Scary.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erins Rabbits

Reaction score
HSUS Agenda for Animals Officially Targeting the Hobby Breeder

Unless you want to become a nation of tofu burgers on the grill on the 4th of July, unless you DO NOT want a choice as to where your next purebred dog comes from...it is way past time to wake up and JOIN THE CRUSADE.

The following 12 Step plan was published in 1987, when the concept of Animal Rights was as foreign as f uzz on a frog's ***. Look at this list VERY CAREFULLY. ( Over the coming weeks, The Endangered Owner will look at each of these steps individually, so check back.)

Each and every item on that list is currently being pushed to the forefront by PETA and the HSUS. And for all of you pet owners out there that STILL do not believe the Animal Rightists want to end ALL PET BREEDING, read item number 10. They have paid off just enough members of Congress that they think they now have the ability to get HR 699 passed and that will only be the beginning.

From “Politics of Animal Liberation”

by Kim Bartlett,

published in ANIMAL AGENDA, November 1987

1. Abolish by law all animal research

2. Outlaw the use of animals for cosmetic and product testing, classroom demonstration and in weapons development

3. Vegetarian meals should be made available at all public institutions, including schools

4. Eliminate all animal agriculture

5. No herbicides, pesticides or other agricultural chemicals. Outlaw predator control.

6. Transfer enforcement of animal welfare legislation away from the Department of Agriculture
7. Eliminate fur ranching and the use of furs.

8. Prohibit hunting, trapping and fishing.

9. End the international trade in wildlife goods

10. Stop any further breeding of companion animals, including purebred dogs and cats. Spaying and neutering should be subsidized by state and municipal governments. Abolish commerce in animals for the pet trade.

11. End the use of animals in entertainment and sports.

12. Prohibit the genetic manipulation of species.

NOTE: This was written in 1987, long before genetic engineering and cloning. In this context, “genetic manipulation” means selective breeding”
^ taken from a post on the Showbunny mailing list

I personally find it rather scary that even 20 years agothey were trying to eliminate us.

A lot of those things listed, well I wouldn't mind if they were no longer around. :purpletongue However, I don't see a problem with good, reputable, and ethical breeders. I'm surprised to see the HSUS's name thrown around in there, I never viewed them as Animal Rights Activists. I always believed they were more Animal Welfare orientated.

I think we'd all be much better off if we could just get along. Like in this forum- one thing unites us and that's the fact that we all love rabbits, even if it is for different reasons, or the rabbits serve different purposes. If some breeders would maybe step up and volunteer like has happened w/i the dog world perhaps things would be better off- for example- if the ARBA and HRS would team up they could be an AMAZING superpower within the rabbit world.

That's besides the point though- it just frustrates me that there is a whole group of people who want to eliminate what is a great hobby for many, including myself.

I saw this yesterday on another forum. My thoughts:

1. Animal research saves lives...not only in humans, but in ANIMALS as well. Those who are against animal research are simply not educated enough. I'm not saying that we should be sticking poles through monkey's heads and strapping them to tables (common pictures that circulate the net). But real, reliable testing saves lives.

2. Ok, cosmetic testing...that could definitely go out. If we NEED to test make-up on animals to use it, I don't really need make-up to survive. It's just unnecessary.

3. I'm not against making vegetarian meals available, if this is what an institution chooses to do. However, I do not feel that it is anyone's responsibility to make them available. If a person doesn't like what they're serving, go somewhere else or bring a lunch. No one else needs to go out of their way for you.

4. I find this hilarious. Eliminate U.S. agriculture, and this country has nothing.

5. Mmhmm...outlaw predator control. Another fantastically horrible idea.

6. Yes, and let's give it to PETA. Hah!

7. Elimination of furs is ok with me. We now how a lot of synthetics that we didn't before.

8. I have mixed opinions on this one. I don't think hunting and fishing is cruel or anything...but at the same time...I'm not into it.

9. Ending international trade...always a good idea. This will be another reason for the downfall of our country.

10. Actually, how about if spay and neuter people so that ignorant pet owners don't let their animals breed indiscriminantly, giving reputable breeders a bad name.

11. Nope, sorry. My favorite pasttime is horseback riding.

12. Oh yay! Another reason to ruin U.S. agriculture and kill the country. Yippee!

In short...NOT exactly good ideas.:disgust:

well i love my horseback riding and my horses and bunnies, but I'm also an avid hunter. By hunting we help control the population of the wild animals and we as humans are natural hunters anyway(SOrry all you vegetarians out there- but humans are ominvores)if we don't complete the 'circle of life' then the wild animals over populate and starve to death. While the only things i do hunt are rodents(Woodchucks that dig holes in my horses pasture), squirrels(tasty) and deer(With a rifle not my car/truck) my dad hunts others-i just choose not to. Figured i did have to say something about that. I love being part of NRA and ARBA.
Besides, where does people think a lot of our(american) race horses end up? slaughterhouses in mexico and canada shipped as european fine dining dinners- sad fate for them, and we can't get those people to become responsible breeders, we at least are trying very hard as show and breeders of rabbits. Grrr just makes my blood boil thinking about this, soo many people would love to own a horse but can't afford to buy one and here we're shipping perfectly good ones for meat.

sorry, my rant is over

HSUS Agenda for Animals Officially Targeting the Hobby Breeder

Unless you want to become a nation of tofu burgers on the grill on the 4th of July, unless you DO NOT want a choice as to where your next purebred dog comes from...it is way past time to wake up and JOIN THE CRUSADE.

