reconfirm their bonding. How long is this going to go on? It's been 5 weeks and just this morning Lucy chased Perry around even in the small playpen. Are they fighting or playing? I can't tell, but since the fur is flying I'm not liking it one bit.

It is much easier and less stressful to have one bunny. That is a fact.

I have been through so many bondings ( not rabbit bondings but still) In our house the rule typically is no blood no foul let them work out their differences. This sounds bad but generally as long as noone is actually getting hurt the other doesn't have an intent to harm its all dominance and establishing what they need to. Of course this is only as long as they are acting normal if someone is getting overly stressed, off food etc its a problem.

The first bonding you go through the the worst I promise, it will get better.

Latest posts

Back