Setting up for new continental giant

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello! I found out the other day that the breeder I’ve been communicating with has a Conti buck available and he’s going to be mine! I’m so excited to welcome him home.

Just a few questions for those with Conti experience about how to set up his outdoor hutch and run. The plan is to allow him to free range in the barnyard and bunny proofed patio during the day when it’s nice out and lock him into the run and hutch otherwise. I have bricks with which to line the run floor to prevent mud. I could also use wire to create a floor to get him off the ground altogether. Which is better?

As far as the hutch goes, there are a few choices. Two of them are separate, freestanding chicken coops that could easily be tweaked for a rabbit. They are both a good size approximately 3x4’. Solid floor or wire floor?

Third is the barn. His hutch could be inside the barn aisle with his run attached. It’s approximately 4x8x4’ with a wire roof that will be covered with a proper roof.

Am I missing anything? Any suggestions appreciated! I want him to be happy and content here. Thanks!

Congrats!
Bricks work just fine for a flooring especially since he'll have a hutch too that has, presumably, wood flooring. Having different flooring types is a good thing. They can choose what they want to lay upon as the mood strikes.

Trying to picture your options. Not sure what you mean by the barn aisle. Is it not inside a covered barn? (wondering because you mentioned that the wire roof of the hutch would be covered with a proper roof). If you could take photos of what you're considering, that would help us make suggestions better.

Also, is this going to be one rabbit that is going to be housed outdoors by himself?

Congrats!
Bricks work just fine for a flooring especially since he'll have a hutch too that has, presumably, wood flooring. Having different flooring types is a good thing. They can choose what they want to lay upon as the mood strikes.

Trying to picture your options. Not sure what you mean by the barn aisle. Is it not inside a covered barn? (wondering because you mentioned that the wire roof of the hutch would be covered with a proper roof). If you could take photos of what you're considering, that would help us make suggestions better.

Also, is this going to be one rabbit that is going to be housed outdoors by himself?
Thank you for your help! I will get some photos ASAP but in the meantime I’ll try to explain it a little better.
Definitely agree that bricks are the best solution for the run just to avoid any drainage issues on grass for the long term. The interior of his hutch will be solid wood flooring with bedding. Right now the run is in pieces but it’s got a wire, rounded top that I will be putting a roof on top of.

I have another rabbit hutch for two that will be beside the Conti buck’s that will house my Mini Lop and Lionhead bucks as companions. He won’t be alone out there. It’s a nice shady and sheltered spot off the barnyard.

The barn aisle I mentioned is our horse barn and I have room for rabbits on the long side. Am I better off keeping their hutches outside or in the aisle against the wall with access to their outdoor runs through the wall? Hopefully that makes sense!

In the aisle against the wall with access to their runs sounds like it would be a better option, sheltered from weather & eyes of predators.

So you already have a bonded pair- the lop & lionhead? Are all 3 males?

In the aisle against the wall with access to their runs sounds like it would be a better option, sheltered from weather & eyes of predators.

So you already have a bonded pair- the lop & lionhead? Are all 3 males?
They are both bucks but they are not bonded. Their accommodations are separate but under the same roof. They are both rescued bunnies and neither of them liked being inside the house. I wanted them to be indoors but both are several years old and set in their ways. They are both happy with their current situation and are getting plenty of attention and play time too.

Is it possible to keep the Conti in the house part time?

Is it possible to keep the Conti in the house part time?
In climates that don't have much variance, that can work. But not in NY weather. Rabbits can't easily regulate their body temp. So it's not recommended to, say, bring them inside during the day & put them outside for night-- except perhaps in some of Spring or Fall...when the indoor & outdoor temps are similar.
It would be possible to keep him indoors throughout winter (day & night) & then have him outdoors once temperatures warm up. But you can't do the opposite. If a rabbit is going to be outdoors in winter, then he needs to be outside all year long so his body knows to adjust (grow thicker coat) to prepare for cold temps.

In climates that don't have much variance, that can work. But not in NY weather. Rabbits can't easily regulate their body temp. So it's not recommended to, say, bring them inside during the day & put them outside for night-- except perhaps in some of Spring or Fall...when the indoor & outdoor temps are similar.
It would be possible to keep him indoors throughout winter (day & night) & then have him outdoors once temperatures warm up. But you can't do the opposite. If a rabbit is going to be outdoors in winter, then he needs to be outside all year long so his body knows to adjust (grow thicker coat) to prepare for cold temps.
This makes sense. My guess is that he’ll be happier outside with the other bucks rather than inside the house. Definitely considering the barn aisle idea with outdoor runs. It will take a little work but no predators is a good thing!
I appreciate your advice Blue eyes! Thank you!

Latest posts

Back