SCENT glands need cleaning NOW

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mouse_chalk wrote:
Jen, they're either side of the bunny's.....bits. LOL! You basically look either side, and if you gently pull apart the skin there, you'll find a little 'pocket', be careful because the skin around there is very delicate, but if there's any sort of yellowy/browny/black looking gunk in there, that's what needs cleaning out.

Does that give you a good idea of where they are? You can see his big feet sticking up either side, if that helps at all.... Right near the bottom basically lol :)
Do I understand correctly that females also sometimes require scent-gland cleaning?

I'm not even certain that my girls would allow me to peek there. :shock:I expect that they'd put up quite a struggle in my hubby's arms if I tried. But I supposed that I ought look soon to see if: 1) I can even find them and 2) if they require cleaning.

Does the photo you've posted show a bun that needs to have his scent glands cleaned? You mentioned "...browny/black...gunk," and in the pic, I seesome brownish-looking materialin the "pocket" area.

Jenk wrote:
mouse_chalk wrote:
Jen, they're either side of the bunny's.....bits. LOL! You basically look either side, and if you gently pull apart the skin there, you'll find a little 'pocket', be careful because the skin around there is very delicate, but if there's any sort of yellowy/browny/black looking gunk in there, that's what needs cleaning out.

Does that give you a good idea of where they are? You can see his big feet sticking up either side, if that helps at all.... Right near the bottom basically lol :)
Do I understand correctly that females also sometimes require scent-gland cleaning?

I'm not even certain that my girls would allow me to peek there. :shock:I expect that they'd put up quite a struggle in my hubby's arms if I tried. But I supposed that I ought look soon to see if: 1) I can even find them and 2) if they require cleaning.

Does the photo you've posted show a bun that needs to have his scent glands cleaned? You mentioned "...browny/black...gunk," and in the pic, I seesome brownish-looking materialin the "pocket" area.
Yep, females need cleaning as well.... I did all 4 of my buns earlier (3 girls and one boy) and Mouse and Chalk's weren't too bad, but Snowy's (girl) were pretty gunky overall, in a 6 month build up. Not all bunnies need doing that often, but it's worth checking every once in a while. I usually wrap them in a towel, lay them across my lap and hold them still with one arm, while I use the other to look at the scent glands, whilst sort of reaching with the other hand to help clean them, if that makes sense!

The pic shows Barney before I cleaned him earlier... that was a 6 month build up. A bit later I'll take a pic of a clean bun's scent glands if you like, to show you what they look like clean, and how I hold them still! :)

About every three months, I take Bob and Zeus to be groomed (bathed and nails). I know that they don't need a bath, but it helps with my allergies.

MaryAnne (the groomer) has some experience with bunnies and when she washes them, she makes sure she gets their bunnybutts.

My question is this: would this also clean the scent glands? It sounds like you need to really make an effort to get it done. If the bath won't do it, then I'm going to have her help me look for the glands next time.

fancybutterfly wrote:
About every three months, I take Bob and Zeus to be groomed (bathed and nails). I know that they don't need a bath, but it helps with my allergies.

MaryAnne (the groomer) has some experience with bunnies and when she washes them, she makes sure she gets their bunnybutts.

My question is this: would this also clean the scent glands? It sounds like you need to really make an effort to get it done. If the bath won't do it, then I'm going to have her help me look for the glands next time.
If it's just a regular bath, then no, that wouldn't clean them. To get to them, you have to hold the skin apart gently with your fingers, so you have to specifically go after that area to clean them. You can see in the picture above how I'm holding the fur and skin apart?

Also, the 'pockets' of skin don't automatically open up, or I find that they don't anyway, I use a cotton bud soaked in a little bit of baby oil to gently open them up and wiggle the gunk out. The key is to be very gentle, as the skin there is really delicate, and I can imagine it can be a bit uncomfortable for them. I'm sure I wouldn't want someone poking round there with a cotton bud on me lol!! :p

Gosh! I too had no idea bunners needed to have scent glands cleaned!! And i've read a bunch of bunny books :p. Sheesh. I guess I really lucked out because little Max has never been dirty down ther ever and he's now 3 1/2. I wonder if it is size/breed related? Max's little bits are SO teeny tiny (sorry buddy, but they are! lol) It'd be hard to clean if I did see anything :p.

This is with boys ANd girls? Gosh..

Yes, those are gorgeous pics....lol...can't say gorgeous but definitely descriptive..yes thats a better word!

As for bunny books, they are so diverse in their understandings of proper bunny care and that what RO is for, filling in the gaps, changing long held misconceptions, helping out anyone form novice to expert to learn about the never ending wonderful story of the care of rabbits.

AngelnSnuffy wrote:
Jen, those pics you got are awesome! Thank you for getting them! I'm thinking those belong in our Library! Good Job!:great:
Yay, thanks Crystal, I'm just glad to help lol! I think Barney's feeling a bit violated that his dirty bits are all over the internet though LOL :roflmao:

I'll still try and get a picture later of a clean bun later, and hopefully show the location of them better.... :)

How do you actually clean their scent glands and where are they? I know they're "down there" somewhere, but exactly where? I've never learned where they are, because books don't say, and know one's ever taught me or explained it too me.

Emily

BlueSkyAcresRabbitry wrote:
How do you actually clean their scent glands and where are they? I know they're "down there" somewhere, but exactly where? I've never learned where they are, because books don't say, and know one's ever taught me or explained it too me.

Emily
Just uploading some pics now, so shall show you in detail soon!

Ok, here we go....

Firstly, bunny butt! Jut to give you a rough idea of where the scent glands are located!!

(This is all Snowy by the way, so you have her to thank)

1219004802.jpg

Put 2 fingers either side of their.... 'bits' for want of a better word lol!

1219005089.jpg

Close up of that:

1219005416.jpg

See where that grey area is just between my 2 fingers? That's the scent gland. You basically pull the skin apart there very gently.... I use a cotton swab dipped in baby oil, it helps the skin to part more easily. You want to be really careful not to be rough at all round here, as the skin is soo delicate, and obviously it will be uncomfortable for the bun! So be very careful in pulling the skin apart.

The pic above shows the scent gland opened up a bit. This one is pretty clean, as I did them all yesterday! You basically wipe in the scent gland with the cotton swab to remove the gunk. I have a few on hand ready soaked, and I probably tend to use 2 maybe per side? Just to make sure it's all gone...

A few more pics:

1219006472.jpg

The other side:

1219006692.jpg

1219007038.jpg

I hope that helps!

Also, Miss Snowy says please excuse her mucky feet- she's a messy bunny! She says she wasn't prepared for having the bottoms of her feet and her bum plastered all over the internet LOL :p

Latest posts

Back