SCENT glands need cleaning NOW

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ofelia

Reaction score
Oh man, I feel awful, I have been putting off cleaning Timmy's scent glands for 2 weeks!!!!!!!!!!

Thats when I noticed there was a kind of musky yucky smell about her, as the days went past the smell got worse and today I did not even pet her much because she stinks and its up to me to prove I am girl enough to get the job done....

:vomit:

I decided to write this thread so that it kind of forces me to do it tomorrow, because I AM a good bun Mum who is basically saying "Timmy is not important enough". Is that how I really feel?

I am bun mad, would go to all sorts of lengths for my buns and now this!!

So no more excuses, if I don't return to say I have done it, please feel free to post stern encouragement ;)

Ofelia wrote:
So no more excuses, if I don't return to say I have done it, please feel free to post stern encouragement ;)
If you haven't yet done it, and are back, sign out now and go do it!!:cop: (If not, you'll automatically be signed out in 2 minutes and not allowed to return until you have completed the task at hand.):p Best of luck and wear a gas mask!:yuck:D

OMG I haven't done did, oh no, its time....

I am going to do this.....

drat, I just ate custard, okay okay okay....

off I go....

rescue me, someone? anyone?

Oh man, I have been SO BUSY lately.

But I did clean my beautiful, cuddly gorgeous Timara (Timmy). Yes it was disgusting but not too bad as she had made an attempt to do some cleaning herself!
I was done in five minutes, used slightly warm ear buds and with gentle precision, got the job done. She also got a little warm dip around her bottom too and a rub down just to fluff up her fur again and get rid of any tiny developing matted hair blobs.

Timmy is free range now, coming when I call her!!!! I know!! She roams around during the day when I am home and on alert and then she gets buddled up for the freezing nights in the garage in a warm place. She loves her food and I will put up a pic asap.

[align=center]:bunnydance::inlove:I love Timmy:inlove::bunnydance:
[/align]

Don't you love it free range??? I can just sit and watch my buns hop around all day!!!

But, back to me original thought....I didn't know the scent glands had to be cleaned...:shock:!!!!!!!!

Bob and Zeus aren't stinky. And every 8-10 weeks, I take them to a groomer to get a bath (I know buns don't need this, but it helps with my allergies) and to get their nails trimmed. I'm thinking that would suffice (withthe glands)? The groomer is an experienced buuny person. And I get to stay and help!

Fancybutterfly, not all bunnies need their scent glands cleaned . If there is no skunky odor, then you are one of the lucky ones. I have never had to clean Sparky and Scooters in the four years they have been with me. I do have a foster right now that needs his cleaned. He was recently neutered, so I am waiting awhile before messing around down there (interpretation: I am putting this off as long as possible).

purplepeacock wrote:
at what age do you find out if your bunny has stinky scent glands. Liffey is 4 months but she doesn't smell yet.
I'm not sure that there's a specific age that they need doing from, but Mouse and Chalk have only had theirs done once and that was when they were.... 7 months old? They didn't smell either, just looked a bit gunky, and I didn't want to leave it that way...

I took a peek at Barney and Snowy's bits today, and they need cleaning out again! :cry1:

I've said that it's not all that bad, but now all of a sudden when it comes round for me to do it I've gone all squeamish again lol! :p Luckily they don't smell at all yet, but they do look quite gunky, and I don't like to leave them like that. I always worry about any possible infection and stuff, and it's well worth 5 stinky minutes to keep a healthy bunny! :)

ohhhhhhh.....now i get where the scent glands are.....lol....hmmmm maybe if i get liffey spayed it won't get gunky??? i don't remember mr. snowwhite (my bun that died 6 years ago) ever having that problem. well i'll have to keep an eye open for this gunk.

purplepeacock wrote:
ohhhhhhh.....now i get where the scent glands are.....lol....hmmmm maybe if i get liffey spayed it won't get gunky??? i don't remember mr. snowwhite (my bun that died 6 years ago) ever having that problem. well i'll have to keep an eye open for this gunk.
I've heard that it is better after spaying and neutering, but all 4 of my buns are spayed/neutered, and they still need doing from time to time.... So, sorry, you don't get out of it that easily I'm afraid! :p

I was looking around here for an article in the scent glands and how to determine (besides odor) if they need cleaning. Also, how to clean them. If any one knows where I can locate one, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,

Marybeth

fancybutterfly wrote:
I was looking around here for an article in the scent glands and how to determine (besides odor) if they need cleaning. Also, how to clean them. If any one knows where I can locate one, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,

Marybeth
Here is the link to the library info on scent glands, which gives info on how to clean, what to do, and some threads, and one of them has pics....

Scent glands

And the thread with a pic:

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=29605&forum_id=16

:D

Ok, I am facing some seriously angry bunny butt now lol, but I just did Barney's scent glands, and got some pics that might help people.

They really did need doing it turns out, and it's a stinkier job than I remember lol! :shock:

It's a little blurry, due to trying to hold big bunny and a camera still, but here you go:

1218897698.jpg

You can see where all the darker brown stuff is? that's the gunk... Now that I've cleaned them, all that is gone.

1218897858.jpg

1218898020.jpg

Hope those help!! Sorry if they're a bit gross for anyone.. :)

slavetoabunny wrote:
Fancybutterfly, not all bunnies need their scent glands cleaned . If there is no skunky odor, then you are one of the lucky ones.
Okay, I must admit ignorance about the scent-gland issue. I used to think that it was a male bunny issue; but I guess that theory's out the window.

How might you know (besides smell) if a bun needs to have scent glands cleaned? Heck, where are they even located? :shock::? (I could assume, but you know where assumptions get you.)

Jenk

Jenk wrote:
slavetoabunny wrote:
Fancybutterfly, not all bunnies need their scent glands cleaned . If there is no skunky odor, then you are one of the lucky ones.
Okay, I must admit ignorance about the scent-gland issue. I used to think that it was a male bunny issue; but I guess that theory's out the window.

How might you know (besides smell) if a bun needs to have scent glands cleaned? Heck, where are they even located? :shock::? (I could assume, but you know where assumptions get you.)

Jenk
Jen, they're either side of the bunny's.....bits. LOL! You basically look either side, and if you gently pull apart the skin there, you'll find a little 'pocket', be careful because the skin around there is very delicate, but if there's any sort of yellowy/browny/black looking gunk in there, that's what needs cleaning out.

If you look at the pics I posted above:

moz-screenshot-1.jpg
boing
boing
1218898020.jpg

Does that give you a good idea of where they are? You can see his big feet sticking up either side, if that helps at all.... Right near the bottom basically lol :):p

Latest posts

Back