Salt blocks

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angoralover

Reaction score
Hi there, Ialways see these salt blockthings for sale in the rabbit section in my local pet store..... do youhave to give rabbits salt blocks or can they live with out them? Youcan give them to angora rabbits, right?

Welcome to the forum, AngoraLover,

In my opinion and from what I've learned from my rabbits, a salt ringisn't necessary. If you have a good quality pellet feed consisting ofat least 18% or more of crude fiber and 12% or more of protein, it'llhave the recommended salt needed for your rabbit. What brand of pelletsdo you use?

In a lot of cases, I've seen salt rings sit in a corner, not get used, and cause rust on the cage.

-Carolyn

There is a list of rabbit references that goes back a couple of pagesthat you should check out. In there, there's a website as to what foodsare safe for rabbits.

I was actually curious about what brand of pellets you are using.

The brand I use is Heinold, a lot of folks on the forum like Purina Rabbit Chow, and the list goes on.

Except for timothy hay and water, I tend to apply everything in moderation, pellet amounts depends on the rabbit.

One of my rabbits will eat until he bursts, another must have pellets available at all times because of her metabolism.

Some greens you have to be careful of which is why I'm referring you to the 'Rabbit References' post.

-Carolyn

angoralover wrote:
thanx for the reply....i give my rabbit gourmet rabbit foodmost of the time.
What do you mean by gourmet rabbit food?

I've NEVER heard that before to tell you thetruth. It has LOTS of nutrients and isn't boring like plain pellets allthe time. I've been feeding my rabbits this for two years now, and theyare VERY healthy.

Someone once told me that anything packaged (as opposed to bulk) wasn't good for them.

why would it be not healthy if it is packaged????Don't they package it to make the food fresh??? and anyways don't youbuy normal pellets in packages??? I don't believe the person that toldyou that, its not true.

Some "gourmet" feedsare criticised for containingingredients detrimental to rabbits' health, such as too much corn,sugar and other carbodydrates. These feeds are most oftenfound at local pet stores or mallchain pet storeslikePetCo. and Pet*Smart.

Knowledgeable pet owners, breeders, and fanciers tend to buy theirrabbits' feed from reputable animal and livestock feed stores, where itis apt to be fresher and of higher quality. Somesuch feed names that come to mind are Purina, Heinold, Blue Seal,Nutreena, OxBow, and others.

While I know relatively little about angora breeds, I have read theyneed a feed with a higher than usual protein content due to the drainplaced on their bodily resources by the rapidly growing coat.I believe 18% protein is recommended.

Pet store packaging is often designed to appeal to the owner and theowner's sense of what is good, not necessarily for what ishealthy for the rabbit. Yogurtdrops, for example,have no saving graces, other than rabbits will scarf them up.They love them, but they are predominantly sugar.

Don't misunderstand me, I give our buns an occasional yogurt drop, butthey are few and far between and not a regular part of their daily diet.

Buck

Lissa wrote:
I heard that stuff is bad for them.
Hi Lissa,

I, too, understand that Kaytee leaves much to be desired as to whatthey offer in the way of fiber and protein in their foods.Haven't had a breeder or veterinarian recommend it yet.

People often think that the things our rabbits love the best must bepleasing to the eye and palet. Seeds arehigh in fatand I'm careful with fruit as it is loaded with sugar. Themore 'boring' pellets seem to be the best in way of providing yourrabbit with their needs.

Personally, I would never feed Kaytee foods to my rabbits.

That is one beautiful bunny, angoralover! What a little beast!

-Carolyn

angoralover wrote:
I don't just use Fiesta, I use Purina a lot also....so itsnot like i'm killing my rabbits. And I don't think Fiesta is so harmfultho.

No one's accusing you of 'killing your rabbits.' Lissa ismerely pointing out something that she thought might be of value to you.

-Carolyn

Latest posts

Back