The following 12 Step plan was published in 1987, when the concept of Animal Rights was as foreign as f uzz on a frog's ***. Look at this list VERY CAREFULLY. ( Over the coming weeks, The Endangered Owner will look at each of these steps individually, so check back.)

Each and every item on that list is currently being pushed to the forefront by PETA and the HSUS. And for all of you pet owners out there that STILL do not believe the Animal Rightists want to end ALL PET BREEDING, read item number 10. They have paid off just enough members of Congress that they think they now have the ability to get HR 699 passed and that will only be the beginning.

From “Politics of Animal Liberation”

by Kim Bartlett,

published in ANIMAL AGENDA, November 1987

1. Abolish by law all animal research -I'm not really for animal testing, but I do believe that as long as the animals aren't harmed or subjected to any unncessecary pain, it's ok to a point..

2. Outlaw the use of animals for cosmetic and product testing, classroom demonstration and in weapons development -I agree with outlawing cosmetic &product testing....but classroom demonstration is for educational purposes, unless the animal lives there; that i find is wrong. No clue how they're used in weapons development, so can't really say much about that.

3. Vegetarian meals should be made available at all public institutions, including schools -Yuck, yuck and yuck! Sorry, but you'll never see me eating a veggie burger or anything .That's disgusting. I love my meat.

4. Eliminate all animal agriculture -Does that mean no 4-H too? That's just wrong....

5. No herbicides, pesticides or other agricultural chemicals. Outlaw predator control. -Ok, then how will we control weeds, and other things like that? Not such a good idea to outlaw them ;)

6. Transfer enforcement of animal welfare legislation away from the Department of Agriculture Department of Agriculture rocks.
7. Eliminate fur ranching and the use of furs. I agree with this one.

8. Prohibit hunting, trapping and fishing. That's just not good. Then we'll be overrun with wildlife. Not good. Plus, I love my seafood and my venison and jerky....

9. End the international trade in wildlife goods Not sure what it is....but I'm sure if you ended it, we'd be hurting...

10. Stop any further breeding of companion animals, including purebred dogs and cats. Spaying and neutering should be subsidized by state and municipal governments. Abolish commerce in animals for the pet trade. So then what happens when all domestic animals go extinct and then you can never have pets again? That's what would happen if you stopped all breeding of companion animals. That's just wrong.

11. End the use of animals in entertainment and sports. I too enjoy horseback riding; as well as showing my rabbits thru 4-H, and in the sport of show jumping ;)

12. Prohibit the genetic manipulation of species. No idea, but it sounds like a bad idea to prohibit it!
NOTE: This was written in 1987, long before genetic engineering and cloning. In this context, “genetic manipulation” means selective breeding”
My thoughts are in bold.

Animal use isn't necessarily animal abuse.

I take issue with pretty much everything on that list including the fur thing. I see wearing fur as being no different than wearing leather. Any of you out there own a leather belt?...hm, a hand bag perhaps? The only reason fur isn't as common place is because of its expense.

Just throwing this out there to hunters-

The idea of "population control" doesn't really make sense. Hunting is not a part of the circle of life. The circle of life is what we call the balance between life and death of the food chain. If we all left the U.S. and left wild animals to themselves, they would not overpopulate. The first few years they may, only because they have been programmed to produce more and more offspring BECAUSE OF hunting. But as the years moved on, nature would balance itself out again. So basically, hunting does control overpopulation as it is now. But if these species were not hunted by humans, they wouldn't be producing as many offspring.

I'm kind of 50/50 on hunting. I don't do it myself, but that's up to other people whether they want to or not. But I definitely don't believe that overpopulation is a justified reason to hunt.

clevername wrote:
Animal use isn't necessarily animal abuse.

I have to agree.

Myself, having worked with shelters for 15 years it always amazed me at how many places would not adopt certian breed dogs out to working homes.

I was personally denied several times, the adoption of ACDs that went in to rescues/shelters from working lifestyles because the dogs were meant to be "valued pets".

Strip away the essence of what a dog naturally does from good breeding lines and turning them into strictly "pets" can actually damage the animal/human bond in certain aspects.

As one who has always adopted animals, I'll admit that Scout came from Craigs List, possibly not the best source to get animals - and from a person who raises ACDs through working lines.

Of course, I've posted how she is a dud when it comes to her drive (but she is improving with very rudimentary training) but options were very limited, unfortunantly - and she was not an impulse decision, but an animal highly sought after and needed for a line of work. Heck - she's not even a blue, which would have been my first choice but all things considered she's a good girl to have around.

It just made me simmer to know there were animals in rescues that would have been great given their past history - but they were denied to me by ones who "know better". I'm far from knowing it all myself, but when people become so intense on certian aspects they can, at times, have very closed minds on the whole picture.

I know this veered off from rabbits, but I just wanted to add my two cents in...

and to the republic for which it stands one nation under god indivisible with liberty and justice for all-oh-oh,i forgot to say i pledge allegiance to the flag of the united states of america,.there now does anyone understand this,.we have all said it every morning of every day when we went to school,..by the way has anyone seen the new jack in the box commercial,for mini sirloin burgers,..i found it very true statement but shocking that it was aired to help sell a product,..only in america,..and these people think their way or the highway,..well,i made a choice to be kind to animals,but it doesnot mean i want to force my ways on everyone else,-or else,.but in this current dilema of political correctness,-the squeeky wheel gets the grease, no i decline the presidency at this time,...sincerely james waller

Latest posts

Back