Seeking advice w/bonding & Introduction

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scoutshouse

Reaction score
In June, my fiancee and I adopted Scout. He is a very happy 7 month old Dutch bunny. Lately we thought he may be getting a little lonely and bored with his toys and our company, so we decided to investigate getting him a girlfriend. After much research online, studying their behaviors, we found and decided to adopt a beautiful doe who we named Hera. Her age is unknown, but she weighs about two pounds more than he does. Both Scout and Hera are altered (and completely phased out of their pre-altering hormones). We adopted Hera about a week ago and we love her.

Now we are putting our knowledge to the test. The first day we brought her home, they had no contact (sight or smell). We just wanted her to get adjusted. The next evening we re-arranged the room and put their cages side by side with about a foot gap. They both pretty much ignored each other although seemed to mirror what the other was doing.

Since then, we let one at a time out and about the room with plexiglass blocking the front of the other cage so nobody gets hurt, because we had tried allowing them to smell each other through the cage, and had one minor incident (no wounds) with her biting his nose as he stuck it through to smell her. It did not cause him to fear her, as he went right back up to the cage to smell her again. We have learned through our research that females tend to be territorial and dominating, and the behavior seemed to support that idea since he was sticking his nose into "her" cage. It did not seem like she was actually angry or like they wanted to fight. They still regularly do things in front of each other while each ignoring the other, such as eating, grooming, and even flopping; still separated by the cage wall, and still being rotated with which one is in the cage and which one is roaming freely.

We also have been daily alternating them between cages to help dissipate any sense of entitlement to territory that either bunny has regarding "their" cage. They both seem to be adjusting to that idea, and actually seem to care hardly at all about the other's presence, mostly. They often will flop or sit next to each other, just separated by the plexi/cage...not interacting, but staying near each other.

We have not observed any thumping, grunting, circling (although they haven't had that opportunity), or other indications of aggression. They are both litter trained but upon the beginning of this introduction process, they have been abandoning the litterbox some of the time - we figure this must also be a phase related to this process.

We have no intention of rushing the process, but we are eager to have them meet face-to-face; however, we are terrified that if it goes badly, we will have two upset bunnies who will be set back in the process, if not completely ruined. We are seeking any advice or thoughts from people who have successfully completed this process before and know what works.

Also, more specifically, we are still learning to read and interpret their body language, so what should we be looking for during this first meeting that we can immediately identify as positive, negative, or something that definitely means they need to be separated?

I just did this with my buns, although they had a chance to "date" before I decided to bond them.

Things that are normal:

Circling to some extent. My buns ran around in circles trying to hump each other to determine dominance, I separated them after 30 seconds or so.

Nipping. This is completely normal. Cheeto would "bow down" to Millie to demand to be groomed, and she would nip him like "No way, you groom me!" Eventually they figured who was top bun (although I never witnessed it, they live harmoniously).

Ignoring each other: It's a good sign.

Humping: Let them do it! If the rabbit being "loved on ;)" is extremely terrified, separate them only if you feel it's been too long. This is important to decide who is top bun! If that rabbit starts biting the other, I would separate them; sometimes they get bitten in spots that are hard for you to check after.

Marking. Oh my gosh the pee and poop was awful. I literally bought a shower liner to lay on my carpet! Eventually it stopped.

Another thing to note: If one rabbit looks like they are biting the others' back, it might be a sign they are trying to mount. Both of mine did that and I kept separating them until I realized what they were trying to do.

Things that are NOT normal:

Attacking: if one bun lunges at the other and seems vicious, you need to separate them immediately. Mine didn't do this, but I had a feeling I would know if it happened. Just follow your gut on this one.

Lunging

Grunting

^^Both of those might be a sign of attack. Just watch closely and be ready to separate them.

Other things:
Thumping: thumping gets its own category because it can mean good or bad. My buns thumped like crazy! I was told that if they were thumping it meant they were feeling aggressive. I think it can also mean "pay attention to me" or "Hey there's another bun here!" things like that.

All in all you have to trust your instincts. If you feel like a fight is coming on, it's better safe than sorry. Just keep in mind that if they aren't tearing each other apart, they have a pretty good chance at being bonded. GO SLOW!! I wanted to rush the process so bad, but I'm glad I didn't. I put them together for more and more time a day (about an hour everyday) until I thought it was safe to have them stay the night together. Now, they are completely bonded. It took about a week for me, but from what I hear that's pretty fast.

Good luck, hope I helped!

Here's a site I found most helpful with bonding:

http://www.cottontails-rescue.org.uk/matchups.asp

I've even emailed the person who put the site together.

I did much the same as you did while looking for a boy for my girl. Unfortunately the cage switching and separate run times, etc didn't work for those 2. I ended up having to trade the boy for another (from a rescue). Apparently introducing the girl to the established boy is easier than vice versa.

Based on what I went though, I would highly recommend (if you hadn't already planned this) to do any face-to-face introductions in territory that neither of them have been in. So far, it appears you are seeing positive signs. It might not be a bad idea to have an oven mitt ready in case you need to separate them.

The site above discusses the fast track and the slow track method. So far, it sounds like you are doing what she refers to as the slow track. I particularly like that she has videos showing bunny intros that go well, go not so well and even one that goes bad. These I found to be very informative.

Figured I would give an update scout and Hera are both now living together in harmony. We did multiple dates the first one was short then we kept extending them over the course of the week now they are always doing everything together. We are very pleased that it has all gone well! Wanted to thank everyone here for there information. thanks

Back