Sherlock will ONLY eat the colorful bits!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael O'Connell

Reaction score
Over the Fourth of July holiday a loose acquaintance messaged us asking if we could take-in their bunny (knowing that we had one who we love with ALL our hearts). I was NOT in a place to take on another pet, but as we were continuing on our drive I started visualizing them releasing him into the wild, euthanizing her or who knows what.
So I caved(which the wife be I would, because Watson is literally my BEST FRIEND) and we immediately went to get ‘her’. If you’re paying attention I’ve referred to Sherlock as both male and female because they told us they had a female bunny for 2 years but had to move and couldn’t take her. Anyway we get there and immediately saw he was male, which made little to no difference to us because we were getting him fixed immediately.

To the point: They were feeding him ‘Brown’s Tropical Carnival’ pellets that have the colorful pieces in it. Turns out he will ONLY eat all the pieces, none of the actual pellets out of the mix. And I’m afraid to just switch to something without those colorful bits. They told us he didn’t eat hay but that turned out not to be the whole case. (The hay they sent with him was so old it was basically dust!) He doesn’t eat as much as he should but he does eat hay.

I just don’t know what to do. We give him lots of fresh herbs and greens. Some fresh fruit as a treat, here and there. But his main diet still consists of those darn colorful bits.
What do I do to get him off of those without just abruptly stopping them altogether? Or should I just stop giving him the pellets? Will he naturally turn to the hay? Should I give more greens?
Remember, He Eats Zero Pellets…

Thank you, so much, for any advice. Not only from me (Michael) but Sherlock and his new bestie Watson (our original bun-bun)

There's probably little nutritional value in his current food, so to be honest I'd switch to another, better quality hay based pellet.
Pellets are a very small part of a rabbit's diet anyway, so I'd focus on getting him to eat loads of quality grass hay 😊

If he's eating hay, herbs and greens, then there should be no problem taking him off the junk feed at one time. Normally, one would transition from one type of pellets to another by mixing them over a period of a week or two. But since he isn't eating any of the pellets in the mix, then there should be no problem just stopping them altogether.

Provide plenty of hay (refreshed daily) and continue the herbs and greens. Let him get the idea that he is not getting any more of the Carnival mix. I'd stop the fruit and treats totally for now also so he isn't 'waiting' for the "sweet stuff.' After a week of just hay, herbs, and greens, offer some of the healthy pellets (assuming that's what you have for your other rabbit). If you stick with it and don't offer anything sweet (no treats, no fruit), he should start eating the pellets.

We use Timothy pellets but only give a small amount. I use orchard grass as I'm allergic to Timothy hay--ours eat so much I had to put 2 hay racks in their hutches. I'd ditch the other pellets and just go with abetter type without all the bits the bunny doesn't need. Our vet said they can do fine with unlimited hay and veggies, with no pellets at all--we give 2 tablespoons of pellet in the morning so they get a little variety.

They were feeding him ‘Brown’s Tropical Carnival’ pellets that have the colorful pieces in it. Turns out he will ONLY eat all the pieces, none of the actual pellets out of the mix. And I’m afraid to just switch to something without those colorful bits.

It's no different than a kid picking the sugary pieces out of otherwise bland breakfast cereal. We all want the tasty stuff, animal & human alike!

Personally, I would swap out the mixed food with regular pellets and not worry about transitioning the change slowly. He'll eventually start eating the pellets once the candy bits are no longer available to pick out.

Back